I want to quit smoking...

Akbhar Shabazz Jenkins

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just stopped buying cigarettes. Easy. There's a whole industry out there trying to make people believe that quitting smoking is some kind of spiritual quest when in actuality it's as simple as not doing it anymore. If you want to quit smoking you will, if not you won't.

• Paid Members

I quit for about a year and a half. Initially I thought I might have some serious lung problem as I felt a pain in my chest when I breathed, so I didn't smoke for two days. I worked up the courage to go to the doctor and it turned out I'd only pulled a muscle in my rib. As I'd gone two days, I figured I might as well have a crack at stopping. I bought a shit load of sweets and stuck it out. Very angry for about 4 days (including shouting at cars, and thinking up insults for cars in-case they didn't indicate at traffic lights), ill for one, after that it was a doddle. I ended up starting again because I had a few cheeky smokes when I was pissed now and again, now I'm back to square one, smoking as much as I used to, if not more. I'll know for next time.

I'm now about to quit in the next few weeks myself, like Vito says I just plan on never buying anymore and hope that I stick to it. I started 7 years ago because my girfriend at the time did. I used to smoke weed daily till I finished with her back in 2005, quit the weed overnight but never managed to quit the cigs. This time I'm hoping my efforts are more fruitful, I'm ok when I've got things to do, but at the minute I'm out of work so I probably do it out of boredom more than anything now. When my girlfriend comes home from work in the evenings I dont have any more than 2 or 3 the rest of the evening, as where during the day from 9-6 I'll get through about 12-15.

• Paid Members

The thing that's put me off of smoking again is the rumoured "One cigarette takes X amount of minutes off your life" spiel. Of course, you could be a smoker and get murdered by a bus. It would nulify the theory, but it would also nulify you. :/

Edit: Or you could put a rubber band on your wrist and ping it every time you want one.

• Paid Members

My mum used those little inhaler things. Even when the cartridge had ran out, she still just kept them to chew on. She's not smoked for well over a year now and has no urges to start. She gets angry at my brother for smoking because it stinks the house out and everyone hates it. Now she doesn't smoke she can smell how awful it is for everyone else.

Simple answer is, you are gonna want to have something do with your hands, but it's just an excuse for a cigarette. There will be lots of them, the only thing you can do is just not smoke, no matter what excuse you body/mind throws up at you. Plain, don't have one. Like someone said before, the first four days or so are the worst. Then there's the killer mistake of going 'Oh wow, i haven't had a smoke in months, I can treat myself to a cheeky one..' Then your back on a pack a day soon enough.

Simply, it's very hard, just get used to the idea that your not gonna have another cigarette again.

That said, I did use a crutch to help me quit. For the first two months, I smoked a shisha pipe. They are still really bad for you but not as addictive. About once a week, ususally when I had bad cravings I'd go to a shisha cafe and smoke that. I found that helped ween me off and stopped me lapsing back.

Hope that helps,

• Paid Members
My mum used those little inhaler things. Even when the cartridge had ran out, she still just kept them to chew on. She's not smoked for well over a year now and has no urges to start. She gets angry at my brother for smoking because it stinks the house out and everyone hates it. Now she doesn't smoke she can smell how awful it is for everyone else.

Yeah, thats what I used as well. Never bothered with the refills, just used it so I had something to hold and simulate the actions of smoking. But like Vito says, the biggest thing is just to stop smoking, as long as you mean it then you'll do it.

I'm one of those lucky gits who can smoke a pack in a night whenever I feel like. I never get addicted, can smoke non stop for weeks then just stop for months without any urge to have one. I do smoke Menthols 95% of the time so I dunno if they are less addictive or not. So I guess its hard for me to understand the addiction cause just stopping is no problem for me.

My mates smoke and they try stopping but their downfall is always going out on piss then drunkenly getting some cigs and starting up again.

Try taking the ends off a biro and removing the ink part and faux smoking the tube if you miss holding one, I heard thats good.

I know a few people who have quit using those champix tablets without any problem and another person I know was a 20+ a day who bought one of those electronic cigs and has never smoked a 'real' one since.

If you are finding it super hard I'd recommend going to the doctors for those champix tablets.

It'll be three weeks this coming Friday since I last had one, I know it's not a great length of time yet but it's a start. I started when I was 16 and have smoked at least a ten pack per day for the past couple of years (I'm 20), plus more if I was going for a drink. I've not used anything, just gone cold turkey. I was a fucking nightmare the first few days though, constantly losing my temper with irrelevant things (thank god I never stubbed my toe, I'd be PMing crawlingwest for some pointers), but since then I've found it a lot easier. Whenever I do get a craving I either just have a walk about the house, or go for a shit (never smoked in the house) so it soon takes my mind off it.

What I'm worried about is when I go for a few drinks with my mates, as a lot of them smoke. Ergo I've not been out the past couple of weekends whatsoever. I feel like CM cunting Punk, Straight Edge as fuck.

• Paid Members

I quit last February. Was fucking horrendously difficult, but I just decided enough was enough. I did the cold turkey gig which personally I found easier than relying on something that made me think of, and miss, the bastard cigarettes each time I chewed or inhaled.

Now be prepared to pile on weight and get a lot of colds and cough up the black phlegm, but try tell yourself that the next coughing up of black phlegm is your next smoke. That's how I did it. I'd cough up a load of gunk and go "See, feeling better" and then have a glass of water.

I still smoke weed on occasion but each of the oul once arounds are sans tobacco, if you will.

I started smoking when I was 15 and quit cold turkey for 2 years. Took it back up again on holiday and last November just chucked it again. For me it's a day to day thing. More about trying not to smoke that day. I dont buy cigs obviously and if someone offers one I try to say no. Ive drunkenly puffed 3 cigs since November and didnt enjoy any of em. With all due respect to people who find it harder than I do, I don't buy this whole "miss something to do with my hands" stuff.

My other half has just quit. The best thing to do is go through your doctors. You have to go in every two weeks and blow into this little tube thingy which can tell if you've had a ciggy or not. Plus remember the amount of money it cost and at the end of the month buy yourself something with the money you've saved.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Archived