Where do you see British wrestling in 5 years?

the stupid dragon

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi UKFF,

There has been so much talk about British wrestling taking the world by storm over the last ten years, though it never seems to quite happen. Where do you see British wrestling five years from now? Do you still think it'll be the same as it is now, even smaller, or much MUCH bigger?

Swindon and a bit bigger with higher quality performers and more polished looking graphics and shows.

WAW and All-Star are two of the longest running promotions in the UK (alongside John Freemantle's; Premier Promotions). WAW is run by Ricky Knight and All-Star by Brian Dixon.

Rowdy Ricky Knight runs WAW? Doesn't he also run RDW? I've seen some promos from the Rowdy one and he's quite intimidating, not someone I'd want to get on the wrong side of in real life. I've seen some promos of his wife Saraya as well and she's a scary bitch, she gives you the feeling she's the type of gal who'd actually cut your bollocks off. Very sexy though, as is their daughter Britney. :love:

With respect to WAW, All Star is THE top promotion in the UK; they've been around since at least the 70s, they used to be one of the promotions on TV when British wrestling was still big, they still run shows six days a week (they're the only promotion in the world who can offer six days of work a week, not even WWE has that), sometimes even running up to three shows in three different venues in one night, and they regularly outdraw pretty much every other British promotion, getting crowds of between 300 to 1000. They're probably the only promotion in the UK from which both promoter and wrestlers can make a full-time living.

So it is possible to make a full time living as a wrestler in the UK then? If this promotion is doing so well and are so secure why haven't they got themselves a TV deal? They sound like they could afford to splash the cash.

Also I've gotta ask, why doesn't Shane and Sloan get involved with ASW?

Funnily enough, that was PTW's business improvement mantra for 2011.

Don't start raggin on Staniforth again, please. He'll still be swanning around in Luton thinking he's Vince McMahon five years from now.

So it is possible to make a full time living as a wrestler in the UK then? If this promotion is doing so well and are so secure why haven't they got themselves a TV deal? They sound like they could afford to splash the cash.

I imagine that an attempt at TV for them would be far too much effort for not enough reward. Some of their wrestlers do make a full time living off of wrestling, yes.

Rowdy Ricky Knight runs WAW? Doesn't he also run RDW? I've seen some promos from the Rowdy one and he's quite intimidating, not someone I'd want to get on the wrong side of in real life. I've seen some promos of his wife Saraya as well and she's a scary bitch, she gives you the feeling she's the type of gal who'd actually cut your bollocks off. Very sexy though, as is their daughter Britney. :love:

Also I've gotta ask, why doesn't Shane and Sloan get involved with ASW?

Don't start raggin on Staniforth again, please. He'll still be swanning around in Luton thinking he's Vince McMahon five years from now.

possibly because Mr Dixon was making money before either were born therefore he doesnt need them, thats not a knock on either and they may have worked together before but why should Brian Dixon join with either when he doesnt need to, maybe they dont want to either

I think Sloan does work for Dixon on a regular basis, or he did not too long ago.

Both Mark and Alex have wrestled for All Star in the past, Mark more so I believe. However, as promoters, the seperate products that Shane and Sloan put out are vastly different from that of Brian Dixon's, and as such a partnership probably wouldn't provide too many benefits.

Both Mark and Alex have wrestled for All Star in the past, Mark more so I believe. However, as promoters, the seperate products that Shane and Sloan put out are vastly different from that of Brian Dixon's, and as such a partnership probably wouldn't provide too many benefits.

Indeed you are correct both myself and Alex have worked for Mr Dixon, in my case I debuted in 1995 with All Star and wrestled with them on and off over the course of 15 years. Also remeber Mr Dixon presented the KOE Cup on Alex's event in Liverpool aswell. However the bit about a partnership is slightly incorrect. There are many levels to working together and jointly promoting an event isn't something any of the three of us have ever done however to assume we do not work in partnership on many other levels is surprising. All Star is, was and will be for the forseeable future a European powerhouse and anyone who would despute them as the main player in European wrestling is only kidding themselves.

There is far more collaboration between the premier companies in the UK than people would think.

To be honest the media are really interested in Brit wrestling at the moment, this week alone with have had two programs, under age and pregnant and John Ritchie on bbc tonight in a large segment. We at WAW have just started on a documentary for prime time channel four which is hoped will become a series. We have had four offers in 6 months and it can only be positive for Brit wrestling to get so much airtime, imo Brit wrestling back on tv is not the no no many think.

As for WAW, I dont think it was ever meant to mean we are anywhere biggest in UK, Just been around third longest after Allstar and premier. For those who dont know us we are based in Norwich est 93., run between 60-90 shows a year, have one of the oldest training schools in the UK, With 80 plus members. We are pretty old school in style and tradition but have lads and ladies more than capable in new school. For the record i have made a living out of wrestling for 26 years, so i can be added to the full time list. As for RDW I work for them but its owner is Steve Sykes

As Mark Sloan has said Allstar are way the biggest fed in Europe and we would all like to be where Brian is but he has been at it 40 years and set the barrier high.

To be honest the media are really interested in Brit wrestling at the moment, this week alone with have had two programs, under age and pregnant and John Ritchie on bbc tonight in a large segment. We at WAW have just started on a documentary for prime time channel four which is hoped will become a series. We have had four offers in 6 months and it can only be positive for Brit wrestling to get so much airtime, imo Brit wrestling back on tv is not the no no many think.

As for WAW, I dont think it was ever meant to mean we are anywhere biggest in UK, Just been around third longest after Allstar and premier. For those who dont know us we are based in Norwich est 93., run between 60-90 shows a year, have one of the oldest training schools in the UK, With 80 plus members. We are pretty old school in style and tradition but have lads and ladies more than capable in new school. For the record i have made a living out of wrestling for 26 years, so i can be added to the full time list. As for RDW I work for them but its owner is Steve Sykes

As Mark Sloan has said Allstar are way the biggest fed in Europe and we would all like to be where Brian is but he has been at it 40 years and set the barrier high.

Yeah, I've gotta say I've been noticing an interest in documentaries about wrestling quite a lot lately. Very interesting you should say you've just started a documentary for prime time channel four, I am not doubting you in the least, though I have been given the distinct impression it's virtually impossible to get your ideas on channel four due to the level of competition and the height of their bar. You say they've been the ones approaching you though?

My question is, how much is it people wanting to see a wrestling show and how much is it that people are just compelled by the weird, unusuallness that comes with the teritory in pro wrestling? The freak show in other words.

The multimedia world and people in general need to just take wrestling as it is. It's entertainment, not a sport. It's the only way it's really ever going to get anywhere in this country. People aren't stupid or naive to it any more. Trying to mock people's intelligence is what is turning people away.

Archived