Vintage TV

DJ Kris

• Paid Members

Every once in a while I like to watch some vintage TV shows, in the past I've worked through the 1st series of the 60's Batman, even the 1st ever series of Doctor Who, which I found suprisingly good although I've not yet moved onto series 2.

Currently I'm working my way through The Flash, which I have to say I'm enjoying as much now as I did 20 years ago when it was first out! Good memories of having Sky in the '90s!

The other day I discovered there was a Ferris Bueller TV series, I was actually disappointed not to be able to find a download for it anywhere. Did anyone ever see this?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've just bought the first two series of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I've never seen any of them, and I'm sure they will be hit and miss, but I'm looking forward to watching them. I'm going to invest in the original Twilight Zone boxsets soon as well.

The original Twilight Zone has the story from the movie where a gremlin fucks up a plane. Although in the TV one, the guy on the plane is played by The Shat and the gremlin is some bloke in a Bigfoot Gorilla suit. It's well skill.

As for Vintage TV, I was hoping for a thread on the awesome and indeed the finest music channel on Sky Didge. The ones of some randon montage coupled with a song that has nothing to do with the images are the best thing on music tv since Bedroom TV. Of which the highlight was the geezer in make up and a dress who mimed to songs sung by women.

• Paid Members
The original Twilight Zone has the story from the movie where a gremlin fucks up a plane. Although in the TV one, the guy on the plane is played by The Shat and the gremlin is some bloke in a Bigfoot Gorilla suit. It's well skill.

As for Vintage TV, I was hoping for a thread on the awesome and indeed the finest music channel on Sky Didge. The ones of some randon montage coupled with a song that has nothing to do with the images are the best thing on music tv since Bedroom TV. Of which the highlight was the geezer in make up and a dress who mimed to songs sung by women.

Vintage TV does have some bizarre stuff on it. It's exactly what Sky Digital should be for, really, the airing of completely pointless archive footage over music by The Byrds.

I think that Twilight Zone episode is the only one from the original series that I have seen, and only because I sought it out after that Simpsons episode. It is great.

• Paid Members

I do have a tendancy to watch the old sitcoms when I'm in during the day. I've started watching Just Good Friends this last week, which I'd never actually seen before, and whilst it's absolutely fucking awful (the script, the gags, the acting), I've watched it four times now.

What would be considered "vintage TV" was shown on the 6:00pm slot on BBC2 when I was growing up, so all those cool sixties/seventies shows - Mission: Impossible, The Man From UNCLE, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet - were just the norm to me, and I'll happily watch them now without any feelings of "retro" or "kitsch".

Quincey is pretty badass too.

• Paid Members

As sad as this may sound I did download the first few episodes of Neighbours and Home & Away a while back. It was strange because when I was a kid tea times in my house would often consist of Neighbours on BBC1 at 5.35 followed by Home & Away on ITV at 6.30, I didn't bother much once I got to college, but fancied some nostalgia. I had never actually seen any of these, turns out I didn't watch those shows when they first started!

Something I like about Sky is you can flick through at more or less any time of day and find something. I;ve found the loss of Friends from E4 has screwed up my random viewing somewhat, but at least there's always an episode of Only Fools and Horses to be found! Bit of Open All Hours never goes a miss either!

On the Twilight Zone subject, what was that actually about? Was it just random stories each week that didn't really tie in together other than being a bit off the wall? I have the film but I've never actually got round to watching it. I did hear some people were killed making it, not sure if that's true or not?

• Paid Members
On the Twilight Zone subject, what was that actually about? Was it just random stories each week that didn't really tie in together other than being a bit off the wall? I have the film but I've never actually got round to watching it. I did hear some people were killed making it, not sure if that's true or not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Zone...copter_accident

A really horrible story, by all accounts :(

The series was separate tales each week with no connecting narrative. They used the same model for The Outer Limits. Funny how the horror / mystery genre lends itself to that particular model yet very few other genres get that kind of treatment.

• Paid Members
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Zone...copter_accident

A really horrible story, by all accounts :(

That's just awful :( I actually can't believe no one got done for that. The catalogue of dodgy goings on is unreal! Poor bastards.

The series was separate tales each week with no connecting narrative. They used the same model for The Outer Limits. Funny how the horror / mystery genre lends itself to that particular model yet very few other genres get that kind of treatment.

Sounds like something I should give a go. I love stuff like that because it's easy to get into. I'm a big fan of the Creepshow movies, it's actually shame that it never spun off into a TV series.

Not quite sure if it's old enough to be classed as 'vintage', but I've only just got round to seeing all 7 episodes of Knowing Me Knowing You With Alan Partridge. As a huge fan of the I'm Alan Partridge series and the webisodes earlier in the year, I was glad to see that the standard was possibly even higher. Barely a duff episode at all, and an amazing amount of laughs. The Abba medley, the French clowns, and the gun incident in particular all had me falling off my sofa pissing myself. Ah-haaa!

Archived