Can't we all just get along?

The Great Muta

Hi there,

I haven't posted on here in a looooong time and to be quite honest I'm always concerned about any negative light it may shed on me. I do have a legitimate question to those who are interested however so I felt I should air it on here...

I've only been wrestling for about 18 months but in that short time that I have learnt that British wrestling is at war with itself! There are loads of promotions out there who are all working towards the same goal which is to expand and make money. Why is there no direction or no unity?

Back in the day the US had the old territory system which eventually was unified under the NWA. The NWA regulated the territories, pooled resources, and expanded. Is it too wild an idea to suggest that Britain could benefit from a similar system?

Just like the US we have promoters based over several regions which generally have one or two dominant promotions. While these companies could operate independantly they would be under the banner of this NWA model and work together.

The NWA model could be governed by an elected comittee who vote on any direction suggested by affiliated members.

I know this is a "pie in the sky" idea but at least some kind of annual promoters conference may be a good idea to encourage familiarity rather than the constant "cloak and dagger" tactics that are employed to keep opposition away!

Just something to think about...let me know if I'm talking shit :)

Cheers

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I've only been wrestling for about 18 months but in that short time that I have learnt that British wrestling is at war with itself! There are loads of promotions out there who are all working towards the same goal which is to expand and make money. Why is there no direction or no unity?

You just answered your own question. I doubt promoter "A" gives a fuck if promoter "B" is making money. They are out for themselves and fair play. There's so little money in British wrestling, I wouldnt want to work with some of the shitheads knocking about either.

The NWA model could be governed by an elected comittee who vote on any direction suggested by affiliated members.

And who would plow all his money into a promotion and let someone others, who probably have never run a successful promotion themselves, tell you what to do with your own promotion?

I agree with you hitman! But don't you think some sort of officially recognised group could eventually weed out the "shit heads"?

I'm just thinking that British wrestling is treading water, am I the only one who wants a drastic change in attitude?

I know it's all about making money, thats why they could operate independantly. I'm just suggesting that these promoters talk to each other (ok I'll change that) the promoters who want to improve British wrestling talk to each other. Help each other out for fuck sake! Who knows, you could even get big interpromotional events if it worked.

But thats just my opinion :)

I think that wrestling has changed too much for a massive union of promotions ever to work again, in Britain or in America for that matter.

Look at the early 80s, the style of wrestling promoted across America (your example, with the NWA) was largely very similar. And likewise, the promotions had similar ideals, i.e. to make money.

Look at the landscape today and you have some promoters with profit their aim, others wanting to provide a launchpad to the talent. You get some run largely to mix with the big names. You get a lot run by hobbyists. You have some that promote a violent product, others a family friendly one, others a sport-based one, and others a particularly comic one.

If a promoter of a successful,family-friendly show suddenly has a load of other guys telling him to put on hardcore matches and shoot promos, he's likely to get a little peeved. Likewise, if some promoter if running good, sell-out over-18s shows, who is the family-friendly guy to tell him to bring in the panto stuff?

But don't you think some sort of officially recognised group could eventually weed out the "shit heads"?

No, of course it wouldn't.

That's actually the one big thing the BWC said that they wouldn't do!

Actually I don't know that much about the BWC, could someone give me a summary?

I know that it has it's own syllabus for training and it's wanting to be a regulator of sorts but I'm not sure.

I haven't ever spoke to or even met Alex Shane yet (I understand it's his project) but I know that he has been successful in the past (I remember a King of Europe Tourney or something way back in the day where Dynamite Kid presented the winner with a trophy which I really enjoyed)

Do you think it could work?

• Paid Members

I said it before in the other "What do you think about British wrestling?" thread but there needs to be someone, unbiased, who can stop shitty little shows going ahead and shut down training schools from those who aren't fit to train others.

It's a case of cutting the wheat from the chaff or pruning a bush. The scene's going nowhere and won't go nowhere until that horrible, bottom rung is removed. The scenario of wrestler X is not happy how he's booked in promotion Y so he's going to start his own promotion needs to be gone. If you have a disagreement with a promotion and you want to leave, you leave. Don't spit your dummy out because you're being made to lose matches, someone has to and it's entertainment at the end of the day.

So there's another one, egos. I find there's a horrible slice of British wrestlers who have such a fuckin' ego despite being a performer the level of a pub act. Thankfully, this doesn't represent the whole of the UK scene as I have met some truly humble and kind performers, and some not so.

Back in the day the US had the old territory system which eventually was unified under the NWA. The NWA regulated the territories, pooled resources, and expanded. Is it too wild an idea to suggest that Britain could benefit from a similar system?

Yes.

The UK is tiny. It's probably half the size of any of the territories were back in the day.

Why is it always Wrestling companies that are expected to team up and make the business great. Isn't it just the same as saying why don't all the UK TV stations team up to make better TV shows or why don't all the supermarket companies team up and put all the shitty corner shops out of business.

It just won't happen every company does whatever's best for their business to keep it going and profitable while any that are not go under, isn't that the same for every type of business?

• Paid Members
Why is it always Wrestling companies that are expected to team up and make the business great. Isn't it just the same as saying why don't all the UK TV stations team up to make better TV shows or why don't all the supermarket companies team up and put all the shitty corner shops out of business.

It just won't happen every company does whatever's best for their business to keep it going and profitable while any that are not go under, isn't that the same for every type of business?

But by the same token, the UK does have superpowers in the shopping industry in the form say, Tesco. The wrestling industry doesn't have any promotion that stands head-and-shoulders above its competition, and won't unless the competition is reduce and confined to a better proportion of competition.

Unfortunately this will never happen, how can it? Everybody putting on shows thinks their ideas are right and EVERYONE would want to steer the ship....

If their was a brand that could be licensed out as such and each of the promoters still made their profit etc I could see it working but with everyone wanting to play the role of Vince McMahon/Paul Heyman it would never have any flow or continuity with the booking.

Love for it to happen and would happily help out but it sadly wont!

But by the same token, the UK does have superpowers in the shopping industry in the form say, Tesco. The wrestling industry doesn't have any promotion that stands head-and-shoulders above its competition, and won't unless the competition is reduce and confined to a better proportion of competition.

Yeah but did Tesco get big from several smaller companies working together or did it just grow on its own?

The likeness I often make is to pub singers or bands. I know people in that industry who get paid a pittance who say its because there are that many shit turns about that people dont bother paying cover charges to see bands or singers because they have seen that much shite over the years so in order to get booked they have to take smaller wages. Thing is, the good bands and singers cant drive the poor performers out as they have no right to as its all opinions at the end of the day. Clubs book shite turns cos they cant afford better ones and so the cycle continues.

Crap companies who charge

Archived