Travelling across America

CuckedByMenry

• Awards Moderator

You're also guaranteed to have at least one mad bloke who wanders around the station in a long coat shouting at anything he sees. People, doors, benches, pigeons, wall sockets; the lot. Whatever you do, don't make eye contact.

I also saw lots of Amish families who for no logical explanation used to make me a bit uneasy. Not as much as the mad blokes, mind.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you all do these trips in groups or did anyone go it alone? Thinking of doing the latter as none of my mates have any bloody money and I'll be too old for it soon.

I did it alone. Wasn't a problem at all. Although some company would have been nice at points it was good being able to go wherever I wanted without having to discuss it with anyone and just make my own decisions on the fly. How old do you think is too old to go to America, out of interest?

• Awards Moderator

I was 28 when I did it and also did it alone. Apart from the odd 'aren't you a bit old to be doing this?' comment from a load of students, I didn't feel that the age thing was a major factor. Doing it on my own was also the best thing, I thought. It gives you the freedom to come and go as you please and meeting people at each city isn't an issue especially if you stay in hostels. The only time I felt lonely was Rapid City, but that was because it's a bit of an isolated place in the middle of a sandpit. From the experience I had meeting people who were travelling in groups/twos, it can get a bit tetchy and there were a few fall outs along the way.

I went with two mates, which made the whole experience much more hilarious I think. We were a bit braver in a pack than we would have been on our own (I was only 21) and got into more scrapes as a result. Splitting cabs and the like makes things cheaper, plus food portions in America are huge, so you can save money by sharing some of the giant meals they serve over there.

There were definitely a few fall-outs though - in fact my friend and I got in a fight over a girl in a New York bar, and indeed he stayed on after we flew back as he started a relationship with her. She turned out to be a fucking headcase in the end though, so it was a lucky escape for me.

If you DO travel with friends, remember the golden rule - never screw a mate over a bird.

• Paid Members
I went with two mates, which made the whole experience much more hilarious I think. We were a bit braver in a pack than we would have been on our own (I was only 21) and got into more scrapes as a result. Splitting cabs and the like makes things cheaper, plus food portions in America are huge, so you can save money by sharing some of the giant meals they serve over there.

There were definitely a few fall-outs though - in fact my friend and I got in a fight over a girl in a New York bar, and indeed he stayed on after we flew back as he started a relationship with her. She turned out to be a fucking headcase in the end though, so it was a lucky escape for me.

If you DO travel with friends, remember the golden rule - never screw a mate over a bird.

Which bar, out of interest?

• Moderators
Last year I did a mini-road trip which took in Portland (Maine), Boston, Newport (Rhode Island)

Funnily enough I've lived in those three places. Portland is still my favourite I think.

Frankie, I think you'll agree that American girls love British accents.

This is true, but...

She turned out to be a fucking headcase

So is this a lot of the time

I've been all over the states, but only ever went alone once, for a show in msg. Didn't have much money at all so stayed in an airport hotel in new jersey. As much as I love NYC and have been countless times, I was still a bit nervy being there alone. Was a good feeling catching the bus outta there back to Newark.

I was in America for 5 days but as NYC hotels were so expensive and I didn't fancy an airport hotel for an entire trip, I found it cheaper to get an internal flight to Vegas and stay in hooters for 4 nights.

Was great! spent the rest of the trip laying by the pool in the blistering sun, perving and drinking dollar bud light!

Was one of the most chilled out weeks of my life!

• Awards Moderator
Last year I did a mini-road trip which took in Portland (Maine), Boston, Newport (Rhode Island)

Funnily enough I've lived in those three places. Portland is still my favourite I think.

It's a lovely place, Portland. Very quaint and we would have liked to have stayed there for longer. The locals were really welcoming and we found some great little places for drinks, especially the Dogfish Bar & Grille on Free Street. Would love to go back at some point as I'm sure we only scratched the surface in the few days were there.

In Boston, I met a girl there and got all smitten like a big soft bastard, so it holds very fond memories for me. Can't remember a thing about the place itself!

Newport was fun, mainly because we got in with a cracking group of people who we met in Buskers bar during an open mic night. I found it lovely in the day time but you can practically smell the contempt from some of the locals when they can see you're not as well-off as they are.

Archived