exeter wwf

wwffan2

I went to a WWF event at The Whitley Bay Ice-Rink around 1992/3. It had Bret Hart and Bam Bam in the main event. The Steiners were there too but it wasn't all good as The Bushwhackers were also on the same show. I remembering thinking that the show was pretty crap at the time as I entering the first stages of smarkdom after recently discovering Superstars of Wrestling magazine. In retrospect, it was probably the best wrestling show that I've ever seen in the North East of England, and certainly the best I've ever seen in Whitley Bay.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
They used to run quite a few smaller towns and cities, Peterborough was one I remember being on their itinerary. I think they may have come to Reading as well.

Yeah I noticed Peterborough back in the day, but sadly not since I've been old enough to take myself :\ I remember back then WWF would have several venues rather than just the big arena's they do now. Personally I'd love to see them drop a few smaller venues in, in fact I'd love to see them do a TV taping at a smaller venue, there just that something special about it.

The venue website claims a capacity of 6,000 for seating in the round, so it certainly would have been a viable venue given the popularity then.

I'd say WWF was more popular in the UK in 1993 that it is now.

I'd maybe agree with 1992, but I don't remember the popularity being all that great in 1993.

The line-up will have been something along these lines (there were two crews touring the UK then):

Typhoon defeated Damien Demento

Kamala defeated Kimchee

Yokozuna defeated Jim Duggan

Doink the Clown defeated Crush via count-out

Mr. Perfect defeated Lex Luger

The Nasty Boys fought the Headshrinkers to a double disqualification

WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels defeated Bob Backlund

The venue website claims a capacity of 6,000 for seating in the round, so it certainly would have been a viable venue given the popularity then. The same tour was doing places like Whitley Bay Ice Rink and the Brighton Centre.

I went to this show - went on a coach trip with Ticketline from Cardiff w/ my Dad and brother - that line-up above looks accurate.

I remember meeting Afa before the show and getting his autograph - it made my day!

I went to a WWF event at The Whitley Bay Ice-Rink around 1992/3. It had Bret Hart and Bam Bam in the main event. The Steiners were there too but it wasn't all good as The Bushwhackers were also on the same show. I remembering thinking that the show was pretty crap at the time as I entering the first stages of smarkdom after recently discovering Superstars of Wrestling magazine. In retrospect, it was probably the best wrestling show that I've ever seen in the North East of England, and certainly the best I've ever seen in Whitley Bay.

I was at that show too. Went to quite a few of their shows at Whitley Bay. Got some top stars there. Remember seeing Flair, Perfect, Steiners, Hitman, Undertaker. Cracking shows with a great atmosphere.

• Paid Members
I wish WWE would run some of the smaller venues over here again - even as matinees.

Me too because I can't be arsed to venture outside god's county to watch wrestling. Also, I have a kid to take now so I can just blend in with the bored looking Dad's instead of the sad, fat, too old to be watching wrestling brigade.

Guy next to me at the last Hull show was a fat smelly guy in jeans that smelt like a farm. Gives us a bad name, he does.

I seem to recall some smaller venues being used in the post WM10 tour in late March/early April 1994.

Although I attended the show in the Glasgow SECC, a reasonably sized arena, I recall large portions of the arena were curtained off. Perhaps the curtain went as far as around half the arena's tiered seating. (in recent times the only example of this I've seen at any show is TNA in Glasgow 2009/Manchester 2010.

Suppose the point is some of the smaller towns/cities like Exeter and Peterborough may have produced a decent profit for the Fed back in the less popular days, with lower costs than the half empty large arenas.

Suppose the point is some of the smaller towns/cities like Exeter and Peterborough may have produced a decent profit for the Fed back in the less popular days, with lower costs than the half empty large arenas.

Yeah, I agree but they ran Hull and Coventry in 2005 which are smaller venues than they usually run and they weren't in the same financial shape they were in in 1993 then. I would imagine they do yield great profit so it would make sense to run a few occassionally I reckon.

Aren't the Butlins arenas fairly small compared to what they normally run too?

Yeah, I agree but they ran Hull and Coventry in 2005 which are smaller venues than they usually run and they weren't in the same financial shape they were in in 1993 then. I would imagine they do yield great profit so it would make sense to run a few occassionally I reckon.

I'm sure they get a revenue on the rooms Butlins sell as part of the WWE weekenders the shows are part of.

They're 5 or 6 thousand, so not massive, but bigger than Hull and Coventry.

Archived