Kurt Angle stars in River of Darkness

Tim R-T-C

Nash%20Darkness.jpeg

Like a lot of people I imagine, I was suckered into buying this by the rather elaborate UK DVD art with a wall of flames engulfing boats and helicopters while Kurt wields a shotgun - as you can probably imagine, none of this was in the film at all. It is about a Sheriff (Kurt Angle) in a small Southern US town, investigating a series of brutal killings that locals are blaming on three lynched brothers back from the grave for revenge.

Instead what we get is a 1980s style slasher movie with a shot on video look that makes it look like the sort of film you would find in a three-film-pack from Poundland. The script is completely unambitious with no attempts to do anything different or original at all. Kurt Angle just seems completely mis-cast, most wrestlers make their early film appearances in action roles and only later move onto serious acting, but Angle's sheriff character has no action at all and his wooden acting combined with the dull script makes his casting completely wasted. Kevin Nash and Psycho Sid (seriously of all people why Sid? He has been off the scene for over a decade) play the zombie-like killers, easily recognisable under the make-up, but just rather unnecessary, the parts could readily have been played by stunt-men.

Were it not for the wrestlers, I doubt this film would exist but no doubt it will make enough money for the director's next two projects (both featuring Mr Angle) to get released just from people buying it having seen the wrestler's names on the cover and I imagine a lot of wrestling fans will want to pick this up, but just take this as a warning not to expect too much, or indeed anything at all.

I have given the film a complete grilling along with pictures on my film review site - River of Darkness review.

Ive got it in the house and i still have yet to watch it. I don't expect award winning acting but i hope it will be enjoyable nonetheless.

Nash%20Darkness.jpeg

Like a lot of people I imagine, I was suckered into buying this by the rather elaborate UK DVD art with a wall of flames engulfing boats and helicopters while Kurt wields a shotgun - as you can probably imagine, none of this was in the film at all. It is about a Sheriff (Kurt Angle) in a small Southern US town, investigating a series of brutal killings that locals are blaming on three lynched brothers back from the grave for revenge.

Instead what we get is a 1980s style slasher movie with a shot on video look that makes it look like the sort of film you would find in a three-film-pack from Poundland. The script is completely unambitious with no attempts to do anything different or original at all. Kurt Angle just seems completely mis-cast, most wrestlers make their early film appearances in action roles and only later move onto serious acting, but Angle's sheriff character has no action at all and his wooden acting combined with the dull script makes his casting completely wasted. Kevin Nash and Psycho Sid (seriously of all people why Sid? He has been off the scene for over a decade) play the zombie-like killers, easily recognisable under the make-up, but just rather unnecessary, the parts could readily have been played by stunt-men.

Were it not for the wrestlers, I doubt this film would exist but no doubt it will make enough money for the director's next two projects (both featuring Mr Angle) to get released just from people buying it having seen the wrestler's names on the cover and I imagine a lot of wrestling fans will want to pick this up, but just take this as a warning not to expect too much, or indeed anything at all.

I have given the film a complete grilling along with pictures on my film review site - River of Darkness review.

When did Mark Kermode join the UKFF?

• Paid Members
He's already told us before. He hates the blacks, and if he had the chance he'd make Jesus tap out.

I heard quite the opposite....

Archived