What is British wrestling coming to?

Ravenhill Promotions

Well i've just spoken to this guy again over the phone, and he's told me that he's helped train TNA referees, and TNA wrestlers who compete in the X Division.

The kid running the show/school has helped train these people?

Apparently so. And he's helped market TNA's events over here. The two boys in question are Jamie McCarthy and Rhys Paul, if anyone has heard of these illustrious figures.

to be fair, they are obviously expelling vocal noises from their rear ends.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Well i've just spoken to this guy again over the phone, and he's told me that he's helped train TNA referees, and TNA wrestlers who compete in the X Division.

Apparently so. And he's helped market TNA's events over here. The two boys in question are Jamie McCarthy and Rhys Paul, if anyone has heard of these illustrious figures.

Granted I've just skimmed up until this point from about page 4, but the same guy who cried to his mum also claims to help TNA out over here and train their referees? Have I got that right? Or had we moved on to someone else?

Granted I've just skimmed up until this point from about page 4, but the same guy who cried to his mum also claims to help TNA out over here and train their referees? Have I got that right? Or had we moved on to someone else?

You've got that right.

I've seen a few contracted TNA talents wrestling on indy shows over here in the past few years. I also know of some having trouble taking UK indy bookings because of the need for TNA's approval.

There is no issue getting TNA approval regarding UK dates. As is evidenced by the people who do appear. Any issues would be over the schedule or financial side of it.

out of interest, Mark, have you got any opinions on this subject you would like to express? there are few men more well travelled and tested when it comes to Britwres than you (not being sarcastic, want to point that out).

I don't really have an opinion to be honest. There is so many points being thrown about and while there are lots of valid points and ideas I honestly think that my opinion holds no water to the people who are counter arguing anyway.

Spent a while writing up a few general points mostly about branding and such and have decided against posting it, but to be fair I think it would add further confusion and as I think many people are arguing over different points and issues. Mr Ravenhill has a point, which he hasn't gone about the best way of bringing to light and many who have gone before him have expressed the same frustrations as him and it will only get worse over time. Short of regulating the legality of it I am not sure you can ever stop it. Boxing / MMA shows can't just pop up everywhere because there is legalities to it, a threatre performance can happen anywhere and charge people to watch it. People will normally make up their mind on it due to the advertising or PR (and secondarily from the show they see) . Anyone on this board, can hire a hall put on a play, put some crap posters up and try and charge people to view it, wrestling unfortunately is no different at this time. How can you stop it?

Kiffy, for some reason you've taken it upon yourself to dislike me, but that's ok, i'll still answer your questions without the need to use profanity towards you.

The companies first action of business is to open a training school in the town that I run a training school, and that is supposed to be starting this friday. Now, take this as you find it, but his mother has told me they don't have insurance because, and I quote "We don't need insurance to run a training school".

Secondly, they haven't advertised it on posters that I know of, but they have been telling people on facebook that Kid Kash will be holding some of their classes. Now i'm not an expert on TNA contracts, but isn't Kash contracted to TNA?

So Kiffy, you've already said you used to run a security business, and i'm assuming you sold it on and it didn't flop and go bust, so as a businessman, can you see my gripe?

I didn't own it, I was a bdm for a while a few years back, did allright but got very bored of dealing with the type of people you have to deal with (not a stone mason, not interested in being one, also not ex-police or army, and got very bored of stories about being ex police or army from people who were, but I digress massively).

And no, not in the slightest, shit competition is a fucking gift to a good business man. You got a shit ass in your town? Great, make sure your customers know full well the difference between you and him and crack the fuck on. You get your product out there properly and people will trust you, and if they try another promotion that's shite they'll associate other promotions with utter shite That's a good thing for you! Sloans a good example of it, alot on here won't trust a big show unless he's involved these days. 1PW hasn't hurt him, quite the opposite, every fuck up they do makes people trust him more and distrust anyone who'se not him more. That's great for a business man.

I assume you knock on doors and start contract negotiations yourself, so security firms in your area being shit should be a god send to you, point out how shit they are and give em an alternative, provide you're what you promised and they won't go elsewhere because they tried other security and it was shit. If you sell against the big boys who haven't got time to worry overly about a 168 in the middle of nowhere you'll highlight that they won't receive service from them like they do to you, that's the same thing. Shit from another company gives you business.

In theatre, raves, wrestling, comedy, security, cleaning, anything you put a

The only downside though is when Ravenhill mentioned about the training school not having insurance, that could potentially lead to someone being injured, not being able to claim, the council would prob then have to act and it could lead to them banning wrestling in the area. Abit extreme, but you'd be surprised the things councils do to avoid bad press.

The only downside though is when Ravenhill mentioned about the training school not having insurance, that could potentially lead to someone being injured, not being able to claim, the council would prob then have to act and it could lead to them banning wrestling in the area. Abit extreme, but you'd be surprised the things councils do to avoid bad press.

This is true. After the Nik Bali incident, Cardiff Council won't accept wrestling bookings in any council owned venue.

It's a very extreme point, and hugely unlikely to happen to my mind. But this thread wasn't originally about the guy running a wrestling school, it was about him putting on a shit show without proper documentation.

If he's done a thread saying people without proper qualifications and licensing are teaching wrestling to kids, then I'd have alot more sympathy, because while that may not impact on his business, it may impact on some poor little fuckers ability to not get paralysed while learning brain busters before headlocks.

And you'd kinda have to hate that as a human being.

One bit of free advice I would give to ravenhill promotions, is to get a catchier name. Something which on it's own stands out a bit. Maybe something with the word welsh in it, and offical sounding. Or possibly a three letter thing, that you can start to get chanted at shows. Get the casuals and everyone else involved to associate your brand with you. Ravenhill promotions doesn't have that, at all.

Hee, oops, just clicked your link and I would assume you do promote under the name of welsh wrestling. Which is good.

Re the Nik Bali thing, what's the back story there? Was the show licensed? Was it a decently put together thing or shitassery? And what happened to the poor fucker,? Was it permanent?

Hee, oops, just clicked your link and I would assume you do promote under the name of welsh wrestling. Which is good.

Re the Nik Bali thing, what's the back story there? Was the show licensed? Was it a decently put together thing or shitassery? And what happened to the poor fucker,? Was it permanent?

Yeah the taxman, venues etc know me as Ravenhill Promotions, but the general public know us as Welsh Wrestling.

To be honest i'm not too sure on all the licenses etc and there's pending lawsuits going on there so don't really want to go into detail just in case it causes problems. Basically, in November 2009, Nik worked a show for another Welsh promotion and took a bad bump, and too my knowledge he's still paralysed. Its a very very unfortunate situation.

Kiffy, for some reason you've taken it upon yourself to dislike me, but that's ok, i'll still answer your questions without the need to use profanity towards you.

The companies first action of business is to open a training school in the town that I run a training school, and that is supposed to be starting this friday. Now, take this as you find it, but his mother has told me they don't have insurance because, and I quote "We don't need insurance to run a training school".

Secondly, they haven't advertised it on posters that I know of, but they have been telling people on facebook that Kid Kash will be holding some of their classes. Now i'm not an expert on TNA contracts, but isn't Kash contracted to TNA?

So Kiffy, you've already said you used to run a security business, and i'm assuming you sold it on and it didn't flop and go bust, so as a businessman, can you see my gripe?

I didn't own it, I was a bdm for a while a few years back, did allright but got very bored of dealing with the type of people you have to deal with (not a stone mason, not interested in being one, also not ex-police or army, and got very bored of stories about being ex police or army from people who were, but I digress massively).

And no, not in the slightest, shit competition is a fucking gift to a good business man. You got a shit ass in your town? Great, make sure your customers know full well the difference between you and him and crack the fuck on. You get your product out there properly and people will trust you, and if they try another promotion that's shite they'll associate other promotions with utter shite That's a good thing for you! Sloans a good example of it, alot on here won't trust a big show unless he's involved these days. 1PW hasn't hurt him, quite the opposite, every fuck up they do makes people trust him more and distrust anyone who'se not him more. That's great for a business man.

I assume you knock on doors and start contract negotiations yourself, so security firms in your area being shit should be a god send to you, point out how shit they are and give em an alternative, provide you're what you promised and they won't go elsewhere because they tried other security and it was shit. If you sell against the big boys who haven't got time to worry overly about a 168 in the middle of nowhere you'll highlight that they won't receive service from them like they do to you, that's the same thing. Shit from another company gives you business.

In theatre, raves, wrestling, comedy, security, cleaning, anything you put a

Archived