Can ROH Compete?

BritFan

With ROH pretty much getting rebranded after being bought and with a new television deal coming this fall. Do you feel that they have what it takes to be a third company alternate to the two big ones at the moment? Or is two more than enough? Is there space for a third product to benefit on the Market on an international scale?

• Paid Members

Not seen the recent product, so can't tell. What have they been re-branded to?

I think there's a space for a well-produced smaller company - there's an ECW-sized hole they can fill, I guess. But they can't compete with WWE. Nobody can, except for the Japanese and Mexican promotions, and then ONLY in their home markets, not internationally.

• Paid Members

At least with TNA there is enough of a market out there where the likes of me will watch it because a few people I like is on there. And people like my Dad will see someone who used to wrestle around the time my Dad bought his first Adam Ant LP and stay and watch it. TNA will always have that audience in the 2,000,000 region and their touring business will always be really hot in the likes of the UK and Australia, because we are mental like that. We are starved over here. Even if you think TNA is shit, there's still enough of the "WWE SUX~!" lot out there who will watch it or the nostalgia buffs or people who pretend it the X Division was once the main event even though it was actually Nikita Koloff and Dusty Rhodes ahead of them.ROH doesnt have star power to get to get to even TNA's level, never mind WWE.

It depends on what you mean in compete, should they put on shows head to head and try and steer money away from the WWE mass market - God No!

Can they let a few more wrestling fans in there mid-late teens and older looking for something with a bit more grit know about there product and increase there sales of IPPVs and DVDs and become an even bigger indy then yes.

From what I gather the Sinclair network is mostly in small markets. By that I mean places away from the big hubs like LA, Chicago, New York etc. Primarily ROH has been promoting in Major markets as does WWE and TNA. if you look at the size of the US and the places where they tour they are the top 3 cities in states most of the time. From my view, ROH could promote and tour the smaller cities and large towns that are still far away from the big hubs and have that same "oh wrestling is on at the memorial hall may as well check it out" attitude from fans over here and do quite well if promoted on TV to create stars

So in my mind ROH should compete with WWE, TNA possibly as there is no reason ROH couldnt have the same crowds as TNA house shows if they wanted. they should try and expand there audience and no there place as an Indy and really a SME business not a global corporation

• Paid Members
Very blunt answers, why not?

Because it's ROH. "Ring Of Honor". They're about "Pure wrestling", and not "insulting the fans intelligence" with things like storylines or charismatic performers. It's a niche audience. All the money in the world doesn't change the fact that the crowd they're aiming at is a fraction of the size of audience WWE and TNA are trying to draw in.

Also, even with that "fantastic" new tv deal they have, they still won't even be on tv in some of their biggest markets.

Never.

Because it's ROH. "Ring Of Honor". They're about "Pure wrestling", and not "insulting the fans intelligence" with things like storylines or charismatic performers. It's a niche audience. All the money in the world doesn't change the fact that the crowd they're aiming at is a fraction of the size of audience WWE and TNA are trying to draw in.

Also, even with that "fantastic" new tv deal they have, they still won't even be on tv in some of their biggest markets.

Never.

I don't even watch ROH frequently, but I know enough to say that's utter bollocks. ROH do have storylines and charismatic performers, they just present pro wrestling as an athletic exhibition rather than a soap opera. Guys like Punk, Joe and Bryan don't have a thimble of charisma in them do they?

I have to say i agree with everyone here and say that its not going to be a main player anytime soon.

However i think this TV oppurtunity is a great improvement from their HD-Net show. Which after doing a bit of research into the american tv system being on sinclair broadcasting is a big deal for a small company like ROH. It basically is the same of being on at graveyard time on the BBC but only in 60% of the country.

Not right now. But if they get TV in the bigger markets and Sinclair put money into them like Panda Energy put into TNA then i don't see why not. They could very easily steal TNA's audience with the right TV exposure.

I don't even watch ROH frequently, but I know enough to say that's utter bollocks. ROH do have storylines and charismatic performers, they just present pro wrestling as an athletic exhibition rather than a soap opera. Guys like Punk, Joe and Bryan don't have a thimble of charisma in them do they?

I was just about to say the same thing.

I haven't watched RoH regularly for years, but it's not just a series of exhibition matches. It's pro wrestling, with angles, characters, storylines and all the usual stuff. They just don't aim for the kids/family audience so much and present the actual matches as the really important bit.

Archived