The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

OK, I have a proper keyboard now. To go over the places to park:

Priory Gardens (off Tennyson Road, with Birchanger Road as a backup), Sunny Bank (behind the now-closed Goat House Tavern), Ross Road (behind the White Horse Lane end) and Sangley Road. The first two have the advantage of being right by the bus into Croydon which has more variety than chip shops, kebab houses and Jerk Chicken places.

As for the route:

If you're going to go to Priory Gardens, you are best off driving right out of the close and trying to go left along Selhurst Road for a couple of mile towards West Croydon (A213), turning right when you get to London Road (A235) in West Croydon. Drive along that road until you go through Norbury and get to Streatham. Then you get to the A214 and follow that road through Tooting, Earlsfield and Wandsworth Common and go over Wandsworth Bridge (A217). If your sat nav says to go over Battersea Bridge, you're entering a world of hurt, Wandsworth Bridge is the deal.

Once over the bridge, go straight until you reach a t-junction, go right onto King's Road (A308) and follow it down until the signs start saying Earls Court is left. Go along the A3220 through Earls Court, over the A4 until you get to the Holland Park Roundabout and go straight over. That's Shepherd's Bush, it's where Westfield is, it's a massive f'n landmark. Avoid the A4 like the plague, the Hammersmith Flyover is out and it's terrible at the moment. Follow the A3220 to its conclusion at the A40 interchange. Go West (life is peaceful there), following signs for Oxford and Banbury etc. Then you have a choice.

Either change onto the North Circular (A406) at the Hanger Lane gyratory, go northbound and go to the M1 at Dollis Hill or continue on the A40 until it becomes the M40. Both take you to the M6, both take roughly the same amount of time.

The alternative option is heading to central Croydon, following the signs for the A232 and then for the A23. Head for the M25 and go clockwise to the M40. It's longer in both time and distance but it's a lot less hassle.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you park at Ross Road or Sunny Bank btw, you're better off going to South Norwood Hill (A215) towards West Norwood. You drive down a massive hill and then back up one. At that point, go left onto Crown Lane, which is part of the aforementioned A214. Follow the route to Streatham and pick up the aforementioned route.

• Awards Moderator

mikey, you're an absolute gent. Thanks very much for the tips. I'll stick the different routes in to the sat nav over the weekend and see what the time differences are; like you say, the M25/M40 route may take a little longer but if it's less of a hassle then I might be best rather than getting lost and pulling over every couple of minutes to check your directions on the iPad. Saying that, I'm trying to convince a mate who lives in London itself to re-jig his plans to let me crash on his sofa so I can drive home the next day. If that's the case, I'd better get memorising one of the other routes.

Either way, you've been a massive help so it's very much appreciated. Top man.

You're welcome, sir.

While I'm here, and speaking of Palace and Cardiff, apparently the two teams are locked in a game of cat and mouse over Dekel Keinan. Palace have brought in John Egan and Mustapha Dumbaya on loan from Sunderland and Doncaster as defensive cover because Cardiff informed Palace they weren't going to allow Keinan to renew his loan. It's not that Keinan has been injured, more the case that they didn't want to help their adversaries in the Carling Cup to rest players in the League between games by playing him. Harsh and very amusing.

So the Richard Foster deal will take place after the weekend and we have signed Pearson on a six monther after his contract canned at Derby if I read right.

Not sure where Foster fits in. LB? is McGivern going back to Man City? RB is he to replace Skuse et al there. Winger? to replace Alby?

Pearson, best not do a Tony Dinning. Is all Im saying

As the rumour mill goes into over drive

Iain Dowie has resigned from Sky Sports, to take a managers Job

Sean O Driscoll has apparently turned PNE down and is going to take the Bristol Rovers Job

It could still be the other way around though

• Paid Members

That's a bloody swizz. I forgot it meant Exeter.I did pretty well apart from that. Got within 8km of Norwich, that's my best one.It's not that accurate. Said I was 23km from the KC stadium. Bullshit!Messed up one go by accidentally double clicking and guessing Boundary Park was in the middle of the Engish Channel.Best score is 130,368. I was within 4km of Bramall Lane (I'd had that one before) and 2km of City Ground (first time it'd come up). Ooh.

Archived