2011 UKFF UK50 - RESULTS THREAD

Big Benny HG

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going off the amount of times "should be higher" gets said in these countdowns the top 10 would be the top 27. Not having a go at anyone mind, I think it myself about a lot og them. Its just an observation about how much it was said last year and already this year. Its quite the trend.

• Paid Members

No. 40 - "Darkside" James Scott

Score: 132 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 2

2010 ranking: 16th

(2009=19th; 2008=18th; 2007=24th; 2006=8th; 2005=NL)

darksideq.jpg

A former UKFF UK50 Top 10 performer, the man formerly known as Darkside makes his sixth consecutive UKFF UK50 appearance, though slips outside the Top 20 for the first time in 4 years by falling 21 places in the rankings this year.

Having emotionally announced his retirement due to a supposedly-career-ending back injury, Darkside made a surprise return in the autumn of 2010 for Glasgow's Insane Championship Wrestling in the closing moments of Red Lightning and BT Gunn's main event contest, turning heel on Gunn in a killer angle. He then revealed that only the "Darkside" name had retired and that he had joined the Gold Label, the lead heel group in the organisation, also comprising Lightning, Wolfgang and Lionheart.

Late 2010 saw ICW move out of the halls and into a nightclub venue, giving their shows a gritty, underground, adult feel in front of nuclear heat. On the first show, Scott teamed with his old T2K tag partner Wolfgang in a wild match against Gunn and Jack Jester which saw Scott and Jester brawl out into Glasgow city centre. As a result, Scott and Jester were matched for Darkside's ICW Heavyweight title in the main event of the February show. Another brutal hardcore affair, Scott took assistance from Lightning in a bout featuring drawing pins, tables, kendo sticks and fire. Indeed, Darkside won with a double foot stomp off the top rope.... WITH HIS FEET ON FIRE.

On WrestleMania night, Scott was tasked with defending against the runaway freight train which was Johnny Moss. In a reportedly great bout, it took interference from the rest of the Gold Label for "Darkside" to emerge with his strap.

Elsewhere in Scotland, babyface Scott defeated Andy Wild at Premier British Wrestling's signature event, "Maximum Impact" in October and saw unsuccessful main event title challenges against NWA Scottish Heavyweight Champion Scott Renwick and PBW Champion BT Gunn for SWA and PBW respectively in 2011.

Finally, James managed to realise a career-long dream by working in Japan, when he was invited to go on tour with Zero-1 MAX, the promotion founded by the legendary Shinya Hashimoto.

What did the UKFF think?

"Just consistently awesome and entertaining"

"Scott has proved why he's one of the top dogs in the last year. He managed to come off a career ending injury to pretty much turning ICW into the best promotion in Scotland. I caught his matches in SWA towards the end of last year and he had a quality match with Joe Coffey. He's been a breath of fresh air for W3L also"

"Should be in Japan"

"Year after year continues to evolve and put on some of the best matches I've ever seen live. I'm glad he's been given the chance to wrestle in Zero1 and hope it will only further his development as a talent. His comeback angle at ICW was the most shocking thing I think i've ever seen at a wrestling show"

"Recovered from his back injury and has been on fire since, had some stellar matches whilst defending the ICW title"

"Vile, manipulative piece of shit champion of ICW, this guy has excelled in the role. Is having something of a "reign of terror" in ICW, using every member of the Gold Label faction to keep his gold. Goes above and beyond in the big title matches, taking some really nasty shit"

• Paid Members

No. 39 - Behnam Ali

Score: 135 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 1

2010 ranking: Not Listed

(2009=NL; 2008=NL; 2007=NL; 2006=NL; 2005=NL)

aliw.jpg

"My tights are a little too, erm, TIGHT"

Contract to the Swindon-based 4 Front Wrestling, "Persian Prince" Behnam Ali makes his first ever UKFF UK50 appearance this year.

Showing the promotion's belief in him, Ali was selected to face international talent when he battled Pro Wrestling NOAH's Yoshinobu Kanemaru as part of a tag match in August 2010. Throughout the year, the junior heavyweight youngster competed on against 4FW babyfaces such as Jason Larusso, Dave Sharp, Jack Dynamo and perennial rival Owen Phoenix before, rather notably, Ali and Phoenix set off for Japan in March. There, the pair trained and toured with the K-Dojo promotion and even wrestled in the world famous Korakuen Hall.

What did the UKFF think?

"Molds a completely different look on the Junior divisions. Guy is able to get over as a heel convincingly and could easily make it to the top of his home promotion this year"

"Was amazing before he went to train in Japan, God knows how good he will be now. 4FW should be proud"

"I personally believe him to be the the finest new UK wrestling talent, since returning from a 3 month training/tour of Japan his confidence is through the roof, Behnam has been invited back to Japan whenever he wants to go which is great for his career, needs to be seen more around the UK/Europe"

"Very, very good wrestler especially when wrestling Owen Phoenix"

"Not only freakishly athletic, but a nice little character too"

"Next year will be his year, that’s unless he’s abroad full-time. Ali is an understated sensation. While rival Owen Phoenix brings the sizzle, Ali brings the complementary steak and the two’s chemistry has been irresistible, in 4FW and recently in Japan. With growing confidence in his act, Ali is set to develop into one of our country’s very top junior heavyweight’s, with clear character to match. Exciting to see what the future holds for this one"

"A great prospect for the future of British wrestling, much improved over the last 6 months of last year in look and style"

"The most improved I have seen, especially from where he was when he first started, before the outside saw him. Will soon be making moolah"

• Paid Members
including this year's 50 have there been any ever presents Benny?

Yeah:

Dave Mastiff/Moralez

El Ligero

Jonny Storm

RJ Singh/Ross Jordan

Spud

Stixx

Terry Frazier

These are the only seven wrestlers to have featured in the UKFF UK50 in all seven years it has been running.

• Paid Members
including this year's 50 have there been any ever presents Benny?

I'd imagine there are quite a few. RJ Singh, for one. And I think Mastiff, Spud, The Kartel may have been in every list so far. And there's probably quite a few more.

Edit- beaten to it, but yeah, as I thought.

So Sha Samuels didn't make the top 50 this year????

Yeah:

Dave Mastiff/Moralez

El Ligero

Jonny Storm

RJ Singh/Ross Jordan

Spud

Stixx

Terry Frazier

These are the only seven wrestlers to have featured in the UKFF UK50 in all seven years it has been running.

thanks, thats actually more than I expected. I thought Stixx, Ligs, Storm and Spud would be. Didnt realise how long Mastiff had been around, same with RJ, probs cos they work more south than north

Archived