What is British wrestling coming to?

Ravenhill Promotions

• Paid Members

Whiskey Jim has covered what I was going to say in reply, really. You'd have thought Ravenhill would have had his posters up in the market centres and around the town long enough by now for people to recognise his brand of wrestling. I'm not really to bothered about his subject really, I'm just trying to throw stuff out to get a response as to why this is a massive problem for him. It just seems a bit over the top to be squaring up to people asking people not to "run in my territory, brother". I mean how many shows is this shitarse promoting? Cant imagine its enough to make a dent. There has been several posters up around our town centre. Your regular IWF posters which occassionally have the likes of Road Dogg on. Then you'll see the shittest poster up in your life and it completely stands out as not being very appealing.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said, some of these posters will looks like a turd and probably would be enough to put some people off. That doesn't account for the half-decent posters though, that would be enough to fool (for example) a mother who knows her kids like wrestling. She takes the family to the show (assuming it's the same people as it's at the same town hall) and they watch a really shitty show, with kids barely older than her children having wreckless matches.

I honestly think that the vast majority of casual folk who might decide to take the nippers to a local wrestling show are barely gonna take much notice of the poster outside the chippy. They'll just look for the date, venue and prices.

All it takes is one awful show to decide "well, that was a waste of money. Won't do that again, I'll just take 'em to the WWE once a year like I used to".

I doubt Vince sits in his office worried about RoH or Backyard Wrestling coming to town on a WWE night !

That line right there shows you've missed the point as many others seem to be doing. Is it really that hard for people to read a thread and try and take in what people are saying before wading in with their opinions? The reasons why this sort of thing is an issue have been pretty clearly explained by people with an inside knowledge of it. I don't know why people still have trouble getting their head round it.

At no point has this discussion been about competition.

Thank you DJ Kris.

This is NOT a question about competition at all, anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely thrive on competition. I operate three businesses outside of wrestling that generete a combined annual revenue of nearly a million pounds, those businesses are security, cleaning and marquees. As a small security firm I compete with the likes of national firms G4S, Reliance, Loomis etc as a small cleaning firm I compete with the likes of Mitie, OCS etc and as a small marquee firm I compete with the likes of Danco...And its this competition that gets me out of bed every morning, its why I work 80 hours a week, so to be accused of 'fearing competition' I find very offensive. My issue with Mr Shitarse is the lack of legality in his operation, I compete with G4S etc because its on a level playing ground, they have the same documentation as me, Mr Shitarse is nothing like that. Me and Orig used to run some of the same areas and neither of us had a problem because we both knew we were putting on good shows, so somebody attending Orig's show wouldn't be put off attending my show and vice versa. Once again, with Mr Shitarse this is not the case, they're using untrained wrestlers who will make a mockery out of wrestling.

Now as for threatening him in the street?? That's simply not true. Like i've mentioned, I own and operate a security firm, and if I was to attack/harrass somebody in the street then i'd be liable to criminal charges, which could result in me losing my SIA security operating licence. So no matter how upset I might be, i'd never do anything that stupid. All I done was approach the guy and ask him a few questions, in a friendly manner. Now he's obviously a liar because he told his mammy differently.

Somebody said I don't know this guys background? Well I do, he was a trainee at Dragon Pro and when he asked about making his debut, Mike Bird honestly and fairly told him he wasn't ready yet. So this guy decided that he was, and not only was he going to run wrestling shows but he's also going to open a school and start training people!! I'm not the only person in wrestling in Wales who has an issue with this, i'm just the guy willing to do something about it.

Someone on here accused me of trying to be "the wrestling police for Wales", well call it what you want, but I genuinely think i'm in the right here, in fact I wish I adopted this attitude a few years ago, because if I was "The Welsh wrestling policeman" in 2009, then maybe, just maybe, Nik Bali would still be walking today!

Oh, and as for my shows dying on their arse, thats false. I sold out my last show, and thus far have sold 40% of the seats of my Cwmbran show which is four weeks away, and my November 11th show in Blaengarw has already sold out. Once again, my issue with Mr Shitarse is more to do with principle and legality, than competition.

• Paid Members
Oh, and as for my shows dying on their arse, thats false. I sold out my last show, and thus far have sold 40% of the seats of my Cwbrab show which is for weeks away, and my November 11th show in Blaengarw has already sold out. Once again, my issue with Mr Shitarse is more to do with principle and legality, than competition.

Whats your problem then? I'm even more confused now.

Oh, and as for my shows dying on their arse, thats false. I sold out my last show, and thus far have sold 40% of the seats of my Cwbrab show which is for weeks away, and my November 11th show in Blaengarw has already sold out. Once again, my issue with Mr Shitarse is more to do with principle and legality, than competition.

Originally it seemed to be the possibility it could kill his territory.

Now it's a matter of principle that he just won't stand for poor quality wrestling in his territory.

Also, he runs a security firm and cleaning firm (quite the facilities manager!). I'm wondering if he's likely to have a chat with dave courtney about the illegality in his security firm, to ensure there's a level playing field.

(I realise this is very out of date, but I'm very out of date with which security companies are shadey these days).

And he seems to a bit confused about only competing with mitie and possibly ocs on cleaning, sure mitie has a security side, ocs definately does. And competing with G4S on small security contracts is a piece of piss, you don't need the sort of hi-tech equipment they factor in, and you don't need to work on such large margins to keep the shareholders happy.

Small 84's and 168's you should piss over them all day and night, and with the lack of representation from the big boys in wales picking up business should be no problem.

I'm half tempted to turn up and run you out of business meself, but it would involve going back into security and moving/commuting alot to wales. And fuck that for a game of soldiers, quite frankly.

Like I say to people, the money I make from wrestling is chump change compared to my other businesses, but the difference is - I fucking love professional wrestling! I'm a fan just like everyone on here. I'm passionate about it! It's why I work hard to put on the best shows I can within reason. And it genuinely angers me when some cowboy comes along and makes a mockery out of our sport, not just in Wales, but all over the UK too, by running dreadful shows with joking wrestlers. Thats my gripe!

And where I was going with this thread was "Why do we let it happen?". Yes, if they're all legal there's nothing that can be done, but most of us know that that's not the case. So why do we let it happen and how do we eliminate it?

And where I was going with this thread was "Why do we let it happen?". Yes, if they're all legal there's nothing that can be done, but most of us know that that's not the case. So why do we let it happen and how do we eliminate it?

And the counter point is, who fucking cares? So some wrestling shows are shit, some are good, some are great.

You can substitute wrestling for any other entertainment, business, entertainment medium, anything.

In what world would wrestling by the only thing where everything is good? Surely it's a bit stupid.

Take drum and bass as an example, there's good raves and very bad raves, people go to the good ones, the bad ones die out. More bad ones take their place. Then die out. But Jungle fever, one nation, breakin science et al, they keep going strong because they deliver every time. They don't need to worry about the shit with one half decent dj, one half decent mc and the rest just a wannabe promotor and his mates playing at knowing what they're doing. Because their stuff stands head and shoulders above it all. And fans will realise that and stay with em, as long as they produce the goods.

There really are a lot of snipey, know-it-all keyboard warriors on this forum who irritate the hell out of me.

Lets stop and go back to the original post without getting things confused.

Shitarse is running a shitarse show in an established promoters area. Established promoter does the RIGHT thing by confronting said shitarse, by all accounts in a polite and non-violent manner, to enquire about whether or not he is qualified to run a show and put wrestlers ( i use that term losely) at risk. Shitarse gets his mummy.

And the problem is what? I, for one, Mr Ravenhill, applaud your actions. If more promoters, and wrestlers, stood up to these numpty's and did what we could to stop them diseasing the business, then maybe British wrestling could be respected once again.

There really are a lot of snipey, know-it-all keyboard warriors on this forum who irritate the hell out of me.

You should start offering people out for fights/bike races then.

Shitarse is running a shitarse show in an established promoters area. Established promoter does the RIGHT thing by confronting said shitarse, by all accounts in a polite and non-violent manner,

Not by all accounts.

Shitarse gets his mummy.

He sounds like a right homosexual-American.

Lets stop and go back to the original post without getting things confused.

Shitarse is running a shitarse show in an established promoters area. Established promoter does the RIGHT thing by confronting said shitarse, by all accounts in a polite and non-violent manner, to enquire about whether or not he is qualified to run a show and put wrestlers ( i use that term losely) at risk. Shitarse gets his mummy.

And the problem is what? I, for one, Mr Ravenhill, applaud your actions. If more promoters, and wrestlers, stood up to these numpty's and did what we could to stop them diseasing the business, then maybe British wrestling could be respected once again.

I wouldnt refer to myself as 'know-it-all keyboard warrior', I think maybe there are some people on this forum that know a bit more about the wrestling business than perhaps you give them credit for... especially Ian, who whilst I have not always agreed with, is usually pretty spot on with his opinions. One particularly good point that Ian made was what your problem actually is. If you doing good business, Alan (and I have no doubt you are), why are you even bothered about this.... Im sure Brian Dixon couldnt give a flying fuck about what everyone else is doing as he continues to be the number one promoter in this country.

Good point, I really must remember not to argue back.

I too applaud mr ravenhill, without his stern and righteous actions someone might have put on a bad wrestling show, or possibly a good one, depending on who he booked and how he booked it. Or possibly that person still is, or not, it's hard to tell.

Nonetheless, I think he has struck a vital and productive blow for british wrestling, and I have no doubt that if everyone accosted and questionned people they felt may be involved in a similar business venture but to a lesser standard the wrestling world, indeed the world as a whole, would be a brighter and more wonderful place.

Flowers would smell sweeter, ladies would have better breats, and take it up the ass more, bambi's mum would have made it.

It's out there guys, all you have to do is have stern words with people putting on wrestling shows you don't approve of.

Live the dream.

Shitarse is running a shitarse show in an established promoters area. Established promoter does the RIGHT thing by confronting said shitarse, by all accounts in a polite and non-violent manner,

Not by all accounts.

Ok, maybe not by all accounts, but as a respectful businessman, surely Ravenhill's word is good enough until the other fella proves otherwise?

It's out there guys, all you have to do is have stern words with people putting on wrestling shows you don't approve of.

It's not just that Ravenhill doesn't approve though, is it? The event is illegal. Ravenhill already said that should the event be insured, licensed, whatever, he'd happily play nicely, but it isn't.

Ok, maybe not by all accounts, but as a respectful businessman, surely Ravenhill's word is good enough until the other fella proves otherwise?

Not at all, the blokes not put the show on yet, in what world is alan deciding it's gonna be shit mean anything at all yet? Bloke hasn't even put it on yet, it might be spectacular!

It's not just that Ravenhill doesn't approve though, is it? The event is illegal. Ravenhill already said that should the event be insured, licensed, whatever, he'd happily play nicely, but it isn't.

And how the fuck does he know that? Cos he reckons it probably isn't?

Archived