Cat Flaps

Steve Justice

So I fitted a cat flap today. Not the easiest of tasks and with very little room for error. It was borderline that I'd need a new door. Anyway, it's in and I'm pleased with it. Reason we got it is because our cats have been using the side window to get in and out of the house of there own freewill. But they don't really like it (not much room and is a bit of a jump to get too and from the windowsill) and it's not practical for us because it makes the window look really grubby (muddy paws).

I'm rambling now but my question is this. How do I get the little fuckers to use it? I know it was only fitted today but all they've done is sniff the thing. I've physically put them through it both ways to try and get them to figure it out but they got arsey with that. I've resorted to kicking them both out and for them to figure out how to get in themselves. I've even put a little treat the other side to entice them through. They've been out for 2 hours now and they're just sitting there looking at it. Any tips?

Close the window that they use so that the cat flap is their only way outside. They'll naturally go to it because they'll see that the outside world is on the other side of it. If the cat is sitting by the cat flap, or even sitting by the window, just tap the cat flap with your finger so that they hear the noise and see that it opens up and is bascally their access to the outside.

Soon enough, they'll twig that this is the way outside for them (as in a matter of minutes or hours, not days) and when they really want to go outside, they'll use it.

• Paid Members

Make it the only way in/out and they'll figure it out. Did it with my cat flap - have 2 cats. Had to let them work it out themselves. I did hold it open and wave at them from the opposite side with some food so they could see it was there - but I didn't hold it open for them.

• Paid Members

Agreed this thread needs pictures. Not to scare you or anything but my friend had a cat who took a good 6 years to figure it out. He would watch the other 4 go in and out, but didn't use it. Stupid thing would just sit by the front door waiting for someone to go in/out.

Food. My cat is the most stubborn bugger I know. But food will soon sort it. Put them outside, put food other side of door. Spend half an hour opening and closing the door to show the silly sod the food, bouncing between abject frustration and giggles as they try to get their head round it....

Come proper dinner time, just put their food out in the normal place. Make sure the cats are outside. They'll soon work it out.

Here you go.

DSC00115.jpg

I actually thought my door was PVC, and it is for the most part. But where I've cut the whole, the front and back panel is actually metal. I did not realise this until I'd gone through a few drill bits and jigsaw blades. Very lucky really. It turned out OK though.

Quick update, the thick one is a regular user now. The stubborn one is still being stubborn. We have pushed her through it both ways a couple of times now so I think she'll start getting used to it soon. She hated using the side window at first but became used to it quite quickly.

My sister is having the exact same problem with her cat. It's been using the kitchen window to go out for the last week or so, and even when my sis tries to coax it through the catflap with food he'll just stand there meowing like an idiot.

Incidentally, the cat is called Seamus and is ginger and white. I've taken to calling him 'fella' in an Irish accent and singing Sheamus's entrance music whenever he enters the room :thumbsup:

Archived