Robert Roode

Loki

A year ago I wouldn't of said so. But chancing apon last weeks Impact when he told Flair to shut up (which is gold face heat, as far as I'm concerned) made me look at him in a new light. He certainly has the look McMahon favours and he isn't a "internet darling" so he may avoid the "needs to learn to work" label.

Personally, I completely buy his spinebuster finish, he hits is as well as anyone since AA. It's better than the fisherman's suplex, though I'm glad he still uses that during matches.

I believe he's worked the odd WWE dark match back in the day, so he must be on their radar. He's 34 as well, so if he's going to go to WWE, it should be in the next few years. Put it this way, Benoit was 33 when he went north.

• Paid Members
I didn't realise he ever used the Fisherman's suplex, that's how sporadically I've watched over the past few years. I couldn't actually think of a more fitting finisher for him than that actually.

Yeah, he started using it to replace his old Northern Lariat (which in itself isn't a bad finisher, but it works more with a Japanese crowd than an American one), it was called "The Payoff". Unfortunately, lacked a lot of impact; the whole point about the Fisherman's Suplex/Perfectplex is the fact that it's been hyped up as inescapable, and is executed by a consummate mat technician. Because those were qualities not focused on in Roode's case, it didn't have that meaning behind it, and looked lame.

Personally, I completely buy his spinebuster finish, he hits is as well as anyone since AA. It's better than the fisherman's suplex, though I'm glad he still uses that during matches.

I agree, and I love that they call it the "Double R Spinebuster" - cements him in his role as an Arn-type Horseman, although, of course, I hope he wins more World titles.

Put it this way, Benoit was 33 when he went north.

And 40 when he went south.

He's definitely the one guy that I can't believe the WWE haven't snapped up yet. He looks the business, he can talk and has the ring skill to back it up.

If he's ever going to make the leap to the WWE. It needs to happen soon-ish. At 34 time is indeed ticking.

• Paid Members

Powerslam always gave Bobby guff about his hair too, but I thought it really complimented his look. I've loved Roode in all his personas, even the Eric Young angle was tolerable in some aspects, his mic work began to develop in that feud; and Beer Money was just a runaway sucess that even TNA didn't manage to fuck up.

• Moderators

I used to have a little stiffy for Bobby Roode, then I saw how fucking awesome a face he was in 2009 and shit, that's his calling. He's a great look, great promo, great face comebacks. Then it became a 10 inch bonk on.

He's Vince's wet dream. In a year or two have Storm turn on him and put a rocket on Roode's back, for he is fucking money.

Actually if i was booking TNA now, i would run another iMPACT on the road special and chuck a feast or fired match in with Storm winning the TV title shot and Roode win the heavyweight championship shot, then go for a Benoit/Guerrero moment at WM 20 with Roode and Storm at Bound For Glory. Find a way to drop the tag titles onto Ink Inc too.

But Robert Fucking Roode is a completely untapped Goldmine and as long as Beer Money stay in business too you've got a very over tag team who can pick the belts up if needed, Storm a good singles wrestler and Roode who could well be TNA's next gold son as IMO AJ Styles needs some help/a break to come back refreshed.

One of the good things about the Hogoff era is their insistence that wrestlers actually have a persona and a gimmick. As a result of this, I feel Styles has become a little exposed in his limitations, where Roode has thrived. Roode makes wrestling look like a serious business for serious men, I like that.

• Paid Members

Ive wanted WWE to sort their Tag division out for yonks now (not just 1 or 2 token teams, surrounded by shite) but a solid division worthy of Titles, once that happens, my next thought was that it would be a mint swoop to go for Beer Money.

Keep them together in WWE for a year or so and the, yeah... Roode could rock the house.

Its a shame the prior hasn't really happened and that like someone above has said, his top flite singles run needs to start sooner rather than later. Whatever it is that shouts 'star' he has it.

On the powerslam thing: Its brilliant, a wrestler comes along who is well respected by his peers and management (it would seem), he is loved by the fans (or respectively boo'd) at shows and the majority of the internet think he's quality... he has the look, the ability, the mic skills, the lot. Powerslam need to resort to giving him shite about his hair... fuck off poweslam, nob

• Paid Members
One of the good things about the Hogoff era is their insistence that wrestlers actually have a persona and a gimmick. As a result of this, I feel Styles has become a little exposed in his limitations, where Roode has thrived. Roode makes wrestling look like a serious business for serious men, I like that.

I disagree, I think Styles been great since Hogoff came in. He made the Fortune/'They' fuck up seem plausible with a great promo and is a solid promo now. Kaz is the biggest suprise though.

• Awards Moderator

I believe he's worked the odd WWE dark match back in the day, so he must be on their radar. He's 34 as well, so if he's going to go to WWE, it should be in the next few years. Put it this way, Benoit was 33 when he went north.

He used to be a semi-regular enhancement guy on WWE shows like Metal and Stevie Night Heat - I certainly remember seeing him on WWE TV before Team Canada turned up in TNA. Bobby Roode was one of that elite band of 'local' jobbers who got their names announced properly, like Chad Collyer and Arch Kincaid.

I echo Kaz Hayashi's post - I'd like Roode to be in WWE, but the best way to bring him in is to bring him in with Storm. Beer Money in WWE would not only give the tag division a kick up the arse, they could be used as heels against top singles faces (for instance, they pick on Edge, and you've got three months of PPV matches - Edge vs. Storm, Edge vs. Roode, Edge & partner vs. Beer Money) or as faces against singles heels (i.e. ADR and Brodus beat up Storm, so we have ADR vs. Roode, ADR & Brodus vs. Beer Money, and finally ADR vs. Storm). I maintain there's no reason why tag teams can't be main eventers as well as singles stars - along the lines of Rated RKO or Jerishow.

With the WWE machine behind them, Beer Money could sell a shitload of merch, and would have the safety net/opportunity of getting over as a unit before an inevitable split a year or two down the road. Roode could then head on to the main events with a more developed sense of WWEness, and Storm could slot in quite comfortably in the midcard - his singles run in 2006(?) showed he had personality as a singles guy too.

I'd hate Beer Money to be split up in TNA - I have no confidence they could start a Roode singles push without fucking it up. And how much does being a main eventer in TNA really mean, anyway? You'll just get shafted next time a big former WWE name becomes available.

Powerslam always gave Bobby guff about his hair too, but I thought it really complimented his look. I've loved Roode in all his personas, even the Eric Young angle was tolerable in some aspects, his mic work began to develop in that feud; and Beer Money was just a runaway sucess that even TNA didn't manage to fuck up.

I'm not so sure you know, the heel turn for no reason of early 2010 was one of the most horrid things I've ever seen. I personally don't feel like they'll ever reach the heights set before that. A monsterously successful gimmick before that.

On-Topic, I've got a stiffy for Robert Roode too. I loved his gimmick before Beer Money of abusive rich chap with Traci, and agree that he also made the best of some rotten situations with Booker T and Eric Young. However, I really saw the true greatness in him when Kevin Nash mentioned how awesome his babyface comebacks were in a shoot interview. I started looking out for it, and he's spot on. Roode in principal is a natural heel, but in the ring when he's getting beat up, he's got a real Bret Hart quality for symapthetic and hard-working comebacks.

Like AJ Styles, he's the sort you'd love to see make the jump just to see what happens with his character/in-ring stuff, but at the same time, it would probably be such a jump from what we're used to, it just wouldn't be the same. Would I rather see him under his monkier of Thraxton Donahoe on NXT Season 8 or as the big fish in the small pond that he currently is?

Actually, no fuck it, he's gone as far as he can in TNA, I want to see him signed up in the WWE too.

Archived