Rated RKO?

Kata Ha Jime

WWE creative has discussed reuniting Randy Orton and Edge as a tandem.

The duo is scheduled for a dark match at this Tuesday's SmackDown! taping in Cincinnati, Ohio against WWE Champion The Miz and Dolph Ziggler.

Orton and Edge formed an alliance known as Rated-RKO in October 2006 to challenge the team of Triple H and Shawn Michaels. The group captured the World Tag Team Championship in November 2006 and officially disbanded in May 2007, after Edge moved to the SmackDown! brand.

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Thoughts?

• Paid Members
Reuniting the team for anything other than a one-time thing would be a huge step down for both of them. What are they going to do? Regain the tag titles that mean jack shit nowadays anyway?

Bang on.

Am I the only one who thinks this idea means they'll probably both be leaving the Royal Rumble empty-handed?

First thing I thought other than the obvious huge step down from being the number one contender for the WWE Title and being the World Heavyweight Champion was that they are both on seperate shows but thinking again it doesn't really seem to matter about that as the Tag Team Champions go on both shows anyway don't they? Either way I'd prefer the team to be on one roster rather than one as a Smackdown superstar and the other a Raw superstar. What I was thinking though was they might be planning the World Heavyweight Champion and the WWE Champion holding the Tag Titles together and with them both having history as a tag team who have held the Titles before it's not as if they're sticking two guys together for the hell of it. If it works it could make the Tag Titles a bit more interesting and meaningful again, but I wouldn't hold my breath, even if it does bring the Title back to something meaningful and worth having they'll probably just lose meaning again when Rated RKO lose them or decide to turn on each other.

The NXT winner and their Pro are also set to win a shot at the Tag Titles so I guess having them set to face Rated RKO is a bigger story than having them go against Santino and Koslov. Also an upset victory against Rated RKO would really help to give the NXT team credibility.

I never understand the point in splitting up the Hart Dynasty, it was pointless, the team was a good addition to the division and actually had meaning behind them, with a good link to the past and to the Hart Family and now as singles competitors they've just seemed to have faded into random singles matches on Raw or Superstars.

I dont think it would work with them as faces. WWE need to either just re-boot the whole tag division or just kill it while its dying a very slow painful death. I was a big Rated RKO fan but it only worked with their heel gimmicks. I guess bringing it back for one night only wont hurt anyone but thats all they should do.

• Paid Members
Reuniting the team for anything other than a one-time thing would be a huge step down for both of them. What are they going to do? Regain the tag titles that mean jack shit nowadays anyway?

Right on the money, I hate cobbled together tag teams made up of current singles wrestlers at the best of times, but this would be a massive step down for both of them.

• Paid Members
Seems like bollocks speculation based on a dark match.

It does but I wouldn't mind it.

Right on the money, I hate cobbled together tag teams made up of current singles wrestlers at the best of times, but this would be a massive step down for both of them.

Edge is currently on to his 99th consecutive dire feud as a singles wrestler. Orton isn't up to much as #2 babyface on the Raw roster. Last weeks beating was his first decent involvement in months. Both would be miles more interesting as a pair. I'm just not sure there is anyone for them to work with. There isn't a decent heel tag team for them to work with. One way it would make sense is if Nexus on Raw and The Core on Smackdown take the two of them out. Then they make a pact, win the Tag Titles so that they can legitimately switch brands (lol) and then turn up on both shows to feud with the gangs.

• Paid Members

Bang on.

Am I the only one who thinks this idea means they'll probably both be leaving the Royal Rumble empty-handed?

I hope so. I don't hold any interest in either of them headlining WrestleMania. I know walking out of the Rumble with a title doesn't guarantee you a title match at Mania, because you still have Elmination Chamber, but still.

• Paid Members

I'm all for a Rated RKO reunification. They don't need to be challenging for the tag gold necessarily, but do what DX did for most of their second run and basically fight whoever is in front of them. It would give them both something interesting and relatively fresh to do and if they utilize stuff like the cutting Edge and throw out the odd T-Shirt I can see it being a nice little money spinner for them in the short term. In Nexus they have a ready made stable for a rivalry, and it would also give something for guys like Sheamus to do, seeing as he's currently treading water a bit despite his King of the Ring win. For guys like Sheamus and the scrubs like McGuillicuty in Nexus, it would be a good thing for them to have an entity like Rated RKO to go up against. Throw in Christian into the mix as a semi-recurring comedy sidekick for the duo and I think you've got some decent tele on your hands.

It wouldn't be ground breaking or anything, but potentially I think it could be a lot of fun. I think their initial run was pretty good and ended a bit prematurely for my liking, they at least showed they had good chemistry. Orton's rugged attitude and Edge's Rated R characteristics make for a nice dynamic. One way to go with them might be to have them continuously push the envelope with regards to the PG rating. Nothing drastic obviously and I hardly expect them to start getting their backside's out ala DX back in the 90's, but just stuff to keep them in the limelight as WWE's cool, rebellious (ish) babyfaces would work a treat.

• Paid Members

I think it's time WWE did another main-event tag belts feud, to rival that of the Megamaniacs vs. Money Inc. and The Power Trip vs. Benoit & Jericho. It'd be good to see, even if the belts ended up getting pissed away again.

I think it's time WWE did another main-event tag belts feud, to rival that of the Megamaniacs vs. Money Inc. and The Power Trip vs. Benoit & Jericho. It'd be good to see, even if the belts ended up getting pissed away again.

They did it a year ago with DX vs JeriShow.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. Didn't feel particularly main event though - more sort of upper-midcard, even with the main event status of the guys involved.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. Didn't feel particularly main event though - more sort of upper-midcard, even with the main event status of the guys involved.

^ This, didn't feel main event at all.

Archived