Sabu

Scorpion_Deathlock

I've been watching a ton of Sabu matches over the past few days after finding a massive collection of his on one of the torrent sites. I can remember back in '94 when I first read about Sabu in Power Slam and saving up a few pounds to buy some ECW tapes - I was blown away and genuinely thought he was the greatest wrestler in the world! Actually he's still one of my favourites to this day. So, what are your memories of Sabu? Best matches, etc.

I always felt very wary of his performances, like I was never quite convinced he was able to pull stuff off safely.

He's definitely one of the most risky performers I've ever watched. Exciting most of the time, but certainly one of the top guys to make me worry during a match!

I used to be a big fan, but he bothces a lot & most of his matches are samey & boring after a while. He's a decent mat wrestler, but most Promoters want him for hardcore / garbage style matches. He said that he's not bothered either way. If they want him to wrestle, he will. Respect for what he did in the 90s, but it's old-hat now.

• Paid Members

I hate him.

My abiding memory of him was when he faced Samoa Joe, probably at Lockdown because it was a cage match, for the X Division title. It was during Joe's initial run where he was playing the heel so Sabu was pitched as the face. Anyway, Joe's twatting him for pretty much the whole match so he decides, out of nowhere, to just pull out a blade and try and stab Joe in the face with it. CLASSIC BABYFACE TACTIC.

• Paid Members
I hate him.

My abiding memory of him was when he faced Samoa Joe, probably at Lockdown because it was a cage match, for the X Division title. It was during Joe's initial run where he was playing the heel so Sabu was pitched as the face. Anyway, Joe's twatting him for pretty much the whole match so he decides, out of nowhere, to just pull out a blade and try and stab Joe in the face with it. CLASSIC BABYFACE TACTIC.

I'm suprised this just didn't end the business all together.

I hate him.

Thats his gimmick though being hardcore/extreme

I've been watching a ton of Sabu matches over the past few days after finding a massive collection of his on one of the torrent sites. I can remember back in '94 when I first read about Sabu in Power Slam and saving up a few pounds to buy some ECW tapes - I was blown away and genuinely thought he was the greatest wrestler in the world! Actually he's still one of my favourites to this day. So, what are your memories of Sabu? Best matches, etc.

I felt the same as you, with Power Slam's predecessor Superstars of Wrestling. I saw his picture with the scars all over his body, and thought, wow, this guy is crazy.

The first time I actually saw him do a legdrop to the outside on a table was way too late, in 1999 - changed the way I thought about wrestling. I had to get as much of this ECW stuff as I could.

Today I found watching him very dated, because hardcore and all that has been and gone, and no longer surprises anybody. But I can understand why he was highly regarded back in the day.

I have mixed views about Sabu, most of which have already been said. He was a true innovator, a unique character and had a fantastic look. I also like how his whole character fitted together - he looked, acted and wrestled like a crazy maniac. I think this is something missing from mainstream wrestling today.

At the same time, he clearly was careless in the ring, both in terms of his own personal safety and that of his opponent. There have been more than a few times when I've seen him do things to people where it was only pure luck that nobody was seriously hurt. I've never seen him live but I think that might be harder than watching archive footage, where at least you know everyone concerned was ok in the end!

• Paid Members

one of my favorite wrestlerws of all time, without doubt.

Back in the day when i got into ECW (around 97-98) Sabu blew my f'n mind. He's one them guys that kind of blurs the line of kayfabe, the gimmick was outstanding, all mysterious and silent, he had the look and with all them scars it just made him have a mythic quality. I used to buy all the Best of Sabu comps and watch random shit from all kinds of weird promotions. In the ring he was innovator no doubt...the fact that he botched so many things actually made me like him more, his matches always had that element of danger about them, the botches weirdly fitted in with the risk-factor involved.

I followed him after ECW with his XPW run and all that stuff but i fell off when TNA came around and stuff. Since ive started watching ECW again recently ive started to love Sabu all over again, absolute maniac.

Archived