The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

• Paid Members
Thank you Jason Scotland!

What changed today, seph?

Two strikers, a decent debut, an old-hand coming back and a positive mental attitude (for the most part). Got hairy towards the end, but it's a bloody good start.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you Jason Scotland!

What changed today, seph?

Two strikers, a decent debut, an old-hand coming back and a positive mental attitude (for the most part). Got hairy towards the end, but it's a bloody good start.

Aye, just needs to stick this time.. I think if we go on a short run and then fall apart again McInnes is going to be in trouble

Still, not playing Foster in defence, because he isnt a defender, dropping the ubershit McGivern, and blooding some youth and not packing the team with loanees, was a much added bonus

We cant score three every game, and need to stop conceding bucket loads.. Its a very decent start though

Ryan McGivern isn't very good, is he? I know it's bullshit but reading "Man City loanee" raises your expectations now and he's barely Championship quality.

How the bollocks he is an international is beyond me. He ain't no Left Back, that's for certain. He could come good as a Centre Back but it is only could. Man City gave him a new contract over the summer, so what they see in him must be completely different to the rest of the world.

That's Blackpool for you. The only team in England where they don't have to sell players because their chairman revels in being a skinflint.

I have a serious question though. My friend covers Charlton and we were discussing the loan of Paul Hayes to Wycombe. It didn't make the most sense to loan him in the first place but I hypothesized that most loans, especially end of season ones, come from a desire to get players who aren't starting off the wage bill and that, in fact, clubs plan to loan a certain number of players across a season as part of their budgeting. Anybody come across anything that proves my point?

Saw the Town v Hull goals earlier, thought McCarthy should have done a lot better on Koren's goal, looked very slow to move across his line. McClean's foul ( I think?) was probably the dumbest way to give away a penalty I've seen in a while, but equally comical too. About time Leadbitter stood up and was counted though, all in all another good point for Town, I said before hand that Hull would win so a point is refreshing, 2 months ago they'd have rolled over and died. I can see Hull finishing about 8th or so, but most likely being a real force in the division next season.

• Paid Members

Shit happens. We're doing what we need to do, but shit happens. We'll get over this. Pompey and Watford next, both do-able.

Shit happens. We're doing what we need to do, but shit happens. We'll get over this. Pompey and Watford next, both do-able.

It's better from us. I dont think that we deserved to win or a draw as many are claiming amongst our fans. Cardiff came for the smash and grab, put our defence under pressure and generally just did enough to get by. Our playing with heart, but with aimless balls and diagonal passes in general can only get you so far and in the end it wasn't good enough. We are going to have to keep that up until the end of the season, to survive the drop

And we are down from conceding 3 a game to 2 a game which is marginally better.

• Paid Members
Saw the Town v Hull goals earlier, thought McCarthy should have done a lot better on Koren's goal, looked very slow to move across his line. McClean's foul ( I think?) was probably the dumbest way to give away a penalty I've seen in a while, but equally comical too. About time Leadbitter stood up and was counted though, all in all another good point for Town, I said before hand that Hull would win so a point is refreshing, 2 months ago they'd have rolled over and died. I can see Hull finishing about 8th or so, but most likely being a real force in the division next season.

I thought you were a United fan?

Ippy's recent form has been excellent, save for a defeat last week. Too late for a play-off push, but proof that Jewell and the players are actually capable of doing well against most outfits in the Championship. In recent seasons though, when their campaign goes a bit sour and they've approached the end of it, the fans have always been keen to stress that "Oh well, we'll be stronger next season!" I think it's a trap that they keep falling into and that mentality needs to stop really. They had such an awesome start to the season and blew it spectacularly.

With regards to Bullard and Chopra, both can do a good job for them on their day, but their heads just don't seem like they're on straight. Players like that need to either be kept in check better or moved on to another club, replaced by people who aren't there for the monies. I've usually defended Bullard in the past, and I still think he's a sound player, but he doesn't have the bite, ditto Chopra, to help take a club like Ipswich back into the Premier League.

We'll see what happens next season. I'd actually love them to go up, having the Old Farm derby back in the Premier League would be fantastic. (As would the extra 6 points. LOLOLOLO)

I thought you were a United fan?

Ippy's recent form has been excellent, save for a defeat last week. Too late for a play-off push, but proof that Jewell and the players are actually capable of doing well against most outfits in the Championship. In recent seasons though, when their campaign goes a bit sour and they've approached the end of it, the fans have always been keen to stress that "Oh well, we'll be stronger next season!" I think it's a trap that they keep falling into and that mentality needs to stop really. They had such an awesome start to the season and blew it spectacularly.

With regards to Bullard and Chopra, both can do a good job for them on their day, but their heads just don't seem like they're on straight. Players like that need to either be kept in check better or moved on to another club, replaced by people who aren't there for the monies. I've usually defended Bullard in the past, and I still think he's a sound player, but he doesn't have the bite, ditto Chopra, to help take a club like Ipswich back into the Premier League.

We'll see what happens next season. I'd actually love them to go up, having the Old Farm derby back in the Premier League would be fantastic. (As would the extra 6 points. LOLOLOLO)

I am a United fan, but my Girlfriend and her entire family are blues.

Your'e half right about Bullard and Chopra, Chopra has still got a lot to offer and has got 14 goals so far this season and is still one of the top 5 strikers at Championship level, his head does need to be screwed on properly to get the best out of him though, Bullard on the other hand is a complete waste of space and is a complete embarrassment to professional footballers at times, he's put in performances this season that wouldn't look out of place in pub footy. Still, I'm sure some other muggings of a club will come along and take on his crazy wages.

Archived