Vintage TV

DJ Kris

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to watch old news bulletins on YouTube. There's a full episode of News At Ten from 1981, and it feels so dry compared to now. More facts, but much less palatable.

I also like watching commercial breaks from the 80s and 90s, including

from late-night Channel 4.

• Paid Members

Whilst I share your enjoyment of old adverts (Carling Black Label, for example), I hated that chatline one. I much prefer the naff Kenneth Williams impression of "0 - 8 - 9 - 8 - 27 27 27 ooh!".

I knew the bleeding song from that without having the sound on.. How sad is that ?

Anyway vintage.. Started watching Transformers the TV Series again from scratch and erm well lets just say my childhood dreams are being shattered.

The narrative makes little sense, Optimus is really a gung ho suicidal bastard the amount of times he will generally get fucked up to near death is beyond ridiculous. The animation is shoddy and the attention to detail is even worse, with random transformers just appearing in shot when they couldnt possibly be in that position, or not even on the same fucking planet in some cases :(

I get the impression this was put together on the cheap and very quickly. The Maverick version of the 1st series is horrible with the Titles and credits mashed from Series 2 in places and in some places not containing any credits at all.

Roll on Series 2 which Ive got the metronome versions should be better?

• Paid Members
Whilst I share your enjoyment of old adverts (Carling Black Label, for example), I hated that chatline one. I much prefer the naff Kenneth Williams impression of "0 - 8 - 9 - 8 - 27 27 27 ooh!".

Well if we're going the vitage advert route, surely there's gotta be some love for this classic?

• Moderators
Anyway vintage.. Started watching Transformers the TV Series again from scratch and erm well lets just say my childhood dreams are being shattered.

All old cartoons are shit. They're 2-frames a second, stick a moral in the end, toy adverts. Always a joy seeing some cunt brag about how they've just bought the Thundercats box set and are setting in for an EPIC weekend's viewing, and knowing what's in store.

• Paid Members

I'm late to the party but I have all the original Twilight Zone boxsets... basically they wee bizarre morality tales overall. It's a fucking brilliant show. The After Hours episode is still incredibly fucking tense no matter how many times I view it.

All old cartoons are shit. They're 2-frames a second, stick a moral in the end, toy adverts. Always a joy seeing some cunt brag about how they've just bought the Thundercats box set and are setting in for an EPIC weekend's viewing, and knowing what's in store.

Oh Thundercats was utter shit. The opening video gives everyone a wonderful nostalgic feeling - and rightly so, as it's an awesome theme and montage - but the shows themselves were utter dross. I warn everyone within earshot of this, and they ignore me.

The Gay Xchange dance was the best one of those ads.

Thundercats was a shocker as there only seemed to be 2 pieces of stock music which they just kept looping at the vital moment. If evil was afoot 'DUH-DUH, DUH-DUH, DUH-DUH'.... very very bad.

My other half is looping Chelmsford 1-2-3 & Allo Allo at the moment. I do find Allo Allo a difficult watch now, there is very few genuinely funny moments, especially in the later series. Chelmsford 1-2-3 though is a bit of a forgotten gem. Blag is a great character. On a similar note, watched I, Claudius for the first time the other month and that is a classy piece of work.

As for myself, I am introducing my g/f to 'I'm Alan Partiridge' as she had never seen it (she pre-dertimines she will hate something and that is it!) but when she saw Alan in the Travelodge with the geordie mechanic and comes out with 'No, that was just noise!' she started to convert slowly... Also watching Penn & Teller BULLSHIT! again. Great series IMHO.

• Paid Members

I really like 80s cartoons and genuinely prefer them to any others am I incorrect? I didn't brag about having the Dungeons and Dragons box set but I watched it and enjoyed it a lot, same for Hulk, Spider-man, Thundercats, He-Man, Galaxy Rangers and dozens of others. I must be a cunt.

• Paid Members
Thundercats was a shocker as there only seemed to be 2 pieces of stock music which they just kept looping at the vital moment. If evil was afoot 'DUH-DUH, DUH-DUH, DUH-DUH'.... very very bad.

Are you sure? My memory tells me each character had their own theme. In fact, I'm pretty certain that Cheetarah's theme was released as a single.

It pains me to say that I watched Just Good Friends yet again today. Vince Mulletchops's ex-wife is much fitter than Penny, and looks as though she'd be dirty too.

• Paid Members
It pains me to say that I watched Just Good Friends yet again today. Vince Mulletchops's ex-wife is much fitter than Penny, and looks as though she'd be dirty too.

My mum used to let me stay up late to watch Just Good Friends.

I fucking hated the pile of shit but I got to stay up till 10 so every cloud and all that.

Archived