WWE's Internet Midcard

Green

• Paid Members

With Ryder getting himself over with his Youtube videos, I decided to check around to see if his idea had influenced any others. I came across this Melina video in which she insults Gail Kim, completely in character of course, and builds up their "feud" on Superstars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfshHgV5IXg...nel_video_title

I know this is sure to split some people and I'm not going to talk about whether Melina's promo was a work of art or anything but is it just me that really likes this as an idea? It really adds a lot more story and importance to shows like Superstars and could even give the roster far more character depth if it continues. WWE seem reluctant to fully embrace the new trends on the internet (I seem to remember it taking them a while to push the Twitter and Facebook accounts) but don't you agree that it's quite a fresh new method to further the feuds between some of the wrestlers and their characters?

Or is it just wishful thinking that they may choose to run with it in the future?

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I don't think it necessarily adds anything. Ryder's videos have been great, but that Melina one didn't make me want to watch their Superstars feud at all. Video blogs furthering feuds and characters can be alright, but they're no substitute for having proper storylines happen on telly.

There's nothing wrong with it, and it gives the midcard people something to do to help themselves. If they have got an actual storyline going on, whether on one of the main shows or Superstars, it could help them to an extent. On the main show, the main event scene is always most likely to dominate, so anything else that goes on has to be pretty important to be able to stand out and get the attention of the people.

If they were doing videos of some sort for YouTube, and then posting them on the WWE website at the same time, it could work. It means that even if they only get a couple of minutes each week to progress the story on TV, they can have something in video format which they put on the internet.

For example, based on what we've seen on Superstars in the last month or so, could videos of Tyson Kidd going around looking for a manager work?

Agreed ZKM.

On one hand I think it adds more realism to the overall storylines. People in the mid card or the low card very rarely get time to cut promos on television so if they are indeed involved in an angle they don't really have an outlet to promote or push their storyline. This gives them a way to do that.

However on the other hand, it seems like every Indy fed uses this model to promote or push matches, since many of them don't have a television show, if any at all. So you could argue that it comes off as very amateurish .

Someone like Melina? I couldn't give a shit about but if guys like Ted DiBiase or people around that level started doing it to promote their new characters and try get themselves more attention, then it could really help a guy like that get over as a heel or babyface because more people would have a chance to get to know what he's about.

Melina looks dog rough in that video.

She almost looked like skeletor in that video.

• Paid Members

Didn't everyone on here rip Matt Hardy to shreds when he started doing this in attempt to add something to/promote his on tv issue with Drew McIntyre? His execution was pretty wank but, still. Matt seems to have been a pretty significant instigator of this and has certainly influenced others who have since done similar.

• Moderators
Didn't everyone on here rip Matt Hardy to shreds when he started doing this in attempt to add something to/promote his on tv issue with Drew McIntyre? His execution was pretty wank but, still. Matt seems to have been a pretty significant instigator of this and has certainly influenced others who have since done similar.

I think the problem with Matt Hardy's is that it was like a fat skaghead found a camera and would just ramble into it, stalk people as they go for a piss (My personal favourite), or just film his speedometer as he was driving about 120 MPH.

Oh yeah, and eat big plates of wings and mentioning the restaurant in the hope of getting a freebie there next time.

I think it depends on the videos and the workers in them.

(I know I'm setting myself up for some stick on this)

If a worker makes a video that is entertaining and boosts their popularity (like Zack Ryder) its a good thing as it gives them the popularity they need

If the video isn't entertaining , or makes the guy look like a weirdo (like Matt Hardy) It hurts them, damages their reputation and in Hardys case has probably contributed to his firing in one company and (rumored) suspension in another one.

Geezo I've never understood why people thought she was nice and that video confirms it. Ugly skank.

As for using the internet to get yourself over, Matt Hardy invented it did he not? and thats got him a nice spot in TNA doing ...exactly the same as he was in WWE. Zach Ryder is doing it better but he cant get off jobbing duty of superstars so yeah it's totally counter productive.

It's a scripted TV show. If your not on, your not on. If writing your own stuff and going on the web makes you feel better for having a shitty position on the card then, by all means, be pathetic.

It would be unwise to not use the internet in this fashion.

It's not at all counter-productive. You could say it's not helped guys like Hardy and Ryder but I doubt it hurt them either.

Every company should be looking at how they can increase their visibilty within the various online social networks that best suit their demographics. In WWE's case, Twitter and Facebook should be up there alongside their most potent marketing tools.

Gotta get into the future.

It would be unwise to not use the internet in this fashion.

It's not at all counter-productive. You could say it's not helped guys like Hardy and Ryder but I doubt it hurt them either.

Every company should be looking at how they can increase their visibilty within the various online social networks that best suit their demographics. In WWE's case, Twitter and Facebook should be up there alongside their most potent marketing tools.

Gotta get into the future.

How did it not hurt Hardy? He was in a feud with Drew McIntyre which was dying off on TV so Hardy got his Iphone out and starting hiding in showers and empty locker rooms and put it on youtube, soon after he was released.

• Paid Members

I'm not saying WWE should get behind everyone who does it but I think that hosting a select few of these internet promos on their website could really add some depth to the bland midcard scene it has going on at the moment. It's certainly made me a little bit more interested in checking out Superstars anyway, which is a decent show that just often lacks purpose. Seeing as it's an internet show itself I think it'd be quite cool to push some of these internet promos to hype the matches up a bit.

Archived