Edge

Vice

I was very excited by Edge's return at last year's Rumble. He went on to have a cracking match against Jericho at Wrestlemania 26 - one that (and I'll possibly catch a lot of flack for this) I rate above Taker vs. Michaels. But it was an anomaly; I honestly can't say that I really enjoyed any other Edge matches throughout 2010, off the top of my head. So, nearly the entire year seemed pretty lackluster for him, especially his babyface run that was so shoddy it became the actual basis for him turning heel again.

In the last few months, though, I've found Edge engaging and highly entertaining - and neither he's neither cringeworthy or bombing as a babyface! He's been consistently pulling out at least decent matches, and the bout with Ziggler at this year's Rumble was tremendous. Do you agree or disagree that Edge has stepped it up lately and seems to be a lot more motivated this year so far?

He was terrible all of last year, I don't think he had one good match. His January to April face run was cringe worthy, I didn't think much at all of him as a heel on Raw in the summer, and he ended the year on Smackdown again doing that awful "comedy" run with Kane and Paul Bearer. He looked like he put on a lot of weight as well last year, and I don't think he changed his tights all year either. Since I gave Smackdown another go again in January because I wanted to be able to get into The Royal Rumble, I thought that he had improved abit. He is nothing near as good as he was from 2005- 2008 though, and with the rumors going around that he will be packing it in next year, I guess he just can't be arsed anymore.

• Paid Members
and with the rumors going around that he will be packing it in next year, I guess he just can't be arsed anymore.

Or he might be fucking knackered and worried something else will snap, this time for good?

He's put a good shift in. So what if it's nearly time. His matches with Ziggler were very good, and if Dolph does make it as genuine top liner, I'll look back and say Edge walked him through his first main events with aplomb. Yeah, he isn't what he once was perhaps, but what "established" top guy is?

He's slowed down a lot since his peak, and why shouldn't he have? He was one of the top characters and in-ring performers for much of the latter half of the past decade (in fact most of the past decade) and is now in the twilight of his career. I've been guilty of saying how he's not as good as he used to be etc, but the guy's clearly having fun out there and is as over as anyone on the roster. His position on the roster reminds me of Mysterio's, where they work a 'legend-lite' style for lack of a better term. They come out each week and get as big a reaction and sell as much merch as anyone, but don't have to go out and give it 110% anymore. They've had their heydays and can work any position on the card and have a run with the title when needed. WWE will certainly be a worse off a place without Edge, but by that time I'm pretty sure that we'll be safe in the hands of the 'new schoolers', Del Rio, Barrett, Ziggler et al.

I will forever remember Edge as being the first guy who brought out the best in Cena. He played the role as the Rated-R Superstar alongside Lita superbly, which was one of the best characters of wrestling in recent times when it was at its peak. His cashing in of the MITB briefcase on Cena at New Year's Resolution had to rank within the top 50 moments of the last decade (doesn't sound too impressive, but there was a ton of shit that's gone down since '00/'01). I've also got to agree with what's already been said in here that if Ziggler does make it big time then Edge will be the guy who'll be remembered as giving Dolph his first rub at main event level.

• Paid Members

He really seems to have taken things up a notch, particularly since the turn of the year and in the recent run up to Wrestlemania. Good on him, I've always liked him whether he's played a heel or face role. He's had an obscene amount of title reigns, but then the titles often get passed around too much these days and it's not like he doesn't deserve at least a good few of those reigns. If he is hanging up the boots within the next year or so, good luck to him, he's served the WWE incredibly well.

• Paid Members

I just don't like him as a face. I also think a lot of his good matches this year that have involved Ziggler are because Ziggler is in them.

It probably works both ways though. Edge has been there done it and worn the T-Shirt so is probably giving Ziggler some great advice and really helping him out. On the other side Ziggler has been selling the spear and other moves from Edge like he has been shot. This is making Edge look a hell of a lot better. Some of the spear bumps he has taken look brutal and make Edge's finisher look deadly. Over the last year before the Ziggler feud i was hating the Spear. I mean Look at Rhino's spear and then Edge's i know they are completly different sizes but Rhino's looks like he has just killed you.

I don't think Edge has got a lot left in him. He has given Ziggler some main event rub but Ziggler has made him look great in the process. Del Rio is going to make him tap out at Wrestlemania and becoem the champion not sure where Edge goes from there.

He has had a good career though I Loved the R.V.D, Cena feuds the most and he has been a great heel. 13 time champion has nothing left to prove this might be his last year in wrestling.

He was definately very average and stale through the middle of last year, but since turning back face he has been much better. I think the turning point in terms of quality of matches for me was when he faced Swagger in that impromptu match at Hell in a Cell, for a match with no build it was really good. Since then i've enjoyed most of his stuff, especially his matches against Ziggler. His character seems less forced and the crowd are on his side more too

• Paid Members

Normally I hate finishers that look shit, like the FU/Attitude Adjustment when Cena doesn't drop with it, but for some reason I've always loved Edge's Running Hug Of Doom. It just works for him, although I still preferred the Edgecution, which I always thought looked like a good, snappy finish.

What's with the hate for his tights, though? The whole red and black with the lines and the star, I think it looks the business.

• Paid Members
Normally I hate finishers that look shit, like the FU/Attitude Adjustment when Cena doesn't drop with it, but for some reason I've always loved Edge's Running Hug Of Doom. It just works for him, although I still preferred the Edgecution, which I always thought looked like a good, snappy finish.

What's with the hate for his tights, though? The whole red and black with the lines and the star, I think it looks the business.

Edgecution was a much better finisher i think for him. The running hug of doom as you would call it just doesn't look hard enough a lot of the time. The Three Spears on the outside of the ring he did to Ziggler looked good but Ziggler bumped them like a hero. I suppose it always depends on who's taking them.

• Paid Members

Edgecution was a much better finisher i think for him. The running hug of doom as you would call it just doesn't look hard enough a lot of the time. The Three Spears on the outside of the ring he did to Ziggler looked good but Ziggler bumped them like a hero. I suppose it always depends on who's taking them.

Hell yeah. Ziggler actually spiked himself at one point, it was brilliant. I love to see OTT selling like that.

Archived