heat on John Laurinaitis

xear

nodq.com

Several key WWE sources have informed us that the new priority for talent executive John Laurinaitis is to re-sign Rey Mysterio, whose contract expires early in 2012.

"Laurinaitis has a lot of egg on his face right now," we were told, "think about all the talent that has refused to re-sign. Jericho wouldn't re-sign. MVP wouldn't re-sign. Punk won't re-sign. Even undercard wrestlers like Chavo (Guerrero) won't re-sign right now. Laurinaitis needs a key re-signing to keep his corporate credibility alive right now!"

With the serious fallout from CM Punk's homophobic remarks in Australia, Laurinaitis has targeted keeping Rey Mysterio in the fold as a demonstration to WWE Chairman Vince McMahon he still has the talent under control. "Laurinaitis always had big shoes to fill since he took over from Jim Ross," we were told, "now he has to produce results. This is going to be very interesting to watch!"

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

To be fair to Ace, it seemed he was doing a good job when he first started - I remember JR saying in his Ross Report that Laurinaitis "was a godsend", saying he'd taken to the assistant job well and taken a load of pressure off him.

I think everyone has their time, and eventually it's a matter of when, rather than if, you end up having to step down.

• Paid Members

Jim Ross didnt have to work for him though. Everyone who leaves WWE says how shit it is with Ace as the head of talent. He's the most hated man in wrestling probably. He hasnt had the best track record for spotting talent, which is pretty much his job. Most of the top stars like Cena, Mysterio, Orton and Batista were signed by Ross. He did bring in Kelly Kelly to be fair to him. Even the developmental league has been crushed by him. They had a good thing going for years with OVW, with Ross and OVW working together.

• Paid Members
Personally, I'd be interested to see Johnny Ace laterally moved within the company to something of a booking/writing role.

One thing I was hoping they'd do (although I understand why they didn't) was, when Orton had debuted the RKO and the Legend Killer gimmick, that they'd book Orton against Ace in a one-angle/show micro-feud, Ace Crusher vs. RKO.

Like I say, I understand why they didn't; Ace was never that big a name. Think it would've been a bit nifty, though - extra "legend" scalp (WWE could've made him look one for just one night) for Orton, and a bit of backstory to the RKO.

Exactly! It's his fucking job to bring in top talent and he's brought in nothing but shite for years. Why the frig he's a top exec in that company is beyond me. The dumb fucking shit that he is. I've spoken to him on a very restricted basis and in the 2 mins I spent talking to him I instantly thought he had no clue about anything. Fair doos I was drunk but so was he!!!

Completely off topic but on that video they do a german suplex coupled with a flying clothesline off the top (catching him half way) on a jobber - it looked good but completely uncontrollable and dangerous. The guy doing the suplex loses control of the rotation of the guy taking it - naturally leading to over-rotation onto the poor guy's neck. Oh and to get the timing right the suplex has to go up late leading to more loss of control. Does anyone else using this double team these days?

In terms of freshening up/losing talent I'm personally all in favour of doing this in a planned way by giving top talent regular paid holiday say 2 months a year that they are encouraged to take in one block or when they suffer an injury in order to freshen them up. Quite difficult to work but it would force them to build up more wrestlers, allow them a break, and freshen them up for returns.

Exactly! It's his fucking job to bring in top talent and he's brought in nothing but shite for years. Why the frig he's a top exec in that company is beyond me. The dumb fucking shit that he is. I've spoken to him on a very restricted basis and in the 2 mins I spent talking to him I instantly thought he had no clue about anything. Fair doos I was drunk but so was he!!!

When and where did you get pissed with Johnny Ace?

• Paid Members
Completely off topic but on that video they do a german suplex coupled with a flying clothesline off the top (catching him half way) on a jobber - it looked good but completely uncontrollable and dangerous. The guy doing the suplex loses control of the rotation of the guy taking it - naturally leading to over-rotation onto the poor guy's neck. Oh and to get the timing right the suplex has to go up late leading to more loss of control. Does anyone else using this double team these days?

He had much better double-teams with Mike Barton (formerly Bart Gunn) in All Japan - one was a sort of variant of the 3D, with Barton doing a gorilla press on the opponent, and Ace catching him with an Ace Crusher as Barton dropped him. They also had one where Barton would do a sidewalk slam, and Ace would legdrop the opponent as he dropped.

One of the few games I've ever seen Johnny Ace in, GiantGram 2000 on DC, has that double-team. Looks sweet. I never got to see much of Ace as a wrestler, but most people tell me he was crap; however, his character on GG2K is pretty playable, at least.

That's harsh. He wasn't at the top of AJPW, but then that was the most top-heavy company of all time. He was more than competent and featured in plenty of good matches. He was comfortable at the Furnas/Kroffat/Ogawa/Kikuchi sort of level and after Gordy lost it, he was good enough to step up as Williams' partner and do the odd main event tag.

• Paid Members
That's harsh. He wasn't at the top of AJPW, but then that was the most top-heavy company of all time. He was more than competent and featured in plenty of good matches. He was comfortable at the Furnas/Kroffat/Ogawa/Kikuchi sort of level and after Gordy lost it, he was good enough to step up as Williams' partner and do the odd main event tag.

Fair enough - I never got to see much of him, like I said, and am only going off other people's reports. For some reason, his matches have proven fiendishly difficult to get hold of.

When and where did you get pissed with Johnny Ace?

I didn't get pissed with him, I'm not viktor c!! Just got lucky with a hotel booking in Arizona last year after mania and ended up in the same hotel as them.

I didn't get pissed with him, I'm not viktor c!! Just got lucky with a hotel booking in Arizona last year after mania and ended up in the same hotel as them.

That's cool. Any good stories? Who else was there?

It was cool. Patterson and Slaughter were there as well. Laurinaitis was talking with Kevin Dunn I think. Best bit was when Vince came in but he went right upstairs and never came back down.

Actually the real best bit was walking through all the fans outside who couldnt get in cause they didnt have a room there. Was a one off. Totally unplanned but was a lot of fun.

Archived