Robert Roode

Loki

I've been a fan of Roode for years, since his Team Canada days, and have always felt he had what it takes to be a big star. But I've been really happy that he's stuck with Beer Money, as it's been such a hugely successful tag team and has helped re-establish (for me at least) the idea of a tag team that's a proper draw.

Is it time for him to break out as a main eventer though? He looks like the business right now, is obviously wrestling really well, and his mic work is some of the best in the company now. If TNA is ever going to produce a genuine main event star from its own ranks, he is surely the No. 1 pick.

Should TNA pull the trigger on him, or keep him in the undoubtedly great tag role? Could he both wrestle as a legit singles guy AND carry on tagging with Storm?

One of my mates called it two years ago that Robert Roode is a future singles main eventer and i feel that if it does not happen within the next year to two years i beleive it may never happen.

• Paid Members

Robert-Roode-tna-superstar-9.jpg

Look at him. He's money. Hense the name. Roode should be on a high six figure contract and selling merchandise by the shitload right now. He's got everything. I think he's awesome. He can wrestle, talk and he looks great. I hope if TNA do break him and Storm up, they'll do a better job than giving him the likes of Booker T and Eric Young to feud with and giving him Kryton as his valet like last time.

• Paid Members
Is it time for him to break out as a main eventer though? He looks like the business right now, is obviously wrestling really well, and his mic work is some of the best in the company now. If TNA is ever going to produce a genuine main event star from its own ranks, he is surely the No. 1 pick.

I dunno if this place has posts going back that far but I thought he was going to be a start pretty much the first time I saw him. Been well impressed with his development and the way he's carried himself recently.

Could he both wrestle as a legit singles guy AND carry on tagging with Storm?

I don't think so unless they put Storm on the same level as him, which I don't think he is.

Should TNA pull the trigger on him, or keep him in the undoubtedly great tag role?

I don't have any faith in them to pull the trigger on him. I think it's getting close to the time when they've got to or risk him missing the boat but I don't believe that they have the ability to take him to the next level. Would he be face or heel? For me, he's a natural heel but in Beer Money, he works great as a face. I can't decide which side of the fence he'd be best on.

I can see him in WWE eventually. He was asked the question of if he would ever want to work for WWE when he was on the Pro Wrestling Report radio show a year or so ago and he said that was his dream when growning up.

He is the whole package. Great look, great wrestler, good talker.

I cant see TNA doing the job properly, the writing and direction of the company have been terrible for a long while now and I personally would love to see him in the WWE and can see him making it in the main event there I am a massive fan but I too think he has the full package.

Easily the best wrestler in the world today to be beneath the main event level in any company. It'll be a complete travesty if he never achieves that bona fide main event status. Ian's got it right - he looks like a million dollars.

He'd play a perfect role as the old school heel in WWE's main event ranks. Give him the classic roll of dimes to the face behind the ref's back-finisher to complete the package. I think that the 'classic old school heel' gimmick is one thing missing at the top of WWE's card at the moment, and I couldn't think of a better wrestler to play the part than Roode.

He played the "enforcer" role for Team Canada, and so has always reminded me of Arn Anderson, and also Benoit to some extent, but let's be honest - he's more charismatic than both those guys. I blame Booker T entirely for the failure of his first singles run.

I know it's unlikely, but I'd really like to see him move into a singles run without splitting up the team. Both he and Storm would be good singles assets, and they could team up once in a while in tv main events.

That way, if and when their paths DO eventually cross in singles competition, it would mean something.

I'd feed Roode some name guys - Bully Ray first, after he's finished with Bubba. Then maybe Matt Hardy, and then RVD. That'd give him a good run of singles/feud victories. Then have some sort of tournament for the No 1 contenders slot, and have him win it, preferably with a victory over someone like Joe. At that point he'd be ready to have a PPV main event, and even if he loses to Sting or Anderson of Angle, his stock would have risen dramatically.

If you look at the duelling promos since Fourtune left Immortal, it seems clear that Roode is carrying a lot of the weight for Fourtune on the mic these days - a couple of times he's been the first one to interrupt Bischoff or Flair, and the fans seem to be taking note of this. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become the main man in Fourtune as it continues to become apparent he pisses on AJ and Kazarian in the charisma department.

Like others have said, I do think he has all the makings of a classic heel, and I think a major turn after a few months of the above (and once the Immortal storyline has died down a bit) could be the making of him. I have no doubt he has the ability to make it in the WWE, but whether they'd push him as such is another thing. It's all very well saying TNA can't make stars, but the WWE have a patchy (at best) record of the same thing over the last several years - as illustrated by the likes of Sheamus, Swagger and Wade Barrett, they seem to have a tendency to lose interest in pushing a wrestler very quickly if the fans don't immediately take to them. I'd rather see him continue to be an integral and highly entertaining part of TNA than become an underused also-ran in the WWE like Christian has (and he was one of my favourite things in wrestling while he was TNA).

EDIT: I'd also like to see him get a new finisher for any potential singles run. I think his first singles run suffered from being stuck with the Perfectplex, and while his version of the spinebuster has a great snap to it, it screams 'mid-match spot'.

If TNA decided to pull the trigger and give him a true singles push to the main event, I think that it would only be logical to have him as a babyface as the TNA fans would naturally warm to the ascension of one of their 'home-grown' stars.

If a slow-burning rise to the top was played out well, it could end in one of the best feel-good endings in TNA history as Roode finally lifts the World title on PPV.

After Roode spent a few months at the top of the card solidifying his status, James Storm could turn on him and they could take it down the "wrestler jealous of former tag partner's success" route, with the vision of elevating Storm to the main event level as a heel.

Certainly an interesting one. He could be pushed as a TNA original wading through the top guys that are short time ex-WWE guys, its pretty much the role AJ Styles has had for a long time already, but its not exclusive to AJ and a fresh face at the top would be welcomed if he was as talented and over as Roode is. Unfortunately a hurdle to overcome maybe TNA's A.D.D. booking, he'd need a solid push in one direction not to be turned heel or face every 6 months, a similar situation that has done The Pope a disservice.

Also I'd hate to see Beer Money split up and feud, its so shit when that happens and doesn't do much good for either guy, the majority of the time. I'd prefer to see James Storm encourage Roode and back him up on occasion whilst going his own way, that way the Beer Money fans will stay behind Roode especially if he keeps the character he has now. Push him as a guy the fans know and support and it'd work better in my opinion.

Does anybody else think that he has a bit of a Curt Hennig look about him?

If he debuted for WWE and the first we saw of him coming to the ring was looking like this, he'd instantly stand out:

robertroode.jpg

Nobody could moan about a WWE main event bracket consisting of Alberto Del Rio, Robert Roode, Sin Cara and Dolph Ziggler in addition to the younger guys at the top such as Miz, Punk, Cena and Orton.

Archived