Where do you see British wrestling in 5 years?

the stupid dragon

• Paid Members
The multimedia world and people in general need to just take wrestling as it is. It's entertainment, not a sport. It's the only way it's really ever going to get anywhere in this country. People aren't stupid or naive to it any more. Trying to mock people's intelligence is what is turning people away.

But every conversation with a non-fan is the same:

"You know it's fake, don't you?"

"Yes."

"So why do you watch it?"

"Because it's entertainment watching men pretend to fight each other. It's the same principle as watching a Liam Neeson movie or whatever: it's fake but still entertaining."

"Yeah, but wrestling's a bit gay, isn't it? They hug in trunks."

"Yes. They're constantly fuckin' on primetime TV in arenas full of kids, aren't they?"

:bored:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, I've never once had that conversation.

I think the main reason wrestling isn't supported by a large number of the British public at the moment mainly boils down to how the society has evolved.

But every conversation with a non-fan is the same:

"You know it's fake, don't you?"

"Yes."

"So why do you watch it?"

"Because it's entertainment watching men pretend to fight each other. It's the same principle as watching a Liam Neeson movie or whatever: it's fake but still entertaining."

"Yeah, but wrestling's a bit gay, isn't it? They hug in trunks."

"Yes. They're constantly fuckin' on primetime TV in arenas full of kids, aren't they?"

:bored:

There's no need to be confrontational with it, when someone points out that wrestling is "fake" all you have to do is tell them that the TV shows and movies that they enjoy are also "fake". I've found that approach is a lot more useful than attempting to argue with people whose attitudes aren't going to be changed anyway, if you can't reason with them just force them into a stalemate.

• Paid Members
There's no need to be confrontational with it, when someone points out that wrestling is "fake" all you have to do is tell them that the TV shows and movies that they enjoy are also "fake". I've found that approach is a lot more useful than attempting to argue with people whose attitudes aren't going to be changed anyway, if you can't reason with them just force them into a stalemate.

I do, as illustrated above with the Liam Neeson reference.

Conversations don't always follow that formula; it was written like that to simply the point and get it across.

Come to think of it... it's been years since I had one of those discussions. Perhaps my age and circles I float in?

Most people I talk to now are more likely to say "my boys watch WWE".

I'm sure the discussions still occur though. Probably at secondary schools and pubs?

Would like to know what people still experience in this regards (and whether they would get the piss taken out of them for something else anyway so wrestling is just the apparatus for the mocking when anything else would do).

Aaron - curious.

It all depends, hopefully the little mammy boys playing 'promoter' will eventually grow up, leave home, and not be in a position to blow their money on shitty little wrestling shows, because they'll then have rent, bills, food etc to pay for.

Problem is, the next generation of little mammy boys will be coming through by then, so unfortunately I can't see anything changing other than decent hard working promoters like myself thinking "F**k this, what's the point!"

It all depends, hopefully the little mammy boys playing 'promoter' will eventually grow up, leave home, and not be in a position to blow their money on shitty little wrestling shows, because they'll then have rent, bills, food etc to pay for.

Problem is, the next generation of little mammy boys will be coming through by then, so unfortunately I can't see anything changing other than decent hard working promoters like myself thinking "F**k this, what's the point!"

The kids these days don't understand the meaning of a hard days graft!

Archived