Can ROH Compete?

BritFan

• Paid Members
At least with TNA there is enough of a market out there where the likes of me will watch it because a few people I like is on there. And people like my Dad will see someone who used to wrestle around the time my Dad bought his first Adam Ant LP and stay and watch it. TNA will always have that audience in the 2,000,000 region and their touring business will always be really hot in the likes of the UK and Australia, because we are mental like that. We are starved over here. Even if you think TNA is shit, there's still enough of the "WWE SUX~!" lot out there who will watch it or the nostalgia buffs or people who pretend it the X Division was once the main event even though it was actually Nikita Koloff and Dusty Rhodes ahead of them.ROH doesnt have star power to get to get to even TNA's level, never mind WWE.

I'd say there's at least some small potential for ROH to develop new stars, with the new financial backing. Whether or not they could hold on to any they are able to elevate is another matter.

• Paid Members
My exact point. People slate ROH for being minor league, yet they produce wrestlers that become stars in the two major US promotions.

So did OVW and ECW and the Heartland Wrestling Association. And every developmental league there ever was. Even a blind Cat can lick his bollocks. The fact is, none of them were game changes. WWE snapped them up because of potential, not because they were Goldberg. Being good and having any difference making value is completely different. TNA has Hogan, Hardy, RVD, Flair, Steiner, Bischoff, Mr. Kennedy, Sting and others. Doesnt make their PPV's sell.

• Paid Members
My exact point. People slate ROH for being minor league, yet they produce wrestlers that become stars in the two major US promotions.

That's a bit spurious. Yes, RoH produce those wrestlers, but it's WWE who make them major league through developmental runs. Punk was in developmental for quite a while. Joe has never improved on his potential in TNA - the best he ever looked was when he was in the X-Division, but the moment he moved outside it and was actually required to work a main-event match, he was rather badly exposed. Bryan's the only RoH guy I can think of who didn't need all that much in the way of development, and that's largely because he worked lots of tours with All Star, New Japan and NOAH to fully round out his craft.

• Paid Members

I don't get the impression ROH is trying to or wants to compete with the likes of WWE - not they ever, ever could in any fashion even if they did. They are a niche product presenting a certain style and are happy just trying to offer an alternative to those who want to go and find one. Naturally, those who are looking for that particular alternative and end up following ROH will generally enjoy it, since they have found a niche product catering specifically to their requirements. Of course, this also leads to plenty of those types fiercely (and somewhat stupidly on occasion) defending their 'own' promotion as superior to the mass market offering. It isn't, of course, but the truth is it's more suited to what they are looking for in pro wrestling.

While it is by it's very nature and always will be small-time in comparison to WWE and TNA, if they continue to do what they do and grow steadily there's no reason why they won't be able to achieve moderate success and earn a decent enough living for those involved, at the same time as creating a product that their target fanbase will thoroughly enjoy.

This post reminds me of West Ham United and the young players they have had for the last 20 years or so, yet I dont see West Ham winning titles, or even being in the same league as the big boys, literally.

ROH will be nothing more than what it is, I LOL when I hear callers on podcasts saying ROH is going to surpass TNA, and some how catch WWE, I know not every ROH fan is like that, but its just silly to say such things, just because they think WWE or TNA suck.

I was just about to say the same thing.

I haven't watched RoH regularly for years, but it's not just a series of exhibition matches. It's pro wrestling, with angles, characters, storylines and all the usual stuff. They just don't aim for the kids/family audience so much and present the actual matches as the really important bit.

Though not important enough to have them in actual arenas, evidently.

Archived