Virgin Media TiVo Box - Anyone Got One?

David

It's like Sky+ on steroids I think...

I've seen a poster advertising it. Its a crap poster. It just says something along the lines of "It's going to make Sky+ quiver in its boots." That's it. So what? What does that mean? What benefit does that translate to me?

What I find funny is that your very excited to get this Tivo Virgin box, but you seem to have NO IDEA as to what it does. Sky + on steroids? What does that mean? Can you record more than two channels at a time? Does it have more hard drive space? I can't see how else you can improve on the Sky + experience.

What I find funny is that your very excited to get this Tivo Virgin box, but you seem to have NO IDEA as to what it does. Sky + on steroids? What does that mean? Can you record more than two channels at a time? Does it have more hard drive space? I can't see how else you can improve on the Sky + experience.

Don't mistake the fact that I couldn't be arsed going into detail earlier as me having NO IDEA what it does. I wouldn't place a fucking order for one without checking it out, would I?

The cheapest TiVo box has twice the hard drive space of the regular Sky+ HD box, you can record two channels and watch a third, it features access to the likes of Youtube, Twitter & iPlayer, and also features video on demand that won't slow down your broadband speed.

Unless it cuts out ad breaks I'm unimpressed.

Just had a look on the official site. Key difference seem to be a 1TB harddrive and the ability to record two shows and WATCH a third. Also you can rate shows with a thumbs up / thumbs down rate button for TV shows.

So yeah... its a improvement over SKY +, but I can't see anything particularly revolutionary.

Don't mistake the fact that I couldn't be arsed going into detail earlier as me having NO IDEA what it does. I wouldn't place a fucking order for one without checking it out, would I?

The cheapest TiVo box has twice the hard drive space of the regular Sky+ HD box, you can record two channels and watch a third, it features access to the likes of Youtube, Twitter & iPlayer, and also features video on demand that won't slow down your broadband speed.

Dude, you can hardly blame me for thinking that. Someone asked you directly what it was and you just said "Its like Sky + on steroids... I think."

If you can't be bothered to give a full answer on a thread you started, why would I think you would be bothered to research this Tivo box set before ordering?

Also you can rate shows with a thumbs up / thumbs down rate button for TV shows.

By rating shows it allows the box to recommend similar shows in future, storing them in the on demand folder for you to check out later.

Dude, you can hardly blame me for thinking that. Someone asked you directly what it was and you just said "Its like Sky + on steroids... I think."

If you can't be bothered to give a full answer on a thread you started, why would I think you would be bothered to research this Tivo box set before ordering?

Dude? Seriously?

I think you'll find it basically is Sky+ on steroids.

By rating shows it allows the box to recommend similar shows in future, storing them in the on demand folder for you to check out later.

Oh I know. I think that's a good idea. Be easier to choose a random program by judging what other people think. Its a good feature, no disagreement here.

Dude? Seriously? I think you'll find it basically is Sky+ on steroids.

What's your point? I never disputed it wasn't.

My brother just got his installed a fortnight ago, he likes it but personally I don't find much difference in it to the V+HD box I have had for a year (which you also can record two things and watch a third).

Plus points: 10mb personal Tivo internet connection (which is individual and doesn't use your exsisting internet connection.

Minus points: Strange remote that looks as if its from the film Click, which takes a lot of getting used to in terms of menus ect. You can't seem to set reminders for when a program is about to start, which you can do on the V+HD box.

• Moderators
After seeing the advert, I believe you can search for programmes by actor. That's all I've got...

I was gonna ask about this - from what I remember from what I read years ago, the US Tivo system has a really good search functionality. How does the Virgin one compare? (Sky's searching and browsing for stuff was rubbish last time I used it a couple years ago; not sure if it has improved much since?).

Archived