Miami

bigfoote

OK, since we know the time and place for WM28, thought I would start looking into potential for a holiday in Miami (hypothetically around Mania). Any advice, tips or just plain knowledge from the well-travelled and greatly knowledgeable UKFF???

EDIT: Kept this in Off Topic, it's only very tentatively linked to wrestling, much like the WWE *tumbleweed*

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I spent ten nights there last November. Can't wait to go back for Mania.

I will definitely be staying on Ocean Drive on South Beach again. The nightlife there is awesome and worth checking out. Lincoln Road is also buzzing round the clock.

There are plenty of tour groups over there but we booked in advance with these good folks. It is on a nice big air conditioned bus and includes a tour of South Beach (Miami Ink, Ocean Drive, Versace Mansion, Holocaust memorial, Scarface locations,) Star Island/Coco Beach(Just seeing swanky star homes really like Stallone, Shaq and the big ass house from Scarface) and Little Havana where you can buy some amazing coffee and enourmous cigars.

The Everglades bit is the highlight though. The one on this was an airboat ride (a lot closer to the water than I expected) that goes very slowly through the middle of a load of a wild Alligators (only little ones really - still pretty humbling. And the babies are really cool!). Then it kicks up a notch and goes at speed in right out into the open swamps. I never felt so isolated as when I was way out there. There were no man made structures in sight. If the engine had failed to start I really would have panicked. When we got back to land there was a wildlife show with some Steve Irwin style nutter. He had a 14 gator that had me a touch unsettled being so close to.

We did a tour the first time we went called the Duck Tour. It's on an amphibian bus which is cool for about 5 minutes when it drives off the road and into the sea. Other than that, avoid it.

The Dolphin Mall is pretty cool. Lots of designer outlets selling brand names reeeaaally cheap.

Lots of great places to eat and shop and plenty of nightlife. If I was going to move abroad I would go to Miami Beach.

Oh, be prepared for lots of war veterans hassling you for change and lots of smalltime rappers hard-selling their CD.

What flight companies would people recommend as far as being cheap goes?

Delta are cheap, but are also utter shit. Flew to Atlanta and back with them and I regret that decision very much. Pay the hundred or two extra and go with BA or Virgin.

Already forming a Miami-Orlando itinerary for next year

Fri - fly London-Miami

Sat - Hall of Fame

Sun - Wrestlemania

Mon - Everglades tour followed by Raw in the evening

Tue - Travel Miami-Orlando

Wed/Thu - Disney parks

Fri - Kennedy Space Center (unless there's a launch in which case we'll switch days)

Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue - Disney Parks

Wed - Universal

Thu - Universal Islands of Adventure

Fri - Sea World

Sat - fly home

REALLY looking forward to it... shame theres a year to wait!

Delta are cheap, but are also utter shit. Flew to Atlanta and back with them and I regret that decision very much. Pay the hundred or two extra and go with BA or Virgin.

What was so bad about it?

What was so bad about it?

The food - utterly awful. Airline food is never good but it's something edible that fills a gap. The food with Delta was, in my opinion, barely even edible. In particular they served up a "four cheese pizza slice" that was tooth-chippingly tough and tasted dreadful.

The seats - hardly any recline whatsoever and very firm, making sleep damn near impossible.

Legroom - nonexistent. There were big metal boxes underneath the seats nearest the window which meant you couldn't fully extend your leg nearest the window. Very uncomfortable on such a long flight.

The worst thing was the turbulence but this is beyond the control of the pilots. The only upside is that the food was so awful, I had nothing to throw up due to the turbulence...

I believe some other UKFFers were on the same flight, or the Delta flight a few minutes behind us. Perhaps they can offer their own experience of the flight to persuade/dissuade you from flying with them. I flew Continental last year and they were far better, yet still at the lower end of the price range.

Honestly, the food was pretty bad.

Though the pizza was ok!

THe conditions on board delta were a bit rubbish too, but, I can't really fault the flight too much. I'd use them again. The on plane entertainment was excellent. Any one else play Trivia? :p

Archived