2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Wheras Ukraine and Sweden's defences are world beaters? Ok, going up against France he could be eaten alive, but right now England needs a player that can score goals and is powerful enough on the pitch while Rooney is suspended. Hearts, Hibs, Rangers are all Championship caliber teams at least and he has easily ripped them apart when he needs too (for example Hearts today) I've been saying it for a few months, what have England really got to lose at this stage. A manager nobody really expected, a team that is being blighted by injuries and suspensions before they've even set off and a lack of fan support at the games if newspaper reports are to be believed. They may as well take him, let him unleash a goal or two on Ukraine and Sweden and then if they make it through the group stages, use him as a sub when the big boys can take over and fuck it up.

Get fucked! Hibs are fucking awful. We still lost to them mind, but they're pure shite!

• Paid Members

I honestly think they've had a shit season, but the team itself is good and can play when they need too. I know the Scottish Cup really is no estimation of a good team based on some finalists in recent years but I still think they will pick up again next season and get back to how they're supposed to play for being one of the bigger clubs in Scotland.

• Paid Members

I really do fear for us next season. I have absolutely no faith in Craig Brown at all. We're going after Johnny Hayes but I severely doubt we will get him. I think the approach we have made is more for the press and to make it look like we appear to be trying. Hayes would do for a lower table Championship team as a squad filler. He would get much more money also.Kari Arnason has come out and said he wants to re-open negotiations and meet us half way. I think he's conceded that no one wants him after his form in the last half of the season. At this point, I wouldn't want him to stay either. At 29 going on 30, if his form doesn't pick up again, it will be such a waste of a lot of the wage budget!

More the case, he's never scored goals in a tier one league. He went straight from Scunthorpe to Celtic and bypassed the Premier League. He reminds me of Michael Chopra. He's not enough of one thing to be somebody England would look at and given he's not scoring in England (or Spain, Italy, France or Germany), he's not going to get a look in. If he was bigger and stronger or faster or more skillful, he'd be an option. Right now, he isn't, sadly.

• Paid Members

Well if the Southampton rumors are true, next season could be his proving ground, I really do hope he takes the chance to step up a league, if only to further my argument and because it means I can watch him on the days I can get down from Uni (only an hour away and Bath City are worse than Hereford so)

Jelavic is half a foot taller. I'm not saying I agree with it but you have to get into the mindset of these people; clubs who reject great young players for being too short but keep the big strong kid despite him being shit. It's why youth development is in such a state; the top clubs have created a league completely obsessed by athleticism.

• Paid Members

Jelavic is half a foot taller. I'm not saying I agree with it but you have to get into the mindset of these people; clubs who reject great young players for being too short but keep the big strong kid despite him being shit. It's why youth development is in such a state; the top clubs have created a league completely obsessed by athleticism.

Shaun Moloney was told as a kid by Aberdeen that he was too small for professional football. :crazy::duh:

• Paid Members

Shaun Moloney was told as a kid by Aberdeen that he was too small for professional football. :crazy::duh:
They've certainly forgotten about that mentality. Ryan Fraser is lucky if he's 5ft. Cove & Kincorth Academy legend. :p

• Paid Members

If Hooper was knocking in 5 against Rangers regularly, he'd probably get a look, but Hearts?Alan Thompson got his one and only cap because of that big UEFA Cup Final run Celtic had (they were on National TV every second week, so the selectors couldn't ignore him), and because England were struggling on the left. Friendly against Sweden wasn't it?

If Hooper was knocking in 5 against Rangers regularly, he'd probably get a look, but Hearts?

If things go as they appear it'll be more of an accomplishment to score five against Ross County than Rangers next season.

Well if the Southampton rumors are true, next season could be his proving ground, I really do hope he takes the chance to step up a league, if only to further my argument and because it means I can watch him on the days I can get down from Uni (only an hour away and Bath City are worse than Hereford so)

He said yesterday he wants to stay with Celtic and play in the Champions League.

• Paid Members

He said yesterday he wants to stay with Celtic and play in the Champions League.
A dreamer... A Scottish club will not make the proper Champions League for years to come!

Archived