What is British wrestling coming to?

Ravenhill Promotions

I'm probably going to get a bashing for this thread, but it's whats on my mind at the moment, so be interesting to see what others think.

Today i've been contacted by another 'promoters' mummy, who threatened me with police action for apparently intimidating her son in the street. It's a load of rubbish because all I done was approach him and enquire as to why he felt the need to run a shitarse promotion in my hometown, and whether or not he had the legal documentation to be able to run a show.

Anyway, thats here nor there, what it got me thinking about was why is British wrestling full of little boys? In a business where so many people pride themselves on masculinity and toughness, where the hell did these little chicken-shits come from? and why do we tolerate them? I've been in business since I was 19 years old, not just wrestling, but other industries too, and in all those years i've never had somebodys mummy contact me and tell me off for my business practices, it's an absolute joke!

It also got me thinking, how the hell do you get rid of these idiots? Preferably without their mummies getting involved. My solution in Wales is to either have a word with them or to go to the local authority and have all they documents checked out. What do others think is the best route to go?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It always seems strange to me how little there is in the way of people (well, wrestlers) who have been screwed about seeking physical, fist-to-face answers from certain promoters.

I can't fathom how some of these 'promoters' seem to get away with it? Didn't Danny Rodd fail to pay talent on more than one occasion? Same for probably plenty of others. Now, i know it's not the 1940s and violence probably isn't the answer, but it amazes me they these promoters seem to get away with shit, time after time. In any line of work, if you travelled miles and did a job, only to be lied to or ignored by "the boss" you'd fucking kick right off wouldn't you?

Frankly, a lot of these shitarse promoters should have been punched in the face the first time they royally screwed someone over, that way they might have thought twise about running the same cons time and time again.

The unfortunate truth of the matter is that that neither BritWres nor the authorities are interested in stopping shitarse promotions. I recently attempted to get a backyarders-with-a-ring show shut down and couldn't get anyone from the local council to the licensing people to the Police to take an interest. Wrestling in this country is seen by pretty much everyone as a joke and until someone gets injured or dies nobody will care.

One thing that annoys me massively about wrestling is established people who continue to just work for exes. Show some proud in yourself and your work and ask for more. It's one thing to work for just exes when you are a trainee but it massively undercuts other workers once you have made a name for yourself. If you've worked for free as a trainee on someones shows 2-3 times and you keep continuing to work for free you need to look at yourself.

Anyway, thats here nor there, what it got me thinking about was why is British wrestling full of little boys? In a business where so many people pride themselves on masculinity and toughness, where the hell did these little faggots come from? and why do we tolerate them? I've been in business since I was 19 years old, not just wrestling, but other industries too, and in all those years i've never had somebodys mummy contact me and tell me off for my business practices, it's an absolute joke!

And that is where you lose the moral high ground. To quote a mod,

Dial down the homophobia, you closet-case.

I agree with the sentiment - There are lots of promotions that seem to be run by kids, no insurance etc.

Some kind of local authority intervention might be a good idea. You can always refer any live event to the local authority who will chase the promoter for evidence of permits if they are needed. And its the responsibility of any venue to make sure that events have the appropriate insurance.

where the hell did these little faggots come from?

Inappropriate (in my opinion)

you know what i agree first hand here.

i promoted a few shows when i was 15 and they failed terribly. ill tell you a story and im ashamed of it but fuck me i deserved it. i promoted a show in Bolton 5 years ago that fell flat on its face. it was doomed from the start but i was young and my vision was hazy and retarded. anywho i booked a woman who's name escapes me for some reason but she was going out with a big guy and by big i meannnnnn big. who turned out to be none other than wxw's BAD BONES. anyways the show kicks off and i found out before my match i couldn't pay the boys. i did the whole ecw stick and said we can bla bla bla and bacicly mr bones took me outside and threatened to fucking kill me. and you know what i fucking deserved it. ive lost alot of true mates because of my stupidity and i should have fucking got my teeth knocked out. i think people who do the same should expect violence becaulse they will keep running shows....

Before homophobe accusations get thrown at me as well :rolleyes: Where i'm from we call chicken-shits 'Faggots', so thats what I mean by that term, nothing homophobic meant from it.

or you know, you could edit the post, apologise for the inapproriate comments and go back to making what was originally a good point.

Before homophobe accusations get thrown at me as well :rolleyes: Where i'm from we call chicken-shits 'Faggots', so thats what I mean by that term, nothing homophobic meant from it.

I know what you mean, where I come from, we call casual homophobes "Niggers" but there is nothing racist about it.

or you know, you could edit the post, apologise for the inapproriate comments and go back to making what was originally a good point.

The original post has been edited.

So what's worse?

A Brad Flash NWL type that only attracts 2 people?

The backyarder types?

Staniforth's PTW that features shit arses in front of just a little more people?

AJ Spitfire who's shows with Bret Hart & Ric Flair never materialize and he gets laughed at from the start?

Or the Danny Rodd 1PW's that take hundreds of pounds off people and then disappear into the night when the shows are cancelled?

They're all faggots. But I don't mean that in a homophobic insult way.

Except for Brad Flash. Fucking faggot.

So what's worse?

A Brad Flash NWL type that only attracts 2 people?

The backyarder types?

Staniforth's PTW that features shit arses in front of just a little more people?

AJ Spitfire who's shows with Bret Hart & Ric Flair never materialize and he gets laughed at from the start?

Or the Danny Rodd 1PW's that take hundreds of pounds off people and then disappear into the night when the shows are cancelled?

They're all faggots. But I don't mean that in a homophobic insult way.

Except for Brad Flash. Fucking faggot.

Danny Rodd is obviously a con man who should be jailed.

I've never heard of Brad Flash or the NWL, same goes for AJ Spitfire.

I can only refer to the shitarse 'promoters' who attempt to run shows in Wales, doing it without the required documentation and using skinny 'wrestlers' who haven't been trained properly.

Archived