Tainted Moments in Wrestling

AJS269

I was watching Wrestlemania 20 and had to switch off the main event because of Benoit, and it got me thinking.

What moments in wrestling can you not watch due nowadays which you used to enjoy?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always feel horrible watching One Night Stand in 2005 when Joey Styles says 'Awesome with a suicide plancha, I hope he does kill himself '(or something similar)

"and its a shame that he didnt suceed in taking his own life!"

I was watching Wrestlemania 20 and had to switch off the main event because of Benoit, and it got me thinking.

What moments in wrestling can you not watch due nowadays which you used to enjoy?

The one you said mate. It was my favourite WM main-event but I don't really enjoy watching it now.

Ah if ya get to into all that it can get far too dull, benoit matches are still fine matches. Joey styles wishing death on awesome is no issue, he might not like him but it's still a work when he goes that far. It's fiction, you can enjoy watch polanski films despite him sodomising a minor, the art is what it is, if ya like it great, don't worry about the people behind it.

Not that wrestlings really art mind, just seemed the closest fit to the idea.

• Paid Members

The one you said mate. It was my favourite WM main-event but I don't really enjoy watching it now.

Why?

I don't get the whole, "Benoit went nuts-crazy so I feel bad watching his matches now." I don't think any one on here knew him personally, so I can't see why you can't put the DVD on and just enjoy it for the grand wrestling match it was at the time, and probably still is.

• Paid Members

Why?

I don't get the whole, "Benoit went nuts-crazy so I feel bad watching his matches now." I don't think any one on here knew him personally, so I can't see why you can't put the DVD on and just enjoy it for the grand wrestling match it was at the time, and probably still is.

If you watch the mania title win from a sense that this guy finally won the big belt your looking at it from an emotional view point rather than from a technical wrestling view point. It's harder to connect and feel the emotion of Benoit winning after knowing what he did.

That's my take on it anyway

• Paid Members
If you watch the mania title win from a sense that this guy finally won the big belt your looking at it from an emotional view point rather than from a technical wrestling view point. It's harder to connect and feel the emotion of Benoit winning after knowing what he did.

I guess that's where you and me differ then ;)

I guess that's where you and me differ then ;)

I think the point about that particular Benoit match as apposed to a generic one from a Smackdown or something, is that the whole story was that "nice, hardworking, well-liked Benoit has finally gotten the recognition for all his hard work". It was as much a "Thank you" Title win as anything else.

After it comes out he's a child-murderer, I imagine many have trouble "enjoying" Benoit's big moment.

I personally have no issue with watching his matches, but I'd agree that watching that one particular match would be a bit off. If only for all the "what a great bloke, Benoit is" stuff that came with it.

Why?

But that's benoit the wrestler, not the human being, ya don't know the human being. As a wrestler, it still keeps all that, he was a hard working intense bulldog clone and he was the bollocks. As a person, towards the end, a little more dubious, but that's not how you're cheering.

It works over here too, there's a chap, quite well known, all pop star loving and happy and over. Now he's got some serious heat for doing something with a girl pre age of consent, a sister of another worker, not a very nice bloke at all. But the character he plays still gets pops and love and rightly so, it's a good character.

Why?

But that's benoit the wrestler, not the human being, ya don't know the human being. As a wrestler, it still keeps all that, he was a hard working intense bulldog clone and he was the bollocks. As a person, towards the end, a little more dubious, but that's not how you're cheering.

It works over here too, there's a chap, quite well known, all pop star loving and happy and over. Now he's got some serious heat for doing something with a girl pre age of consent, a sister of another worker, not a very nice bloke at all. But the character he plays still gets pops and love and rightly so, it's a good character.

By that logic, Gary Glitter's music should still have its fans - but it simply doesn't.

Just because he went fiddling with kids doesnt mean that 'Do you wann be in my gang' isn't a catchy tune, yet, no matter how many times I look, I can never find his 'Best of' album in HMV.

Why?

By that logic, Gary Glitter's music should still have its fans - but it simply doesn't.Just because he went fiddling with kids doesnt mean that 'Do you wann be in my gang' isn't a catchy tune, yet, no matter how many times I look, I can never find his 'Best of' album in HMV.

Michael Jackson does though . . . to work it out mathematically

Child Molestation + 'Do you wanna be in my gang' = Unacceptable

Child Molestation + 'Thriller' = Acceptable

So one must conclude that:

Thriller > You wanna be in my gang

Appreciation of music > Disapproval of child molestation.

• Paid Members
Michael Jackson does though . . . to work it out mathematically

Child Molestation + 'Do you wanna be in my gang' = Unacceptable

Child Molestation + 'Thriller' = Acceptable

So one must conclude that:

Thriller > You wanna be in my gang

Appreciation of music > Disapproval of child molestation.

But Michael Jackson was never convicted or found guilty of child molestation.

Archived