Goldberg Returning

BritFan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He looks old. I'm not a huge fan of Goldberg but he has to be the biggest missed opportunity in wrestling. He should have been the poster for a major company for years.

When you watch the rise and fall of WCW - it's almost criminal how they screwed up a really huge star. Same goes with WWE. Makes me wonder if he really was a dick to deal with backstage. He always seemed to have a massive upside. He just looked like he should be the top guy of a wrestling company.

He looks old. I'm not a huge fan of Goldberg but he has to be the biggest missed opportunity in wrestling. He should have been the poster for a major company for years.

When you watch the rise and fall of WCW - it's almost criminal how they screwed up a really huge star. Same goes with WWE. Makes me wonder if he really was a dick to deal with backstage. He always seemed to have a massive upside. He just looked like he should be the top guy of a wrestling company.

It seemed to me that Goldberg was given such a sustained push, force fed to people, there wasn't any way he was going to be a failure in WCW, lots of people gave him the rub, he had his unbeaten streak and this most insane entrance ever. They built him into a monster. Yet he was still eclipsed by the NWO and he became a bit of a middling star when they really took off. Plus his run in the WWE was flat, it was, and he ended up wearing Golddust wigs and being Booed out of the building when he left the company (ok half of that was for Brock but still) I just think the WWE audience was a bit more savvy than the WCW ones, I don't think he would've succeeded in the WWE had he been in the place of Steve Austin.

I don't think he was that skilled a performer, I don't think he could've played a comedy character effectively for example, he was a hard hitting wrestler true, but I really don't consider him one of the best in the business and he didn't have bags of charisma, he just grabbed the few skills he did have and ran with it, good on him he made his money, but still.

I don't see what the WWE or TNA would gain by having him on the roster right now. TNA would get a few weeks or ratings then it would drop quickly, like everyone else they've signed.

It seemed to me that Goldberg was given such a sustained push, force fed to people, there wasn't any way he was going to be a failure in WCW, lots of people gave him the rub, he had his unbeaten streak and this most insane entrance ever. They built him into a monster. Yet he was still eclipsed by the NWO and he became a bit of a middling star when they really took off. Plus his run in the WWE was flat, it was, and he ended up wearing Golddust wigs and being Booed out of the building when he left the company (ok half of that was for Brock but still) I just think the WWE audience was a bit more savvy than the WCW ones, I don't think he would've succeeded in the WWE had he been in the place of Steve Austin.

I don't think he was that skilled a performer, I don't think he could've played a comedy character effectively for example, he was a hard hitting wrestler true, but I really don't consider him one of the best in the business and he didn't have bags of charisma, he just grabbed the few skills he did have and ran with it, good on him he made his money, but still.

I don't see what the WWE or TNA would gain by having him on the roster right now. TNA would get a few weeks or ratings then it would drop quickly, like everyone else they've signed.

The NWO never really took off anywere after Goldberg's first run. They were disjointed and crap. Bloody Virgil was running part of it for a bit. They took off in 96 but by 98 it was rehash jobs left right and center.

• Paid Members
Plus his run in the WWE was flat, it was, and he ended up wearing Golddust wigs and being Booed out of the building when he left the company (ok half of that was for Brock but still) I just think the WWE audience was a bit more savvy than the WCW ones,

Behave. WWE fans largely lapped him up. Especially at Summerslam and when he eventually won the title at Unforgiven. Those "savy" WWE fans were chanting his name through his contract.

He also didnt "end up" wearing a Goldust wig because fans disliked him. Some idiot asked him to do it in his first few weeks at the company, presumably to see if he would get stroppy about it, but not realising that it made him look like a fool if he agreed. He also wasnt booed at Mania due to hate, it was a smart NY crowd and everyone and their mum knew it was his last match (and Brocks) added to the fact that the match wasnt very good, it was a guaranteed booing.

Im sure their were some fans that saw him as an over-rated WCW guy, but the majority of WWE fans liked him, even with the ropey booking.

WWE or TNA could definitely make money with him. But he'd have to agree to make a few appearances, take a few kickings and build to a big match. If he just wants to turn up one night, muller a WWE main eventer and then bugger off home, I'm not surprised he's been away from wrestling for so long.

• Paid Members
He also didnt "end up" wearing a Goldust wig because fans disliked him. Some idiot asked him to do it in his first few weeks at the company, presumably to see if he would get stroppy about it, but not realising that it made him look like a fool if he agreed. He also wasnt booed at Mania due to hate, it was a smart NY crowd and everyone and their mum knew it was his last match (and Brocks) added to the fact that the match wasnt very good, it was a guaranteed booing.

It could be argued that being his last match, the popular Goldberg would get positive send off from the fans.

• Paid Members
It could be argued that being his last match, the popular Goldberg would get positive send off from the fans.

A retirement match sure, but not a "Im not signing a new contract, the booking has been retarded" last match.

Plus Brock was leaving and the match was continuously poor throughout. Bill was buggered. Not as hard as Brock, Goldberg did have some support, but he was buggered.

Archived