The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

I love a bit of Lucha, generally, but whats going on with the amount of Championships?

AAA have 7+ whilst CMLL have 28 recognised championships? (according to Wiki anyway) That's insane! Cant they just have like Singles/Tag/Trios/women's/Minis?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looked through some of the title histories, its not uncommon for 1000+ day reigns apparently, which also is mental.

Do the titles actually feature into feuds/story's that much, or are they just "there" ?

They often forget people have titles for years and just remember them now and again for a big match. CMLL's never really been big on them. AAA a good bit more so. 

Years ago when Bryan Alvarez used to run the comedy stories he had a good one - something along the lines of 'Show run with more belts backstage than fans' :)

I saw a thing recently about Sexy Star vacating the inter-gender tag belts, as even to her it was utterly meaningless having never defended them. 

Any news on AAA crowning a new "super mega ultra" whatever champion yet?

I saw a thing recently about Sexy Star vacating the inter-gender tag belts, as even to her it was utterly meaningless having never defended them. 

Any news on AAA crowning a new "super mega ultra" whatever champion yet?

It might be frustration at AAA management, or it might be her believing she is above AAA for some reason. Not sure which. I do think she's useless though, so good riddance!

They're probably still waiting for Alberto to come back because he's such a great guy as they always make a point of saying, even though he dicked them over royally.

• Paid Members

Yeah, best not to bogged down in titles in CMLL, although AAA mostly uses them a bit more. The big thing in Lucha is the apuesta, or betting match - hair vs hair, mask vs mask, that sort of thing.

The AAA title will be decided at Rey de Reyes, on March 23, between Mesias & Texano Jr

Cool, I'll keep my eyes open. I watch some of the Triple A stuff on YouTube, although its on a bit of a delay IIRC.

It's only a few days out, if that, sometimes it's uploaded the day before national TV in Mexico! It's a more fun show to watch than CMLL for sure.

Ah, for some reason I presumed it was like a few months behind.  But that's awesome then, last time i watched it El Hijo del Fantasma unified some titles to make the Triple A World cruiser-weight Title.

Are all the PPV's still on their channel as well?

Ah, for some reason I presumed it was like a few months behind.  But that's awesome then, last time i watched it El Hijo del Fantasma unified some titles to make the Triple A World cruiser-weight Title.

Are all the PPV's still on their channel as well?

The iPPVs/PPVs are always on TV for free a few days/weeks later in Mexico, so for sure you can see Triplemania, Verano De Escandalo etc. all on there for free :)

There's a LU house show in Austin, Texas tonight at SXSW. Hopefully we'll get to see some of it in some capacity.

I'd like to see the capacity that they draw. Predicting some number fudging a plenty soon!

Awesome, I'll do a watch :) is there a good "starting point" for Triple A? I've been on an off with for some time now, so might be a bit behind in whats going on.

Also, (And I brace for shock), but I haven't watched any of Lucha Underground yet. I've just watched some re-cap stuff on the el rey network...and it looks AMAZING hah. I'll be queuing up season 1 this week I think :)

• Paid Members

AAA pressed a kind of reset button in January, so you could start there. The PPVs air as part of the regular TV shows, usually about a month behind. If you stick to watching at TV pace it's not hard to avoid spoilers. CMLL doesn't really book episodically - their prime business is house shows so they mostly just out matches that vaguely lead to the big matches on their TV.

I'd second starting AAA from this year. last year was a disaster for them losing most of their big names Cibernetico, Myzteziz (Mistico1, Sin Cara, Carsitico, Mil Nombres), Alberto Del Rio, Perro Aguayo Jr and Dr Wagner Jr (now back). Plus now with Konnan out of the way the LONG running faction La Sociedad is dead and there's quite a few changes, both good and not so good.

It might be frustration at AAA management, or it might be her believing she is above AAA for some reason. Not sure which. I do think she's useless though, so good riddance!

I think she's bought into believing shes become a star with LU and has a brighter future with them than with AAA. She's not great, most of the women left are better than her (excluding Taya) but she did have charisma and knew how to play her role well. Still rather watch Lady Shani though.

Lucha watching this week.

This week's AAA included the last Reyes de Reyes match they'd posted earlier in the week plus a recap of the previous RdR's matches from this year so only 2 new matches posted. Iiked Ludxor/Venom vs Carta BravaJr/Superfly quite a bit.

https://youtu.be/i1VufC9XMuk?t=8m17s

CMLL i'm behind several weeks. the 5/2 show was good, not much else stood out from early February. Highlight at the moment is the Volador/Negro Casas fued

Stuka/Bobby Z was good for a Lightning match

Dragón Lee/Corleone/Máximo vs Kamaitachi/Terrible/Último Guerrero. this just clicks, Maximo's really improved

Máscara Dorada/Mistico/Volador vs Cavernario/Mephisto/Negro Casas

The Rush/Maximo fued starts here, odd way to start it

Next up Volador Jr. © vs Negro Casas for the (checks to make sure) NWA World Welterweight Championship. i don't care they could be fighting over a moldy dishcloth i'm still looking forward to it.

Archived