Time for phone upgrade

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Ladies and gents,

Just been on the phone to vodafone, I'm due an upgrade and don't have a clue what to get. Currently got an iPhone due to it being a passdown from the mrs. But Im not sure what get next, I like the whole sync up between my iPhone and my iMac/iTunes. I love the notes section, the voice recorder, Internet functionality and the mp3 player.

With it being a 3G the camera is quite shit, the signal seems a bit cranky when in the house (same sim was spot on in different handset)

Do any other new phones work as well as an iPhone in this field?

I was offered a htc desire, iv looked at reviews and people seem to think it's canny spesh, any of you have one? What's it's crack compared to an iPhone 3G?

Please suggest other phones too if you wish, hopefully the above will give you an idea about what I want. I'm only wanting to pay

• Paid Members

Don't get an Android phone, there's a critical SMS flaw in the operating system that has been rife for months, and Google are seemingly very lax to patch such a severe flaw as nothing had been done when I last checked earlier this month.

Depends if you're wanting a smart phone, or just a phone (with no bells and whistles). If the former, you can't go wrong with the iPhone.

Don't get an Android phone, there's a critical SMS flaw in the operating system that has been rife for months, and Google are seemingly very lax to patch such a severe flaw as nothing had been done when I last checked earlier this month.

Depends if you're wanting a smart phone, or just a phone (with no bells and whistles). If the former, you can't go wrong with the iPhone.

Whats the flaw? I've noticed nothing.

HTC Desire is a great phone, have it myself. Actually hardly use my laptop now thanks to it and the Kindle app is fantastic for sitting on buses or trains.

• Paid Members

ive done a bit of review reading on the iphone 4 (compared to 3g) and the ever so slight majority are claiming that the iphone 4 is a bit of a let down in terms of being a superior upgrade.

In terms of 'bells and whistles',

* my main wants from a phone is decent mp3 player (and memory of at least 8gb),

* easy data transfer with Mac OS and windows 7 OS(one thing i personally think the iphone 3 is very good at, in terms of storing/restoring/transfering data),

* decent voice recording software (or the ability of a decent free app)

* an upgrade in camera would be nice considering the iphone 3 is only what, 2gb?

* something similar to the 3g in terms of web browsing

* im not that bothered about additional apps and games really, GPS would be nice though.

I 'think' the HTC desire covers the above, can you confirm that for me FUM or vanhalen?

Bristep - i think the iphone 4 might just be out of my range, and if the reviews ive read are anything to go by, the 3G isnt that much worse is it?

Khem, ta for the heads up on the android crack, ive no idea what the difference is between an iphone 3 and an 'android' is the iphone classed as android?

• Paid Members
Khem, ta for the heads up on the android crack, ive no idea what the difference is between an iphone 3 and an 'android' is the iphone classed as android?

No, Android's a different operating system. It's to the iPhone as Windows is to Mac OS X. Android's the mobile OS developed by Google.

The aforementioned SMS flaw is this one: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/android...-contacts/10796

I'm due an upgrade but because I'm a pinko leftie commie bastard ponce, my next phone will be a "Conflict free" one, or as close as possible, regardless of which model and features it has. The shit going on in Congo over minerals is scary. If it wasn't Black Africa then it would have been sorted years ago.

Sorry.

Wait a couple of months, market is about to be flooded with new duel core phones

• Paid Members
What in the fuck does that mean?

Ha, sorry, but that sounds as technical as the options on a modern electric razor. If you don't mind mate, can you give a brief run down on what a dual hard core mobile phone is?

Ta

Basically two processors, which theoretically means can do twice as much in the same amount of time.

No, Android's a different operating system. It's to the iPhone as Windows is to Mac OS X. Android's the mobile OS developed by Google.

The aforementioned SMS flaw is this one: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/android...-contacts/10796

Can't say I've ever had that problem mate.

• Paid Members
ive done a bit of review reading on the iphone 4 (compared to 3g) and the ever so slight majority are claiming that the iphone 4 is a bit of a let down in terms of being a superior upgrade.

In terms of 'bells and whistles',

* my main wants from a phone is decent mp3 player (and memory of at least 8gb),

* easy data transfer with Mac OS and windows 7 OS(one thing i personally think the iphone 3 is very good at, in terms of storing/restoring/transfering data),

* decent voice recording software (or the ability of a decent free app)

* an upgrade in camera would be nice considering the iphone 3 is only what, 2gb?

* something similar to the 3g in terms of web browsing

* im not that bothered about additional apps and games really, GPS would be nice though.

I 'think' the HTC desire covers the above, can you confirm that for me FUM or vanhalen?

Bristep - i think the iphone 4 might just be out of my range, and if the reviews ive read are anything to go by, the 3G isnt that much worse is it?

You should consider the Samsung Omnia 7.

samsung-omnia-7.jpg

It's a Windows Phone 7 handset which is relatively new but it's an absolute joy to use.

It has excellent mp3 playback capabilities and its headphones are far superior to iPhone/iPod ones and almost as good as Sennheiser headphones. It's also extremely easy to transfer music via Zune software (an iTunes equivalent of sorts) but it's far more user friendly and a whole less clunky than its Apple counterpart. Not only can you download tons of music through Zune, you can also stream music too, and this can work both on your handset and whatever you've got the Zune software installed on (the subscription is about

Archived