The APA

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The APA were ace back in the day. Round about 2000 in general was a great time for tag teams that'll probably not be replicated for sometime now. Aside from your big three of Edge & Chrsitian, the Dudleys and Hardys, you had these powerhouses and also guys like Too Cool and one of the DX incarnations. The APA weren't always in the title hunt but it didn't matter, they were just there kicking ass and getting into loads of skirmishes backstage. A real fun part of the product, but more importantly they actually looked like legitamtely bastards who would give you the mother of all beatdowns in real life. Not many stars in WWE today have that aura about them.

I forget the date, but I'm pretty sure it was an episode of Heat in 2000. It was the APA vs Kai En Tai, and APA beat them within about a minute. Taka then gets on the microphone and challenges them to a rematch (Intentionally poor dubbing and all) and the APA just fuck them up again. So Take challenges them again and they squash them again. Brilliance.

The APA were ace back in the day. Riound about 2000 in general was a grea time for tag teams that'll probably not be replicated for sometime now. Aside from your big three of Edge & Chrsitian, thev Dudleys and Hardys, you had these powerhouses. They weren't always in the title hunt but it didn't matter, they were just there kicking ass and getting into loads of skirmishes backstage.

I forget the date, but I'm pretty sure it was an episode of Heat in 2000. It was the APA vs Kai En Tai, and APA beat them within about a minute. Taka then gets on the microphone and challenges them to a rematch (Intentionally poor dubbing and all) and the APA just fuck them up again. So Take challenges them again and they squash them again. Brilliance.

I think we need a new powerhouse tag team in the WWE today. I remember thinking Skip Sheffield and David Otunga would've made for a good APA style duo where they may not always challenge for titles but they just generally kick ass and have a good time.

Skip and Husky would be better

• Paid Members
I know there must be a bunch of people round here who loved the APA, especially their awesome entrance music

Yep, I love it. That was my favourite then; wrestling music that I'd be happy to listen to in the car.

Still, they've gotta get their fair share of criticism for their slogan "Always Pounding Ass".

I can't find an image of it, but I used to have a t-shirt with their logo on the front and that awful, cringe-inducing phrase on the back. I'm so glad I lived abroad at the time and so avoided the taunting and facial rearrangement that it would have caused me had I donned it on a trip to the pub in Leicester.

• Paid Members

The theme music was awesome. From the moment it kicks in, it reeks of badness, queue the APA stomping down the ramp. Always enjoyed their stuff, they were crazy over too.

Plus this shirt always made me smile.

a20792a12da58bda085b4a_m.JPG

• Moderators

I've asked this before but dammit, any excuse to ask it again.

One time the APA were feuding with The World's Greatest Tag Team and Shelton and Charlie were in the ring and cut a promo where they sang a song the refrain of which was "the APA is crap". I remember it bombing more spectacularly than any segment I'd ever seen. It was so cringeworthy; I'd love to see it again.

Can anyone find it???

More on topic - that bar room brawl was fantastic! I forgot all about that..

• Paid Members
:laugh: Always check your links, Gladstone.

Oops. Shitty fucking laptop.

and I hate to tell you this but the bar room brawl was Vengeance 2003 :laugh:

Bah, tell it to some cock called VampirePoet on YouTube, you meanie.

Haha, i remember those 3 matches with Kaientai well, it was funny, especially with the way Taka and Funaki sold being half dead.

When did they actually become the APA, as i'm thinking back and i really can't remember a single event/moment that turned them from a couple of weirdo's managed by the Jackal and then the Ministry, into a couple of 'normal' beer swilling brawlers - they just seemed to gradually morph into a new persona. I'm sure even after they became the APA and had the skits on Heat with card games and guys coming through the door frame, they were still wearing their 1997 attires with weird looking pentagram symbols or whatever it was.

Haha, i remember those 3 matches with Kaientai well, it was funny, especially with the way Taka and Funaki sold being half dead.

When did they actually become the APA, as i'm thinking back and i really can't remember a single event/moment that turned them from a couple of weirdo's managed by the Jackal and then the Ministry, into a couple of 'normal' beer swilling brawlers - they just seemed to gradually morph into a new persona. I'm sure even after they became the APA and had the skits on Heat with card games and guys coming through the door frame, they were still wearing their 1997 attires with weird looking pentagram symbols or whatever it was.

It would have been late 1998 at the earliest the attires were from, and for some reason they kept on wearing the tights until late 2001.

It would have been late 1998 at the earliest the attires were from, and for some reason they kept on wearing the tights until late 2001.

Never realised it was that late, for some reason i always associated them with that gimmick Kurrgan had with the iron claw around Rumble 98 time. Probably because of the entrance theme. I always remember Bradshaw murdering jobbers with tiger suplexes back in those days.

Can't really think of much in the way of memorable matches, they weren't really that kind of team - but i did love their Fully Loaded 99 match with the Hardys & Hayes.

Never realised it was that late, for some reason i always associated them with that gimmick Kurrgan had with the iron claw around Rumble 98 time. Probably because of the entrance theme. I always remember Bradshaw murdering jobbers with tiger suplexes back in those days.

Can't really think of much in the way of memorable matches, they weren't really that kind of team - but i did love their Fully Loaded 99 match with the Hardys & Hayes.

Bradshaw's pre match promo and their match with Edge and Christian at Fully Loaded 2000 was awesome. Bradshaw's old squash matches from 1996- 1998 on Superstars and Shotgun are always worth a watch, I think he was very underrated.

Archived