Tainted Moments in Wrestling

AJS269

• Moderators

OK someone just compare something Hitler now so we can wrap this snoozefest of a thread up..

Telling people that Benoit matches are fine to watch is a pointless argument that's been had a million times on here and completely misses the point - some people can divorce what he did from his wrestling, others can't. It's completely subjective.

If you maintain that it's objective, you're wrong because you definitely don't only enjoy entertainment and art created by people with the exact same moral values as you. So it's just a case of where you draw the line.

If you maintain that the line is drawn at a definable and objective boundary.. well, you're just intolerant, and wrong.

OK, now we've got that out of the way can this thread be used to discuss it's original intented topic?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK someone just compare something Hitler now so we can wrap this snoozefest of a thread up..

Telling people that Benoit matches are fine to watch is a pointless argument that's been had a million times on here and completely misses the point - some people can divorce what he did from his wrestling, others can't. It's completely subjective.

If you maintain that it's objective, you're wrong because you definitely don't only enjoy entertainment and art created by people with the exact same moral values as you. So it's just a case of where you draw the line.

If you maintain that the line is drawn at a definable and objective boundary.. well, you're just intolerant, and wrong.

OK, now we've got that out of the way can this thread be used to discuss it's original intented topic?

A very necessary thread save.

For me, it's angles that seemed like gold at the time, but weren't followed up properly. People will still watch Hall and Nash's initial appearances on Nitro 15 years on, because they seemed like something big at the time, and they led to something massive. I can't see myself ever particularly wanting to re-watch, say, Randy Orton's punt on Vince or the intial Nexus beatdown on RAW 10-15 years in the future, because the storylines that followed them were a forgettable heap of shite.

• Moderators
For me, it's angles that seemed like gold at the time, but weren't followed up properly. People will still watch Hall and Nash's initial appearances on Nitro 15 years on, because they seemed like something big at the time, and they led to something massive. I can't see myself ever particularly wanting to re-watch, say, Randy Orton's punt on Vince or the intial Nexus beatdown on RAW 10-15 years in the future, because the storylines that followed them were a forgettable heap of shite.

Yeah.. wasted potential in a story line like that is disappointing.

...which brings to mind Matt Hardy. The whole angle for his come back after the Edge / Lita thing was really hot, the intensity in that first brawl they had was something special. But after that... pffft! It fizzled.

And then Matt Hardy started his real descent into becoming a total joke and that retrospectively tainted even the really good stuff he did as V1.

The Savage/Liz storyline is tainted due to a) Savage being a controlling nutter who locked Liz in closets, b) the fact that they were divorced within a year of their onscreen marriage, and c) the fact that they are both now dead.

The Matt Hardy/Lita kiss in 2000 is tainted due to the circumstances of their breakup with Matt being exposed as a weirdo and Lita as a bit of a slut.

Flair's "final match" and big send-off in WWE. Although you know, add your own favourite fake wrestling retirement here: Roddy Piper, Terry Funk, Razor Ramon Hard Gay...

• Paid Members
By that logic, Gary Glitter's music should still have its fans - but it simply doesn't.

Just because he went fiddling with kids doesnt mean that 'Do you wann be in my gang' isn't a catchy tune, yet, no matter how many times I look, I can never find his 'Best of' album in HMV.

Glitter had some good songs. Rock n Roll Part 2 is still played at Basketball, American Football and Baseball games to this day. Its a tune, you cant deny it. Leader of the Gang is class as well, because Hulk Hogan did a cover of it.

Not that wrestlings really art mind, just seemed the closest fit to the idea.

It is.

Pfft, it's just wrestling mate, art's really pushing it. I'd go so far as to call it a sport, but it's not an art.

• Paid Members
By that logic, Gary Glitter's music should still have its fans - but it simply doesn't.

Just because he went fiddling with kids doesnt mean that 'Do you wann be in my gang' isn't a catchy tune, yet, no matter how many times I look, I can never find his 'Best of' album in HMV.

Glitter had some good songs. Rock n Roll Part 2 is still played at Basketball, American Football and Baseball games to this day. Its a tune, you cant deny it. Leader of the Gang is class as well, because Hulk Hogan did a cover of it.

Despite the lyrics beinig a little suspect in hindsight I Love You Love, Do Ya Wanna Touch and Rock N' Roll Christmas are all cracking tunes too.

Wrestling-wise does Jimmy Snuka's cage dive become any less enjoyable because he murdered a ring rat?

• Paid Members
Not that wrestlings really art mind, just seemed the closest fit to the idea.

It is.

Pfft, it's just wrestling mate, art's really pushing it. I'd go so far as to call it a sport, but it's not an art.

Its definitely closer to art than it is to sport anyway. Its more like a stage production, which could be considers part of "the arts". Its definitely not a sport.

I'd go along with foley's view that if figure skating can count, so can wrestling. But it's not got enough to it to be art, it's entertainment I'll grant but it doesn't make it as far as art, to my mind.

Archived