The Best Beadle?

IANdrewDiceClay

Who is truly the best Beadle?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Jeremy Beadle. He was pretty entertaining in his day. His shows would get into the 10 millions as far as viewership. Beadles about was a establishment on British TV in the late 80s and early 90s.

D53EB0EE-000E-5510-08B3A3935780E69C.jpg

Gary Beadle who played Paul Truman was also class. He was cooler than his Doctor of a brother, and found it much easlier to find female company than his brother as well (even going as far as to shag Kat, while his brother watched).

Gary%20Beadle%20Zani%202.jpg

Both are now dead as far as television goes. Paul got murdered by Goldie and Beadle died a few years ago. Chances are neither are going to make a comeback anytime soon. So who was better TV viewing?

Clearly it was Jeremy. Endless years of "Beadle's About" and "You've been Framed" back when it was groundbreaking to send in your own home videos of your mam falling in a puddle and have them shown on the telly. Plus his autobiography, "Watch Out!", endless copies of which could be purchased for less than a pound in branches of The Works across the country, and which revealed among other fascinating tidbits, that he once worked as a toilet cleaner. And he was the first man with Withered Hand Disease to get regular presenting gigs on primetime TV - a role model and an inspiration to the disfigured and the disabled.

Also, he tag-teamed with Sir Alan (now Lord) Sugar on Celebrity Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. Anyone in Baron Alan's posse is clearly a badass.

That lad who was moody in EastEnders for a bit doesn't even come close.

Haha, I was going to crack a Jeremy Beadle joke in the Beatles thread but decided against it. My fav Beadle has got to be the lovely Germany Beadle. I do the like the young black chap that was in Eastenders, however Germany's winning smile always did it for me. In all seriousness though, I read one of Charlie Brookers books a good few years back, where Charlie was talking about Jeremy Beadle's death. He pointed out that he was sort of a ridiculed figure before his death, but after he died we all sort of felt a bit sad, sad for basically ripping the pish out of him even though we liked him.

• Paid Members

Many years ago, I was fortunate enough to win tickets to a film premiere (Spun) and passes to the after-party, at which Gary Beadle scratched himself infront of everyone in the toilets and proclaimed he had an itch, thus making two Beadles I'd feel odd shaking hands with. With Gary I would've risked a disease, and with Jeremy...well, that's just sick. I mean, he's dead. Get the wrong arm and it would be like holding hands with a dead dwarf. Or Gary Coleman.

• Paid Members

For his work in Operation Good Guys, I'm plumping for Gary. This was a tough decision, given Jeremy's contribution to the record keeping of true crime, Jack the Ripper especially. And the term "Beadle Hands" for someone who is prone to dropping things.

It's easy forget just how popular Jeremy Beadle's programmes were. A 1992 episode of You've Been Framed drew 19.3 million viewers, making it the 13th most watched television programme of the 90s. And it was just a normal episode, not a Christmas special or anything.

Paul Trueman was one of my favourite Eastenders characters ever, along with Dirty Dan Sullivan. I remember reading in one of the papers when it was announced that Beadle had been axed, it was because he couldn't remember his lines and was holding up filming everyday. He was still class though, forever in the bookers, on the way to the bookers with paper tucked under his arm, smoking or in the pub drinking.

Gary, because even from beyond the 'grave' he gave us great entertainment in the form of giving his Dad a mental breakdown, wandering round Albert Square yelling 'You killed me Son, Andy Hunter' at every opportunity.

All Jeremy gave us from beyond the grave were a bunch of shit jokes about his lobster-like hand, and you had cunts texting you things like 'Someone stood up at Jeremy Beadle's funeral and said 'Give him a hand, because God didn't' for about 4 weeks after he died. Is that my mate texting me about going down the town? No, it's just another fucking Beadle joke I've heard about 50 times before. That shit got old fast.

You've Been Framed was alright though, I just got concerned that Jezza kept all your tapes. Was it for a cheeky baby-hand wank over some family calamity in a paddling pool? We'll never know.

But anyway, yeah, I voted for the cockney wideboy.

• Moderators

Gary Beadle's several bit parts in Rik Mayall comedies give him the edge here. And he was sired by Mr Trueman, who is also quality. I'll even forgive him shagging NORTH WALES' OWN Janine for that.

Archived