Brock Lesnar in 'serious talks' with WWE

wandshogun09

From f4w\obeserver online

dave meltzer wrote this

--This seems to be a pattern whenever I report something regarding Brock Lesnar and message board people who don't read change it. Lesnar is not going to WWE. Lesnar is in negotiations for a non-TV connection with WWE that is close to being finalized. He is not going to do any matches almost for sure until his UFC contract expires, and may never wrestle a match with WWE the rest of his life. I seriously doubt he will ever be a WWE wrestler more than perhaps a big Mania match like the one that was talked about but fell apart for this year's Mania. This has nothing to do with UFC other than it is a deal UFC is involved with and would have had to approve since he's under contract to them. The only reason it was brought up is because Monday's promo mentioning Lesnar and Paul Heyman involve people that are in talks with for a deal that does not involve being television performers. Of course writing this again will likely mean more web sites will report Dave Meltzer saying Brock Lesnar is leaving UFC for WWE.

• Paid Members

What are the chances all this is about the upcoming "Greatest stars of the 2000's" set?, he'll be featured on that.

It is probably all about merchandising. Maybe some figures, and a "Where are they now?" interview with WWE.com. I can't see him getting another dvd, and I definitely can't see him as an "ambassador" for the company.

What are the chances all this is about the upcoming "Greatest stars of the 2000's" set?, he'll be featured on that.

It is probably all about merchandising. Maybe some figures, and a "Where are they now?" interview with WWE.com. I can't see him getting another dvd, and I definitely can't see him as an "ambassador" for the company.

Think this is fairly spot on.

Still doesn't hurt to have a working relationship with Lesnar now if they are looking to get a mania match out of him after his UFC deal runs it's course.

Do WWE need to make any kind of deal to do a DVD release on or featuring Brock? OK it would obviously be good to have a sit-down interview/talking heads with the man himself if they're considering a Lesnar doc-and-best-of set, but since they own the footage I would have thought they could promote it without his consent or involvement? (And they should do too, while he's drawing big numbers in the MMA world.)

I'd guess they're just looking at collaborating on various merchandising opportunities together - DVD, figures, maybe even T-shirts etc. If he is looking at leaving the UFC, it would make more sense to wait until the end of his contract with them, because at the moment I'm guessing Dana White is gonna want a hefty slice of the pie on any deal they do. I reckon Brock will be sticking around at least for the rubber match with Mir though (unlikely to get face smashed in again, good chance of rebuilding reputation, tasty payday) and probably long beyond that given the kind of money he must be earning - so this could actually be a good opportunity for WWE and UFC to do some business together, and for everybody involved to milk the Lesnar cash-cow even further.

Could WWE sponsor Brock in UFC?

Unlikely I would say, the deal would favour neither side. Odds are the vast majority of MMA fans are or have been pro-wrestling fans and are doubtless more than aware of WWE and that Brock Lesnar used to be a part of it, so Vince and co. are unlikely to gain any new converts.

For the UFC it would only be a bad thing as a link with WWE could well imply that UFC too is "sports entertainment".

Two fighters looking for other avenues. Rampage said if movies pay more than fighting he'd be gone. Thats absurd as he would still earn a fortune in fighting as he has done for years now. Brock going back to WWE is sensless. He too has earned millions I would imagine, and that was just in WWE. Yeah he has done alot in WWE in the two years he was there (KOTR, Royal Rumble Winner, main evented mania) this might sound silly but would that be enough to qualify as a legend? Or does it count more about the time you've been there like HBK, Flair, Undertaker etc?

Archived