What is British wrestling coming to?

Ravenhill Promotions

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read through the first few pages, and then skipped some as there seemed to be a lot to read, so sorry if I've missed something here.

Going back to the question at hand... 'What is British Wrestling coming to?' To be honest, I think it's seen a huge improvement over the past couple of years. I've been to my fair share of shows this year and watched quite a sum of Brit-Wres DvD's. The shows around the country seem to be getting so much better then they was a couple of years ago, especially up here in the North.

In 2008, the only good wrestling shows in the North for me was when 1PW would run Donny Dome. Other then that, you didn't really see or hear much of anything else. Then I saw a show advertised in Swinton for the previously mentioned in this thread, NWL. It was one of the first times I had tasted British Wrestling outside of All Star and 1PW, and I wasn't that impressed. Again, guys like Brad Flash and a few other guys were on the show, and you almost felt as though they should be paying you to watch them. There was a handful of impressive guys there, such as El Ligero (who I recognised from 1PW) and it was the first time I saw Kris Travis and Joey Hayes, a couple of guys who stood out and impressed me.

Then I went to a show in Wolverhampton which was ran by Johnny the Body, I won't go into detail. I think most of us have seen Johnny the Body, heard about his shows, or at least know his name and the reputation that comes with it, so you'll know what I'm talking about. And then after a few more of these British Wrestling shows I almost started giving in. 1PW went into 'liquidation' and then I just felt as though British Wrestling would never be for me.

But these past couple of years I have seen some spectacular British Wrestling shows. From Dynamic Pro Wrestling in Leeds, to IPW:UK, the return of the FWA, PBW in Scotland, Future Shock Wrestling, New Generation Wrestling, and XWA! I think these places and more are leading British Wrestling into a golden age, putting on spectacular shows that never leave people disappointed.

Even as a casual fan I learnt a few lessons on the way, and if I gave advice to anyone who's looking to start watching British Wrestling, I'd tell them to stay away from working-men's clubs... As 85% of those shows are rotten. Oh, and UKW. That place is like AIDS.

Ok, maybe not by all accounts, but as a respectful businessman, surely Ravenhill's word is good enough until the other fella proves otherwise?

It might be (though I'm suspicious of anyone who says they work in the security industry). Regardless, the fella there was saying that "by all accounts" it was a friendly chat, but one of the two people involved in the chat didn't think so.

One particularly good point that Ian made was what your problem actually is. If you doing good business, Alan (and I have no doubt you are), why are you even bothered about this.... Im sure Brian Dixon couldnt give a flying fuck about what everyone else is doing as he continues to be the number one promoter in this country.

He doesn't want dickheads killing themselves and his promotion in his industry/towns/venues. Which is fair enough, but the "what do we do to stop it?" stuff is a bit much. This is a fan forum, not an NWA committee meeting. Most of us don't follow the mediocre BritWres anymore than we follow the shitarses, and tend to only take notice of it all when one of the BritWres characters does or says something silly (which is why Staniforth is the most well-known personality on the British scene on here).

Ok, maybe not by all accounts, but as a respectful businessman, surely Ravenhill's word is good enough until the other fella proves otherwise?

Not at all, the blokes not put the show on yet, in what world is alan deciding it's gonna be shit mean anything at all yet? Bloke hasn't even put it on yet, it might be spectacular!

It's out there guys, all you have to do is have stern words with people putting on wrestling shows you don't approve of.

It's not just that Ravenhill doesn't approve though, is it? The event is illegal. Ravenhill already said that should the event be insured, licensed, whatever, he'd happily play nicely, but it isn't.

And how the fuck does he know that? Cos he reckons it probably isn't?

Kiffy, for some reason you've taken it upon yourself to dislike me, but that's ok, i'll still answer your questions without the need to use profanity towards you.

The companies first action of business is to open a training school in the town that I run a training school, and that is supposed to be starting this friday. Now, take this as you find it, but his mother has told me they don't have insurance because, and I quote "We don't need insurance to run a training school".

Secondly, they haven't advertised it on posters that I know of, but they have been telling people on facebook that Kid Kash will be holding some of their classes. Now i'm not an expert on TNA contracts, but isn't Kash contracted to TNA?

So Kiffy, you've already said you used to run a security business, and i'm assuming you sold it on and it didn't flop and go bust, so as a businessman, can you see my gripe?

Arent TNA talent are still allowed to work Indy events and seminars as long as the booking is made through TNA themselves?

It is dependant on the contract they signed with TNA, but yes and in some cases they can aquire their own bookings (depends on how the contract was agreed before they signed it)

Edited for Clarity

And where I was going with this thread was "Why do we let it happen?". Yes, if they're all legal there's nothing that can be done, but most of us know that that's not the case. So why do we let it happen and how do we eliminate it?

i completely agree with this, but there is nothing to stop it from happening unless somebody from the local councils take wrestling more seriously which they wont. at the same time confronting the guy aggressivley or not in the street is not the right way about doing things. thats my issue with it. i do commened you on your wanting to protect the business from bad shows and i feel that more should be done by the wrestlers themselves to check out whether a promotion has the proper paperwork or not, if this is even possible?

I've seen a few contracted TNA talents wrestling on indy shows over here in the past few years. I also know of some having trouble taking UK indy bookings because of the need for TNA's approval.

There is no issue getting TNA approval regarding UK dates. As is evidenced by the people who do appear. Any issues would be over the schedule or financial side of it.

I've seen a few contracted TNA talents wrestling on indy shows over here in the past few years. I also know of some having trouble taking UK indy bookings because of the need for TNA's approval.

There is no issue getting TNA approval regarding UK dates. As is evidenced by the people who do appear. Any issues would be over the schedule or financial side of it.

out of interest, Mark, have you got any opinions on this subject you would like to express? there are few men more well travelled and tested when it comes to Britwres than you (not being sarcastic, want to point that out).

• Paid Members
Well i've just spoken to this guy again over the phone, and he's told me that he's helped train TNA referees, and TNA wrestlers who compete in the X Division.

The kid running the show/school has helped train these people?

While I sympathise with Ravenhill's problem and am definitely on the side of 'Get the shitarses out of the industry arguement', sometimes I think we almost point out the shitarsery in the industry too much instead of celebrating what is good about the industry.

There are some fantastic things going on up and down the country, people leaving venue's amazed by products they've seen, amazed by the athleticism they've seen, amazed by the story telling they've seen. While I'm not necessarily saying the good out weighs the shit (that's a whole other argument and thread), what I am saying is maybe if we focused on the good and celebrated people's achievements and talents more then more people wouldn't notice the bad?

Well i've just spoken to this guy again over the phone, and he's told me that he's helped train TNA referees, and TNA wrestlers who compete in the X Division.

The kid running the show/school has helped train these people?

Apparently so. And he's helped market TNA's events over here. The two boys in question are Jamie McCarthy and Rhys Paul, if anyone has heard of these illustrious figures.

Archived