Women and Wrestling

Beckham's Right Foot

So the Mrs goes on this forum, NetMums, and a thread about the WWE appeared on the 'Most Discussed' list, which she thought I'd like to hear about.

Surprisingly, it's almost totally positive, with most of them expressing how much they love WWE, and one loving TNA/WCW, and commenting on how much they love going to live events, and want to go to WrestleMania.

Here's the thread...

Anyway, my Mrs doesn't necessarily like wrestling, despises TNA (it's rubbish, an opinion I agree with), but will watch anything featuring guys she finds attractive.

Does your Mrs like wrestling? Is she enthusiastic about it? Does she want to go to WrestleMania? Is she one of the women commenting on that thread?

• Paid Members

My wife watches wrestling if I put it on but don't think she would pick to watch it if not no more, Any MMA she watches and she loves most combat sports that they show on Euro-sport, We have been to UFC 4 times and loads of other MMA and Kickboxing shows around the UK, her and her family have a strong back ground in kick-boxing so I guess its just in her blood.

An odd comment in that thread:

A close relative of mine used to wrestle professionally, but that was in the days of proper wrestling, not staged.

Anyway, my girlfriend will tolerate wrestling occasionally. She comes to WWE shows when I go to them, but doesn't particularly enjoy them. She liked Triple H's work on the DX tour, and she likes when the baddies insult the locals. Apart from that, she's got pretty much no interest. I once caught her singing JeriShow's entrance music though. Oh, and she thinks Tough Enough is alright.

I think not nearly enough attention is made towards attracting female fans, they could be as big a market as male fans if wrestling was promoted correctly. There's far too much misogyny in wrestling for that to be the case though, and it has to be said that ECW was pretty much the genesis of that. Vince Russo clearly has deep rooted issues with women if the stuff with the TNA knockouts is down to him.

It was only 20 years ago that wrestling was being shown on a womens channel (Lifestyle) in this country.

• Moderators
It was only 20 years ago that wrestling was being shown on a womens channel (Lifestyle) in this country.

Aye, but on weekends. On weekends Lifestyle was more family than woman orientated. Showed stuff like Get Smart and the Rambo cartoon. Thinking back, there was a shitload of wrestling on Satellite telly 20 years ago.

I'm a girl who can't get her boyfriend interested in wrestling at all, so opposite problem for me. Took him to Universal Uproar years ago and try to get him to watch WWE but he just doesn't get the appeal. Fortunately he doesn't mind me going to shows on my own so that's what I do.

Mind you, we're trying to decide on a honeymoon destination at the moment and I'm trying to persuade him that Miami next April would be a good choice ;)

I'm a girl who can't get her boyfriend interested in wrestling at all, so opposite problem for me. Took him to Universal Uproar years ago and try to get him to watch WWE but he just doesn't get the appeal. Fortunately he doesn't mind me going to shows on my own so that's what I do.

Mind you, we're trying to decide on a honeymoon destination at the moment and I'm trying to persuade him that Miami next April would be a good choice ;)

Every coin has a flipside.....And yes, Miami in April is a fantastic destination for a honeymoon. He can bugger off to Miami Beach, do the tours etc, and you can go and do WM.

On a slightly different tack, I have many female friends and have tried to gently persuade them into wrestling. One I remember, she came over on a Monday night and we were talking, Sky box turned to Raw and she was enthralled by it. She didn't become a fan, buit she didn't dismiss it either. Women I think understand the soap opera aspect better than male non-fans and are normally more accomodating.

Archived