Best masked man?

Jetta's G-string

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Masked Superstar was indeed class. Great worker and totally different in terms of character and promo delivery to how he was as Demolition Ax (where he was also a big intimidating guy who could work) which shows how versatile he was. Would like to see more of him at some point.

The Destroyer/Doctor X (Dick Beyer) is another one I know some people on here rate him very highly and I want to see more of.

I also enjoyed Kendo Nagasaki (the British one) and The Spoiler/Super Destroyer Don Jardine because both seemed to have the right balance of being big intimidating looking guys, having chemistry with their manager and cool-looking moves to show of their agility (Kamikaze Crash; rope-walking spot). Don't think I ever got the chance to see him but one of the guys my dad always talks about from the UK circuit is Doctor Death. Him and Nagasaki were the guys he and his friends liked watch when they were teenagers.

The Assassins were an absolutely brilliant gimmick because of the way you could replace the different members whenever one left and I really like watching their old matches.

In terms of more modern guys, then Mankind and Vader as well even if their masks did seem to come off half the time.

Really most of the non-luchador type masked guys seem to have been "back in the day". It isn't a gimmick that is used much nowadays and if it is the guy soon ends up losing it.

I did like Kane

Based on mask-wearing alone, it's Mankind for me. I definitely prefer the fucked-up, deranged kind of mask-wearer to the intimidating monster or the man of mystery types. I mean, I don't want to devalue the impact of the simple aesthetic in the cases of people like Vader, but in an ideal world I want the mask to be an honest part of the character's personality, not just a part of the performer's look.

Rey Mysterio

Also cant believe noones said his name yet - what about Jushin Liger?

We all know the mexican/japanese highflying masked men, but not including those,

And yes I will await the comment about Mysterio Jnr (for a start as well) being an American so therefore not Mexican....

Rey Mysterio

We all know the mexican/japanese highflying masked men, but not including those,

And yes I will await the comment about Mysterio Jnr (for a start as well) being an American so therefore not Mexican....

...and here it is!

well yes Jr. but most people know him as Rey Mysterio so yeah. I know theres his whole history and heritage of Mexico, and the fact that a lot of his experience came from there, but I do feel there is an argument that he could be the best high flyer who isn't Japanese or Mexican...and he's competed in the USA for more or less 15 years now so he may well be the most popular as well as 'best' high flyer :)

Rey Mysterio

Point taken. Blue Blazer then!

Archived