Best WCW PPVs

Green

• Paid Members

So I've got a day off from doing any work today and I'd really like to watch some WCW PPVs as, despite watching Nitro and Thunder a lot while younger, I've never seen a WCW PPV in full. Are there any ones that are strongly recommended? Preferably ones after Bischoff took over but I'd be open to older suggestions too.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I've got a day off from doing any work today and I'd really like to watch some WCW PPVs as, despite watching Nitro and Thunder a lot while younger, I've never seen a WCW PPV in full. Are there any ones that are strongly recommended? Preferably ones after Bischoff took over but I'd be open to older suggestions too.

WrestleWar 92

Great American Bash 96

Spring Stampede 99

The obvious one from that period would be Spring Stampede 99, but Superbrawl '98 would also be a good shout.

If you want to go back a lot further, Spring Stampede 94 is great, as was Beach Blast 92 if you're interested in one before that.

I enjoyed pretty much most of them around 98 though (Fall brawl aside) and even back to 96 and 97. They were usually pretty fun and well balanced with plenty of variety.

Totally agree with the ones already posted - a lot of WCW ppvs were pretty lame .

A lot of the Bill Watts era are worth checking out such as Beach Blast 92, Starrcade 92 (featuring my fav Sting V Vader match) and SuperBrawl 3.

Spring Stampede 1997 is pretty good.

Starrcade '90 and Superbrawl III may never be topped in my mind. Both are just fantastic shows. Even with its bizarro main event, Starrcade '90 is just jam-packed with awesome, from the mentalness of the tag tourney (those Russians really didn't quite work out the whole "working" thing, did they?) to the thoroughly entertaining Skyscrapers squash to the fantastic Horsemen/Doom streetfight, all played out to my single favourite night of commentary EVER from Jim Ross and Paul E. Dangerously. GREAT show. Superbrawl III is fantastic too. Watts and Bagwell drag it down a little with the opener, but it's against the Blonds so it could be a lot worse. From there, with the exception of Davey Boy's debut, it's pretty much all killer. The SMW match is old school fun, the Cactus/Orndorff match is brutal (especially the suplex on to the rail), Muta/Windham is the most amazing ten minute headlock you will ever see and Vader/Sting is an absolute war (and perhaps the best match I've ever seen from Sting).

• Paid Members
Starrcade '90 may never be topped in my mind. Both are just fantastic shows. Even with its bizarro main event, Starrcade '90 is just jam-packed with awesome, from the mentalness of the tag tourney (those Russians really didn't quite work out the whole "working" thing, did they?) to the thoroughly entertaining Skyscrapers squash to the fantastic Horsemen/Doom streetfight, all played out to my single favourite night of commentary EVER from Jim Ross and Paul E. Dangerously. GREAT show.

THIS.

Jim Ross and Paul E are fantastic throughout. Ross even sneaks in a cheeky Mr Saito/McDonalds joke. :thumbsup:

Spring Stampede 99

Sin 2001

Superbrawl 2001

Greed 2001

Them PPVS are pretty much solid from top to bottom others i enjoyed greatlt were:

Slamboree 2000(Awesome vs Kanyon, Flair vs Douglas and the Triple Cage match all worth a watch)

Mayhem 2000(Sanders vs Kwee Wee, Dragons vs 3 Count vs Karagais and Noble, Insiders vs Perfect Event and Steiner vs Booker all solid)

Starrcade 2000( Everything except the US Title match and Storm vs Cat are worth a go)

• Paid Members

If you want to be entertained by unintentional awfulness I'd recommend Road Wild 98.

Barbarian vs Meng

Mongo vs Brian Adams

and Public Enemy vs Alex Wright & Disco which has one of the most ridiculously over-planned table spots of all time.

Great stuff. :thumbsup:

If you want to be entertained by unintentional awfulness I'd recommend Road Wild 98.

Barbarian vs Meng

Mongo vs Brian Adams

and Public Enemy vs Alex Wright & Disco which has one of the most ridiculously over-planned table spots of all time.

They used to always show a highlights vignette from that show on DSF, made it look like it was one of the greatest shows ever! still never got round to watching it though.

I'm a sucker for novelty arenas/sets though. I can even watch Bash at The Beach 95 from start to finish....

• Paid Members

Barbarian vs Meng

Mongo vs Brian Adams

They used to always show a highlights vignette from that show on DSF, made it look like it was one of the greatest shows ever! still never got round to watching it though.

I'm a sucker for novelty arenas/sets though. I can even watch Bash at The Beach 95 from start to finish....

In fairness it does have Jericho vs Juvi and Rey Mysterio vs Psicosis too.

It looks great in that setting but It's a well documented terrible idea that wasted millions of dollars.

Aye, i cherry picked some of the good sounding stuff like those two, Meng/Barbarian and the 3-way, i just wasn't brave enough to sit through it from beginning to end, considering some of the other stuff! Jericho/Juventud was good, Rey/Psicosis have had better.

I often used to feel a bit letdown with WCW cruisers on PPV. Not because their matches tended to be bad or anything, but they just set the bar so high by going balls out on weekly TV that there wasn't really much to get more excited about come PPV time. It wasn't a bad thing that there was so much good stuff from Nitro and Thunder, but in hindsight they probably could have held something back in the tank and been a bit clever about it.

• Paid Members
I enjoyed pretty much most of them around 98 though (Fall brawl aside) and even back to 96 and 97. They were usually pretty fun and well balanced with plenty of variety.

This is pretty much how I feel. 1996 and 1997 are slightly hit and miss overall, although I'd still watch everything from Great American Bash 96 onward for the nWo saga and Sting's character arc. If you want to get the full impact of Sting's transformation from surfer to crow, you can't miss Fall Brawl 96 for instance.

Halloween Havoc 95 is unmissable for comedy value.

Archived