2011 UKFF UK50 - RESULTS THREAD

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members
I first saw Robbie X at the 1PW Academy, the next time I saw him was at the House of Pain weekender last month. He impressed on both occasions and is highly skilled.

He deserves to be in the Top 50.

I've seen some clips of Robbie X and I agree, he certainly seem like a great up and comer, but he is only 16. He hasn't fully developed his look yet, His body seems to be shaping up ok, but he does have the face of a teenage boy. I'd be tempted to wear a mask like one of the Knight kids did in his younger days, because if he has the ability then it will help with the look. That said a lot would depend on hows he's booked. Bubblegum (where's he at these days) used to get over great with the kids off the back of not only his talent but his young looks and outfit style.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No. 44 - Colossus Kennedy

Score: 98 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 0

2010 ranking: Not Listed

(2009=NL; 2008= NL; 2007=NL; 2006= NL; 2005=NL)

kennedys.jpg

"Have I spilled me dinner in me beard, ref?"

Yet another UKFF UK50 debut, this time for the monster who has branched out to become a fixture across the North for XWA, DPW (where he reigns as British Champion) and NGW. Colossus has also gained nationwide exposure this year as a regular for the touring All Star Wrestling, which has often seen him given the old school role as the gigantic heel who destroys multiple babyfaces in handicap matches, and FWA, where he is now sided with Alex Shane's heel stable "The Agenda".

Guided by Richie West, Colossus exploded through DPW to the point where he challenged Cameron Kraze for the British Title. After non-conclusive main event finishes in January and February, the third and final bout between the two in April ended with the mighty Colossus taking the gold. Since then, he has continued to look unstoppable in defences over "Wonderkid" Jonny Storm and Robbie X.

Colussus made his debut for Morecambe's XWA at 'Last Fight at the Prom' in October, destroying rookie Action Jackson in convincing fashion. Later that same night, he returned to side with "Showstealer" Nathan Cruz by destroying his opponent Rockstar Spud, an angle which signified Spud's babyface turn. The hulking behemoth squashed Zack Diamond on the first show of 2011, establishing him as the favourite in the annual 'Goldrush' rumble later that night. Indeed, he looked dominant and reached the final two, until he was sent crashing over the top rope by the promotion's new lead babyface, Stixx, at the end.

Already a well established monster for NGW in Hull, with a gimmick of not being knocked off his feet in 18 months, Kennedy smashed his way through Dave Rayne, Rich Hale, Caz Crash and Martin Kirby, before fighting to an indecisive countout finish with fellow big man Stixx at the third anniversary event in June 2011.

What did the UKFF think?

"People have their mixed few on Colossus Kennedy and I can see why. However, British Wrestling needs that ‘giant’ character, and with his success in DPW as their champion, and the match he won the championship against Cameron Kraze was incredible and one that I really enjoyed. I think the time he has spent working with All Star Wrestling has taught him so much, and he truly deserves the June – July spot in FSM as ‘One to Watch’ "

"A true monster heel. Enormous and powerful. Crowd go wild when they think hes about to be toppled only for the guy to turn it around a destroy the unlucky opponent"

"The best big man in the country because he has embraced the style and not tried to pretend he's something he's not and worked on the Colossus character. In the period, I've seen him have BRILLIANT matches with Ligero, Kirby, Kraze & Bad News Brown"

"Knows his role and does it better than anyone I've seen"

"A great monster heel. big, dominating and powerful. Have seen him destroy many opponents this past year. Good wrestler who is good at stunning a crowd when he cuts off a guy. When you watch a show you expect a heel to look like this guy"

Ironically?

Robbie X actually wrestled Bubblegum just yesterday!

I've seen some clips of Robbie X and I agree, he certainly seem like a great up and comer, but he is only 16. He hasn't fully developed his look yet, His body seems to be shaping up ok, but he does have the face of a teenage boy. I'd be tempted to wear a mask like one of the Knight kids did in his younger days, because if he has the ability then it will help with the look. That said a lot would depend on hows he's booked. Bubblegum (where's he at these days) used to get over great with the kids off the back of not only his talent but his young looks and outfit style.

• Paid Members

No. 43 - Cyanide

Score: 104 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2011 votes: 1

cyanidey.jpg

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? (Photo, splashing Damon Leigh, - Tony Knox)

...and coming up one place ahead of Colossus is another massive, bearded, Northern monster making his first ever ranking in the UKFF UK50. Originally from FutureShock Wrestling, "Toxic Terror" Alex Cyanide has been working his way around the North-West scene for a few years and is now starting to make waves.... BIG waves... elsewhere.

With his Lethal Dose tag team with Jack "Toxic" Gallagher coming to a natural end, Cyanide returned to singles competition in his 'home' promotions of FSW and GPW in the Greater Manchester area. In Stockport, Cyanide has continued to be a mainstay on FSW cards, without a storyline or feud to speak of. In GPW, however, the 400lbs terror began his quest for the Heavyweight Title with a reign of dominance. First, he destroyed mad Professor Mike Holmes' entire Lab stable in September. Then, in somewhat of a statement to the entire promotion, he eliminated top babyface stars Danny Hope, Sam Bailey and Damon Leigh in quick succession in the 6 vs. 6 elimination main event of the October event, before he was eventually eliminated by El Ligero and Joey Hayes double-teaming. An impressive squash win over Holmes in November meant Cyanide entered 2011 as the massive threat to new Heavyweight Champion "Dangerous" Damon Leigh. Indeed, in March, Cyanide appeared after Leigh's defence over William Gaylord and obliterated him, DEAD, putting the champ on warning. Another elimination tag bout at 'Only The Strong Survive 2011' in April saw Cyanide pin Leigh again after another dominantly winning performance. This unstoppable path of destruction led to Cyanide challenging Leigh for the belt at "Battlefield" in May, but nothing was decided as the pair fought to a double countout. The feud concluded in their rematch the following month at the appropriately-named 'Heroes and Villains', where DDL managed to overcome the massive odds and hit Cyanide with an incredible splash mountain bomb to retain his belt.

Up the M6 in Morecambe's XWA, Cyanide was cast as the hulking bodyguard for Team Rockstar, Spud's heel faction, and went to war with boss Spud's number one enemy Stixx. At 'Vendetta' in July 2010, Cyanide laid out the "Heavyweight House of Pain", but was run off by Johnny Phere. The monster was then banned from ringside as Stixx beat SPud later that night. Cyanide and Stixx went one-on-one in a No-DQ match in October, but Spud's attempted interference went wrong and Cyanide was toppled by the bald-headed powerhouse. Spud laid into his failing Team Rockstar in a backstage segment, meaning Cyanide and co. failed to save Spud from a beating at the hands of Nathan Cruz and new XWA monster Colossus Kennedy later that night. Indeed, Cyanide and Colossus were shown to have formed an alliance during the titular rumble main event of 'Goldrush' in February, but the seemingly unstoppable team was, erm, stopped when Cyanide was eliminated in a huge upset by El Ligero. Rockstar Spud officially 'fired' Cyanide in June, and the behemoth was then beaten by Sam Slam with a massively impressive F-5.

As well as featuring for Teesside's EPW, Cyanide has also been a fixture for NGW in Hull since the promotion's 2008 inception. Stripped of his NGW Championship when he failed to appear for a defence in June 2010, Cyanide made an unannounced return in November to team with "Showstealer" Nathan Cruz in facing new champion Sam Bailey in a handicap match. Bailey was able to overcome the odds and escape with the gold.

What did the UKFF think?

"Not just a beast, but a beast who can move. The guy can power over his opponents due to his size and strength but have seen him leave his feet with fantastic looking dropkicks. His matches against Stixx and Sam Slam have been exceptionally hard hitting. And not only is he booked throughout the country, Cyanide is happy to attend XWA Academy shows where he regularly puts on a good show with whichever student he is up against"

"For a big man he is very agile"

"IMO, the best big man in the country. Everyone loves a fatty at a show and he plays the role very very well"

"Big guy who as soon as he comes out of the curtain the crowd are hooked on his matches. Which are also of a good calibre"

"Great big man, legitimately scary"

"When he's not playing up to the other wrestlers at GPW for laughs, he is a really great superheavyweight wrestler"

• Paid Members
Bubblegum (where's he at these days) used to get over great with the kids off the back of not only his talent but his young looks and outfit style.

Former UKFF UK50 winner Bubblegum, who failed to make the rankings this year, can also be seen as part of the top heel stable in GPW, The Masterplan, up in Wigan after returning there late last year. You might not think it, considering his gimmick, character and persona before, but he actually works incredibly well as a little, annoying, arrogant, cowardly little prick of a heel that you can't wait to see get smacked. He played the role previously in NBW/GNP too, I believe.

Zack originally came from Manchester's impressive FutureShock Wrestling school and made appearances on the undercard of their own shows in Stockport.

As far as I know, he was originally trained by Andy Baker and debuted for the latters' Runcorn Wrestling Academy at least two years before he first stepped foot in a FutureShock ring.

Really enjoying the write up's so far, just one quick note:

"Cyanide made an unannounced return in November to team with "Showstealer" Nathan Cruz in facing new champion Sam Bailey in a handicap match. Bailey was able to overcome the odds and escape with the gold."

He actually made the return and was the third man added to the match to make it a triple threat match, not a handicap match.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Exactly how big is Colossus? I'm guessing that photo doesn't really do him justice?

Not sure exactly but I've seen him a few times and he is definately a big bastard. It's always hard to tell when they're in the ring but he makes his manager look like Bridget the midget.

I keep checking in on this thread, these updates can't come quick enough.

In terms of Cyanide, an excellent addition to the 50 although i think he should be placed higher myself.

From watching him at Britannia Wrestling Promotions, his matches have all delivered, specifically his match with Babyface Pitbull

and his match for the BWP Tag Team Titles...

I think they are both great matches, i'll be the first to admit i am biased but i think they are great.

Awesome worker, and a bloody good bloke.

• Paid Members

No. 42 - Dean Allmark

Score: 124 points

deanop.jpg

Cheesey grins with the All Star Wrestling British Heavyweight Title (Photo - Tony Knox)

The UKFF UK50 debuts keep on coming with Dean Allmark, veteran UK performer for the touring All Star Wrestling promotion. Having now been associated with ASW for over a decade, the man also occasionally known on shows as Deano, Extreme Dean and Dean 2-Xtreme can call promoter Brian Dixon his father-in-law and also takes the lead at their training facility in Birkenhead.

Quick-kicking Dean has made a name for himself as a popular babyface star in town halls up and down the land, bravely battling the evil likes of Gangrel, Brody Steele, Dave Mastiff, Thunder, Nathan Cruz, Joe Legend and others night after night. The crowning achievement of his year, however, came in October 2010 in Hanley (Stoke), when he defeated a WWE-bound Rampage Brown for the British Heavyweight Title.

Making a few appearances outside of All Star, Deano featured in an all-UK "bonus" match against Stixx in Cambridgeshire as part of Japanese promotion Dragon Gate's second UK tour in September and went down to the submission streak of "The Juice" CJ Banks at Dynamic Pro Wrestling's 3rd anniversary event in Pontefract.

Just after the deadline for this year's UKFF UK50, Allmark made his debut for IPW:UK in Sittingbourne, Kent, where he bested fellow newcomer Max Angelus in a solid bout in the first round of the British Cruiserweight Championship Tournament. His opponent for the upcoming quarter-finals has yet to be announced.

What did the UKFF think?

"Really enjoyed him everytime I've seen him at All Star shows this year, good to see him finally getting his break elsewhere"

"Deserves to be a more prominent name in this country"

"So glad to see him breaking away from just working the All Star shows and happy to see him making cameo appearances on the indys. He was always my favourite going to All Star as a kid, known for breaking the glass windows of wrestling, bringing more athleticism and charisma to the old school style of show that All Star has always been known for"

"Hadn't seen much of him until the DG:UK show last year, but have managed to see him around a bit more recently. Great babyface"

"Takes alot of flak from people on the internet, but I haven't seen a match with him in this year that I haven't enjoyed"

"Shown more of his wrestling this year to go with the crowd work. Really can turn it on"

"one of the most popular babyfaces ive seen wrestling in this country today and is brilliant at mat wrestling and high-flying. A very versatile wrestler"

"Had a superb match with CJ Banks in DPW and is consistent on the AllStar circuit"

• Paid Members

No. 41 - Sam Bailey

Score: 129 points

2010 ranking: 35th

(2009=29th; 2008= 48th; 2007=NL; 2006= NL; 2005=NL)

baileyj.jpg

Manchester-based flyer Sam Bailey makes the UKFF UK50 for the 4th consecutive year, but does fall 6 places in the rankings this time out.

Absent from his 'home' FutureShock Wrestling since losing the Stockport promotion's Championship to Alex Shane, "Super" Sam made an unadvertised return as the surprise final entrant in a gauntlet at 'FSW 50' in April 2011, going right for the newly heel Dave Rayne, his former 'Retro Pop' tag partner who had become champion during his absence. Bailey defeated Rayne by disqualification, setting up a singles bout for Dave's belt at 'FSW 51' in June. There, a wild building-wide brawl was restarted following an unsatisfactory disqualification, but a couple of low blows aided Dodgy Dave in escaping with his title.

Over in nearby Grand Pro Wrestling, Sam won a 4-way in August 2010 for he and a partner of his choosing to be named number one contenders to the Tag Team Championship, held by Paradise Lost (Heresy and Kastor LeVay). Taking Ricky J McKenzie as his partner, the build to the eventual title match was rather bizarre. First, McKenzie was suspended from GPW for a number of months. Secondly, Bailey and McKenzie's valet Rebecca Jayne were forced to face the tag champs in December in a very odd match, going down in defeat. When Sam and Ricky did get their shot in March, Rebecca turned on them to give Paradise Lost. The teams fought again on opposite sides of a Survivor Series tag match at 'Only the Strong Survive' in April, before whole situation was finally brought to an end at 'Battlefield' in May. There, Sam was taken out of the No Holds Barred bout before it even started when he did a stretcher job after taking the heels' double team DDT finisher, removing him from the whole ordeal (out of interest, his place was taken by long-absent returning favourite Chris Echo. Echo and McKenzie beat Heresy and LeVay for the championship).

In Hull's New Generation Wrestling, Bailey was having better luck as he started the 2011 UKFF UK50 period as the promotion's champion, having won the vacant belt in 5-way in June 2010. Successful defences against House of Pain wrestlers "Textbook" Dave Breaks and Paul Malen, as well as top Scottish star Lionheart led into Bailey being challenged by cocky up-and-coming Nathan Cruz, who had beaten Alex Shane earlier in the year for the rights to the "Showstealer" name. Their originally scheduled November 2010 bout was turned into an impromptu 3-way with added Cyanide, the surprise returning former champion. After Sam managed to overcome all and keep his belt, Cruz dethroned him in their main event singles bout at 'Regeneration' in February. After a win over Bam Bam Barton in April, Bailey and Cruz were rematched at the "Third Anniversary" in June, where Cruz again came out on top in a brutal bout.

Elsewhere, Bailey has also featured for Dynamic Pro Wrestling in West Yorkshire, battling fellow GPW wrestlers Joey Hayes, Dylan Roberts and the like, and was one of the names on former British Champion CJ Banks' submission win streak. In Teesside's 3CW, Bailey teams with Cruz to form a Baywatch-inspired babyface lifeguard tag unit.

What did the UKFF think?

"Very likeable babyface"

"Although I don

Archived