The Great Stories from Shoot Interviews Thread

Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members

A thread for those short anecdotes you get in shoots which are just priceless. I'll kick off with one from a Ronnie Gossett shoot I was listening to yesterday :

[Jim] Barnett had his own thing going, he was openly gay...and I remember a story one time when Robert Fuller was booking for Jim Barnett, and he was at Jim Barnett's apartment, and Jim Barnett said to him "Robert my boy! Climb up on that bed; take your shoes off and climb up on that bed." And Robert thought, "oh my goodness, it's finally time", because at the time Robert was a young guy, he probably thought "here it is, it's gonna happen." So he reluctantly took his shoes off, climbed on the bed, and Jim said "straighten that picture up Robert, it's crooked on the left side." So that's the story of how Robert Fuller got terrified to death.

:laugh:

• Paid Members

There was a Botchamania a while back that had a clip of John 'Berzerker' Nord's shoot where he tells a story about "The Muffler"

Basically, when he first broke into the biz he was backstage at a show and noticed Dusty and load of other big lads rolling a wad of toilet paper around their hand and then wedging it up the arse crack. This was used to stop the fatter lads leaking... fluids onto their trunks during matches. Nord was informed that this was called "The Muffler".

So one night he's got a match with Dusty. Just before they go out Dusty asks him "You gotcho Muffla een Big Johnnay?" but Nord said he didn't need one.

Late on in the match Nord has to give Dusty a piledriver. He tries to grab around the waist but Dusty is too big. He tries to pull him by the trunks but this doesn't work. At this point he see's the promoter staring daggers at him for blowing the finish spot so John just grabs Dusty by the ass cheeks and nails the piledriver. Once they hit the ground, Dusty says "Johnnay..... Johnnay.... ma muffla fell out Johnnay" And sure enough, there on the canvas is a shitty, bloody, wet lump of toilet paper.

A redneck fan may have shouted something "HEY YOUR TAMPON FELL OUT!" I believe.

i'll echo the benoit story from the londrick shoot, there are some amazing stories from that one.

from punk and joe's shoot, the whole of the transvetite club in england story involving corino and punk. in fact, the second 90 mins of that is absolute gold (the first stuff is great for their thoughts on wwe, wrestling and their matches too, especially considering where they are now).

from a 1pw steve corino shoot, the story about sheik doing a promo at a fundraiser where the whole crowd was jewish ('the jews....you run the hollywood!'). also another great one about tommy rich ribbing corino for being a 'faggot' for months in ecw.

from raven and sandman' shoot, while there is A LOT of good stuff on there, the two things that stand out is sandman's "Go Away" rug and the "dont worry...i'm a doctor story" story from the barely legal ppv; this latter story was basically about raven's room-mate who was a foot doctor and raven got him a gig as the ecw doctor, so on the ppv night where they're almost running out of time before the raven/funk match, heyman's going nuts shouting at this doctor to go out and do his bit with funk, only for the doctor to turn to him and say, 'dont worry...i'm a doctor'. it doesnt sound like much, but the build-up raven gives it and the way he tells is superb.

from the nash rf shoot, a kliq story about the crew out of their minds on pills at a hotel where there was a police-convention; kevin has to walk waltman out through this whole force without them detecting anything, only when shawn starts shaking from a fit, they resort to telling the police he's epileptic and they see him off in an ambulance to keep up the ruse.

too many to think off the top of my head. more recently, cliff compton's nigeria travels has been much lauded on here as it should

• Paid Members

Ronnie Gossett was supposed to be a bit of a character. According to the Raven and Honky Tonk Man shoot interview, he sold Jim Barnett's territory several times (even though he didnt own it). A woman once turned up to Georgia Championship Wrestling and Barnett said "who are you". And she said "I own the territory, Ronnie Gossett sold it to me". And Barnett had to tell her where to go.

• Paid Members
When you hear/read about how Dynamite and Davey used to act it's hard not to take Jauques side to be honest.

I do like Dynamite's book, but he comes off as a right prick who's never took a hook in his life. So I was delighted to hear El Mountie's side back when. Plus, the Macho Man impression always raises a giggle from me...

On the flip side is Bad News Brown's account of the incident, who obviously takes Dynamite Kids side, but tells a wonderful story. Actually, his shoot is probably my fave of all time.

• Paid Members
Ronnie Gossett was supposed to be a bit of a character. According to the Raven and Honky Tonk Man shoot interview, he sold Jim Barnett's territory several times (even though he didnt own it). A woman once turned up to Georgia Championship Wrestling and Barnett said "who are you". And she said "I own the territory, Ronnie Gossett sold it to me". And Barnett had to tell her where to go

Yeah, they asked Gossett that in his shoot and he confirmed it. "God damn that fucking Gossett...." :laugh:

The Corino/ Rich story is pretty funny too. Basically Corino had been a huge Tommy Rich fan growing up, and when he went to ECW Rich was working there. So Corino tells him, and Rich says "wow. If I'd have know that at the time...I would have killed myself! You fucking faggot, get the fuck out of my sight." So then for weeks afterwards every time Corino goes into the locker room, Rich goes "faggot". And it's getting to the point where Corino's ready to fight Rich - fight his idol. Anyway, Lance Diamond starts, and Paul E tells him that he's going to team with Corino, and Rich is going to be their manager. Diamond goes up to Rich and introduces himself - "it's an honour to meet you sir" etc. Rich looks at him and says "Hey Corino! Look at this kid! Looks like we got ourselves a good old-fashioned faggot! This is a mans locker room boy, me and Steve don;t like faggots." A couple of minutes later he goes up to Corino and says "Hey Corino, you want to go and get something to eat later?" Corino : "I thought you hated me?!?" Rich : "I never hated you. Hate that Lance Diamond though." One of the greatest ribs ever.

• Paid Members
Dexter its Simon Diamond not Lance

Didn't he start out as Lance Diamond?

Archived