20 Years Ago Today

Happ Hazzard

Lemmings-BoxScan.jpg

One of the greatest and most original video games was released on February 14th 1991, Lemmings!

I remember losing absolutely hours to it on the Amiga. I do not think I ever completed it though.

Probably holds the record as one of the games ported to most systems as well, with versions from such disparate platforms as the C64, Sam Coupe, Texas Instruments Calculators and 3DO. Not to mention all the mobile phone versions.

Anyone else have any memories of this game?

I interviewed Dave Jones and the rest of the guys who founded DMA Design this afternoon - a plaque was unveiled at their former office for this 20 year thingy. They were right when they said it's a timeless game, it's simple but addictive, and with technology today you can play it almost any way you want really.

I totally sucked at it though. I remember playing Lemmings 3D and being good at that but I knew deep down it just wasn't the same.

An absolute classic. 20 years though! Fuck I feel old. I remember trawling through every game shop within a 20 miles radius of my home at the time in Oswestry trying to find Lemmings 2 shortly after it came out. As it turns out, I never did find it, and to this day have never played it. Did I miss much? In lieu of Lemmings 2 I ended paying a mate to make me copies of Commander Keen, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure and Jill Of The Jungle, which tided me over until my Mega Drive arrived

An absolute classic. 20 years though! Fuck I feel old. I remember trawling through every game shop within a 20 miles radius of my home at the time in Oswestry trying to find Lemmings 2 shortly after it came out. As it turns out, I never did find it, and to this day have never played it. Did I miss much? In lieu of Lemmings 2 I ended paying a mate to make me copies of Commander Keen, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure and Jill Of The Jungle, which tided me over until my Mega Drive arrived

Jesus you just tripped off my nostalgia meter there! Loved the commander keen games, thank god nobody has seen fit to remake those yet.

Ah, bless.

I'm sure I saw an ad the other day that made me think "thats a fucking Lemmings rip off." Some Mario thing?

Is that the Mini Mario game? I had the exact same thought.

I loved Lemmings, it was probably the first game I got really excited while playing other than Sonic the Hedghog.

• Paid Members

Yes, you did. Grab an emulator and get playing. Lemmings 2 is a cracking game.

• Paid Members

What a game! Absolutely loved it to the point where I would dream about it incessantly. My family was too poor to get me an Amiga though, so I had to go around to some cunt's house who I had to pretend to like after school just to play Lemmings and Shadow of the Beast on his Amiga.

Off topic, as good as the Amiga was, Creatures and Creatures 2 on the C64 wiped their arses with their Amiga counterparts.

• Paid Members
Off topic, as good as the Amiga was, Creatures and Creatures 2 on the C64 wiped their arses with their Amiga counterparts.

The C64 wiped the floor with the Amiga for many games and arcade conversions. The C64 Rainbow Islands was far better than the Amiga one, for instance. I remember R-Type being better on the C64 too.

• Paid Members
The C64 wiped the floor with the Amiga for many games and arcade conversions. The C64 Rainbow Islands was far better than the Amiga one, for instance. I remember R-Type being better on the C64 too.

Never played Rainbow Islands on the Amiga. Wasn't too mad on that or Bubble Bobble. Loved The New Zealand Story though. (That had something to do with that series...or was it the same creators or something?)

Turrican's 1 & 2, and the Last Ninja series also piddled on the Amiga versions, sir.

Oh, it's nice to reminisce about the C64. Only thing I hated about the C64 was no matter what I typed in that didn't involve loading a game, would come up with Syntax Error. We've all typed 'FUCK OFF' and got that error...

Archived