Travelling across America

CuckedByMenry

• Paid Members

I've been thinking about going over there for a few weeks next year to visit several of the not-so-touristy places, and I was wondering if anyone here had done likewise. I'm planning on doing some coach travel/cheapish hotel stays and to hopefully go around the time as the Royal Rumble. Any tips much appreciated.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I backpacked up the east coast, staying in YMCAs and travelling by bus. During my month there I was shot at, threatened with a house-brick, slept on the porch of a hostel after being locked out, had someone urinate into my backpack, got diarrhoea, was sexually assaulted by a Hispanic girl, ate a square burger, nearly died at the hands of a drugs-fuelled German bus driver, slept overnight in a 24-hour cinema, was involved in a riot in Harlem, and killed a Tamogotchi.

So, yeah, do that.

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, I did it a few years ago. Started in NY and went anti-clockwise to Toronto, Chicago, Rapid City, Vancouver, Seattle, San Fran, Yosemite, Vegas, LA, San Diego and Flagstaff. I was due to carry on and go across the southern half and back up the east coast, but I met two fit girls in Flagstaff who convinced me to go back to Vegas for a week and then back to San Fran for another. After that detour, I then cut across the country to get back on track and went to Chicago again and over to Cleveland before heading back to New York for my flight home. There's not one leg of that journey I wouldn't do again. Obviously most of the places are very touristy so may not be what you had in mind, but if any of the places I mentioned are near your eventual route then I'd recommend checking them out. I'd agree with Surf about the Dave Gorman documentary, too.

Last year I did a mini-road trip which took in Portland (Maine), Boston, Newport (Rhode Island), Stamford and New York. Aside from Stamford, I'd recommend all of those places if you decide to start off up in the north east of the country.

With regards to travel, I got a Greyhound Discovery Pass which is perfect for what you need. It lasted from 60 days after your first journey so you can get a hell of a lot of travel in during that time and it's incredible value for money. It covers trips to and from Canada, too, so you're not limited to just the USA. I got mine from STA Travel before I went so it's one less hassle when you get there and you just activate it when you book your first ticket. Assuming they still do them, that is.

For digs, you can't really go wrong by using HI Hostels. Again, if the offer is still on, you used to be able to get a card stamped so every x number of nights you'd get a free night. A lot of them throw a basic breakfast in which I used to attack every morning to keep food expenditure down. Another benefit of hostels is how easy they make meeting other people in a similar situation.

Wherever you're considering and for however long you can afford, do it. The main trip I did 4 years ago was the best thing I ever did.

Frankie, I think you'll agree that American girls love British accents. My advice is to start somewhere sunny like Miami so you can get a bit of a tan first, as they're not so keen on pallid Europeans.

• Awards Moderator
Frankie, I think you'll agree that American girls love British accents. My advice is to start somewhere sunny like Miami so you can get a bit of a tan first, as they're not so keen on pallid Europeans.

Absolutely. For some reason, though, I ended up trying to get off with a girl from Norwich. If you want to go for the tanned look Stug, I'd also recommend not watching a footy match at 10am in the pub and then falling asleep in the blistering heat for two hours in a local park. The American girls love a tanned Brit, but not so much the lobster look.

photo2.jpg

Frankie was indeed crisp that day.

Last year I got a 14 day discovery pass and travelled from LA to New York. Stopped off in Phoenix (for Mania), Roswell, Memphis, Athens (Georgia), DC and Philly where my pass expired and I spent a few days before carrying on to New York. Stayed in cheap hotels in Phoenix, Roswell, Memphis and Philly, stayed with friends in Athens and NY, and hostelled it in LA and DC. I've gone into my trip in a lot more detail on here before, so I don't want to bore everyone again, but message me if there's anything you want more details on.

• Paid Members

I'm planning to do East to West Coast in the Spring, but driving instead of taking the bus. I did the Greyhound bus thing from San Fran-LA-Phoenix and The Grand Canyon area last year, so would like to try driving. I'm undecided if I'll time it in with going to Mania and starting in Miami, or to start up North in Boston or Detroit or somewhere like that and see The Great Lakes, working my way SW from there. I'll not be doing the round trip I wouldn't think, to keep costs down, so would probably fly in on the east coast and out of San Diego or Seattle.

• Paid Members

Don't come to Buffalo, lol. Haha, it's not THAT bad. Lived in the US almost 2 years and I've only been to places in New York State, PA and NJ. Pretty sad really. My husband is from Syracuse, NY so we're probably going to move back that way eventually. We're still in Buffalo because it's where he went to College. There are a TON of places I want to go. Mainly in New England... Cape Cod, Maine and all that area.

We live 20 minutes away from Niagara Falls which is pretty damn awesome. If you can in your lifetime, see the Falls.

The only issue we have with going on a road trip is our car in on a lease, so we can't do more than 12,000 miles per year without paying a fortune in extra milage. So if we do do it (it is a goal of ours) we'll be renting something.

I personally found NYC to be extremely underwhelming.

I spend three months in 2000 traveling out there.

Started in San Fransisco, on to LA, San Diego, Mexico (for a day), Las Vegas, Dallas, San Antonio, New Orleans, Philly then New York.

Probably the best fun I have ever had in my life. Greyhound buses and hostels all the way, except a week of comfort in LA at my Aunt's house. Highlights were probably the awesome weather in San Fran (and general friendliness), the party atmosphere in New Orleans, the Vegas rollercoasters and the sights of NY city. Managed to catch two ECW shows, one in Texas, one in the Arena in philly. Visited the Nitro Grill, saw the Dallas Sportatorium and the Alamo Dome. Wandered around at MSG. A wrestling fan's dream.

Plenty of potential danger, but nothing at all happened. Slept for three nights in a park in between two hoods in Philly, had dodgy drug wielding Taxi drivers try and pretty much take my bag and try to put it in their cab. Bus stations are rife with mentals and criminals. All good fun though.

All the bus stations seem to be in crack den areas. It's probably best to look like you're one of them and that you are broke too, but having said that I had no problems.

People WILL talk to you in them as well. For a multitude of reasons. Be polite, and humour them as much as you can and you'll be fine. Don't dismiss them straight out, or they get angry, whether they're a crack dealer, or an old woman wanting a chinwag.

Archived