Where do you see British wrestling in 5 years?

the stupid dragon

Hi UKFF,

There has been so much talk about British wrestling taking the world by storm over the last ten years, though it never seems to quite happen. Where do you see British wrestling five years from now? Do you still think it'll be the same as it is now, even smaller, or much MUCH bigger?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi UKFF,

There has been so much talk about British wrestling taking the world by storm over the last ten years, though it never seems to quite happen. Where do you see British wrestling five years from now? Do you still think it'll be the same as it is now, even smaller, or much MUCH bigger?

In Britain. But its hard to say, some companies this year are growing, whilst others are losing ticket sales. It might get a little bigger and the power players may change.

If you would have asked me a year ago i would have been convinced that a company would be on TV. FWA and IPW both making strides. However IPW, is lacking in serious stories for a TV program whereas the FWA does not capitilise on any momentum it gains. It had the Star backing it and has even featured in a few documentaries yet insists on inactivity or running expo's. The art of war and Hope and glory recieved rave reviews last year and to follow it up they went to an expo.

In 5 years' time, it'll be in the same place as it was 5 years ago, I reckon. Some good people will be getting bookings in US indies or Japan from time to time, but there could be even more kids with internet connections playing promoter.

Some conman will still be ripping people off because the fans who they're ripping off so desperately want to believe.

All Star will still be the top drawing promotion in the country, WAW will still be doing what WAW very successfully does and other promoters will be telling its fans that exciting news is imminent to keep them holding on.

I can see internet media, such as IPW's On Demand service, becoming far more prevalent, and internet on-demand viewing replacing DVDs as time goes on. Quite how money will be made in the face of potential piracy is another matter for another day's discussion.

I am optimistic that, in five years' time, there will be something that emerges that changes the landscape of British wrestling in some way, because it's due one. In the mid to late 90s, Hammerlock brought new wrestlers and a new style of show to fans. In the mid 2000s, the FWA did the same. So, following that timeline, something new should hopefully be sending waves through the UK scene.

If you would have asked me a year ago i would have been convinced that a company would be on TV. FWA and IPW both making strides. However IPW, is lacking in serious stories for a TV program whereas the FWA does not capitilise on any momentum it gains. It had the Star backing it and has even featured in a few documentaries yet insists on inactivity or running expo's. The art of war and Hope and glory recieved rave reviews last year and to follow it up they went to an expo.

The bit I have highlighted here is actually what I think FWA do best. Nobody is going to go replicate what WWE do with weekly running episodic wrestling shows that are in synch with their 'house shows'. So what you have to look at is the quality and value of the footage itself no matter how long ago the shows took place. The quality, value and overall presentation of the footage at those expo shows is worth so much more than any shows at the Broxbourne Civic Hall or such like venues. When they have enough episodes put together to sell on to a network they will probably be able to do so but that back catalogue and ability to replicate that back catalogue should the program be successful is what is required.

The bit I have highlighted here is actually what I think FWA do best. Nobody is going to go replicate what WWE do with weekly running episodic wrestling shows that are in synch with their 'house shows'. So what you have to look at is the quality and value of the footage itself no matter how long ago the shows took place. The quality, value and overall presentation of the footage at those expo shows is worth so much more than any shows at the Broxbourne Civic Hall or such like venues. When they have enough episodes put together to sell on to a network they will probably be able to do so but that back catalogue and ability to replicate that back catalogue should the program be successful is what is required.

I may have misunderstood your point here and i'm sorry if I have, but I think the FWA shows at expos, memorabilia etc look dreadful on camera compared to the shows at 'normal' venues. The crowd is dead or not there, people are milling around everywhere and you get an annoucement about Olive from On the Buses blaring over the PA in the middle of a match.

To be fair their footage looks good wherever they are but it's at it's worst at the expos for me.

EDIT- And to Kamicazze Hope and Glory got dreadful reviews for containing THAT video package. All the rest were pretty well received I think though

I may have misunderstood your point here and i'm sorry if I have, but I think the FWA shows at expos, memorabilia etc look dreadful on camera compared to the shows at 'normal' venues. The crowd is dead or not there, people are milling around everywhere and you get an annoucement about Olive from On the Buses blaring over the PA in the middle of a match.

To be fair their footage looks good wherever they are but it's at it's worst at the expos for me.

EDIT- And to Kamicazze Hope and Glory got dreadful reviews for containing THAT video package. All the rest were pretty well received I think though

I agree.

I find the expo stuff really unwatchable because their not fans, their random tourists. I was enjoying the actual shows the FWA was putting on. Its all a tad rubbish now. Not for me.

In 5 years' time, it'll be in the same place as it was 5 years ago, I reckon. Some good people will be getting bookings in US indies or Japan from time to time, but there could be even more kids with internet connections playing promoter.

Some conman will still be ripping people off because the fans who they're ripping off so desperately want to believe.

All Star will still be the top drawing promotion in the country, WAW will still be doing what WAW very successfully does and other promoters will be telling its fans that exciting news is imminent to keep them holding on.

I can see internet media, such as IPW's On Demand service, becoming far more prevalent, and internet on-demand viewing replacing DVDs as time goes on. Quite how money will be made in the face of potential piracy is another matter for another day's discussion.

I am optimistic that, in five years' time, there will be something that emerges that changes the landscape of British wrestling in some way, because it's due one. In the mid to late 90s, Hammerlock brought new wrestlers and a new style of show to fans. In the mid 2000s, the FWA did the same. So, following that timeline, something new should hopefully be sending waves through the UK scene.

Unfortunatley I think there will be more fuckwits like Danny Rodd emerging who think they can play promoter. Hopefully I've learnt how to spot them by now. It's true though that a lot of fans are so passionate and so desperately wanting to believe that big things are around the courner in wrestling that a lot of bullshit artists will no doubt capitalize.

Who are All Star? I am sorry, I know they're said to be one of the top drawing promotions but I haven't heard of them. The top promotions are meant to be FWA, IPW and VPW. WAW is that the promotion, which was featured in that BBC documentary 'Wrestling with motherhood'?

Unfortunatley I think there will be more fuckwits like Danny Rodd emerging who think they can play promoter. Hopefully I've learnt how to spot them by now. It's true though that a lot of fans are so passionate and so desperately wanting to believe that big things are around the courner in wrestling that a lot of bullshit artists will no doubt capitalize.

Who are All Star? I am sorry, I know they're said to be one of the top drawing promotions but I haven't heard of them. The top promotions are meant to be FWA, IPW and VPW. WAW is that the promotion, which was featured in that BBC documentary 'Wrestling with motherhood'?

WAW and All-Star are two of the longest running promotions in the UK (alongside John Freemantle's; Premier Promotions). WAW is run by Ricky Knight and All-Star by Brian Dixon.

• Paid Members
WAW and All-Star are two of the longest running promotions in the UK (alongside John Freemantle's; Premier Promotions). WAW is run by Ricky Knight and All-Star by Brian Dixon.

With respect to WAW, All Star is THE top promotion in the UK; they've been around since at least the 70s, they used to be one of the promotions on TV when British wrestling was still big, they still run shows six days a week (they're the only promotion in the world who can offer six days of work a week, not even WWE has that), sometimes even running up to three shows in three different venues in one night, and they regularly outdraw pretty much every other British promotion, getting crowds of between 300 to 1000. They're probably the only promotion in the UK from which both promoter and wrestlers can make a full-time living.

With respect to WAW, All Star is THE top promotion in the UK; they've been around since at least the 70s, they used to be one of the promotions on TV when British wrestling was still big, they still run shows six days a week (they're the only promotion in the world who can offer six days of work a week, not even WWE has that), sometimes even running up to three shows in three different venues in one night, and they regularly outdraw pretty much every other British promotion, getting crowds of between 300 to 1000. They're probably the only promotion in the UK from which both promoter and wrestlers can make a full-time living.

I never backed WAW being THE top promotion in the UK. I was only clarifying to the above poster that they join All-Star in terms of longevity.

Archived