Cena longest running top face?

humanracer

If we take the Hogan era to be 1984-1992, then John Cena is on his way to become the longest running "top babyface" in WWE history. He has easily beaten the run of Bret Hart (93-97, though various attempts to replace him as the top guy) and Austin (98-2001). Rock could have had a long run as top face after X7 but chose to make movies instead.

What do you think?

• Paid Members
If we take the Hogan era to be 1984-1992, then John Cena is on his way to become the longest running "top babyface" in WWE history. He has easily beaten the run of Bret Hart (93-97, though various attempts to replace him as the top guy) and Austin (98-2001). Rock could have had a long run as top face after X7 but chose to make movies instead.

What do you think?

Austin was only number one face about 18 months. When he went down with his neck injury, The Rock was firmly the biggest draw in the business. He was huge in 2000. He had 50 Bentley's in the West Indies. He had a pocket full of cheese and a garden full of trees.

I thought Hogan was a heel until early 84 when he was quickly turned face to promote the WWF worldwide? I guess I am talking about the WWF as a global product from 84 onwards.

I used to think Rock became top face in 2000 but in retrospect I would argue the Austin era existed until X7. Sure Austin was out of action in 2000 but he returned at Backlash to a huge pop and much of the later part of the year was taken up with is impending return. Also the fact the Rock left to make movies after X7 makes me reluctant to acknowledge that he ever became the top draw.

• Paid Members
I thought Hogan was a heel until early 84 when he was quickly turned face to promote the WWF worldwide? I guess I am talking about the WWF as a global product from 84 onwards.

I used to think Rock became top face in 2000 but in retrospect I would argue the Austin era existed until X7. Sure Austin was out of action in 2000 but he returned at Backlash to a huge pop and much of the later part of the year was taken up with is impending return. Also the fact the Rock left to make movies after X7 makes me reluctant to acknowledge that he ever became the top draw.

He is the biggest draw in wrestling today. I would go to say he is the biggest wrestler in the world today.

• Paid Members

He was brought in to be the face of WWF. He won the World title in January of 1984 as a face.

He is the biggest draw in wrestling today.

No he isnt. He's a special attraction. Like Donald Trump. Only in tracky bottoms.

• Paid Members

So you might as well just ignore him breaking the all-time buyrate record in 2000 and consistantly drawing massive numbers on the road and on PPV in Austin's absence then.

Archived