I want to quit smoking...

Akbhar Shabazz Jenkins

I gave up in 2008 after smoking for around 16 years, I used nicotine patches which I think definitely made it easier. However the main thing that helped me was that I had made a promise to my wife that I would give up when we had kids, and she got pregnant so that was my motivation. I think if I had just been trying to quit for the sake of it I would have failed, however when there is a baby on the way you don't want to be wreathed in poisonous chemicals. Giving up was one of the best things I have done. I still smoke joints now and then, they don't count.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i stoped just over 9 months ago, and it was not easy, but once i got the first 7-10 days out of the way i managed to get through the cravings as id got used to them and knew they only lasted about 10-20 minutes at a time, like someone else here has said i found the hardest thing was having something to hold and keeping my hands busy, so i bought a pack of tooth picks razor ramon style and they really really helped, i used to smoke whenever i had somewere to walk to so id peel and eat a orange or 2 during my walks to work ect and found that filled the time well, like i said tho its not easy, i still fancy one now and again and i have regular dreams were ill be smoking or buying a pack and sparking one up, i feel ive got a grip on it tho! good luck!

p.s football manager was also a great way to kill time during cravings and keep the bordem at bay.

I quit ten days ago after four and a half years of smoking. Ten days doesn't sound like a long time, but I'm not one of those smokers who tries to quit every two minutes. I think I've tried twice before, with no real conviction or intent to actually give up.

This time is different. I feel ready to chuck them. The way I see it, there is every incentive to quit smoking and none to keep it going. I have been out on three nights out since then and not felt the urge to join my friends for a fag, most of whom are heavy smokers. I've also bought the Allen Carr book which most people who give it up seem to swear by, so I'll start that soon.

Ultimately, I think the best advice is Vito's. You just simply have to stop buying fags. The smell of tobacco is really disgusting when I think about it, especially Mayfair which is what I took to buying most due to its price. Throw away any lighters or fag packets you have lying around, and wash any clothes that smell of smoke.

Read "the only way to quit smoking" by Allen Carr. You can get it in Waterstones for about the price of a 20 pack these days. Does a great job of exposing the reasons you want to smoke for what they are. You can smoke while you read it and I haven't had the urge to smoke since finishing.

• Paid Members
I quit smoking last year. Just went cold turkey. I had only been smoking for 2 days though so I guess it wasnt that hard.

:confused: :confused:

Wait you quit smoking? the way you put that is kind of a insult to anybody who has quit something they have became addicted too. What you mean is you just stopped smoking as you did not like it.

• Paid Members
I quit smoking last year. Just went cold turkey. I had only been smoking for 2 days though so I guess it wasnt that hard.

Wait you quit smoking? the way you put that is kind of a insult to anybody who has quit something they have became addicted too. What you mean is you just stopped smoking as you did not like it.

Fucking hell, Deaq.

I'm one of those lucky gits who can smoke a pack in a night whenever I feel like. I never get addicted, can smoke non stop for weeks then just stop for months without any urge to have one. I do smoke Menthols 95% of the time so I dunno if they are less addictive or not. So I guess its hard for me to understand the addiction cause just stopping is no problem for me.

My mates smoke and they try stopping but their downfall is always going out on piss then drunkenly getting some cigs and starting up again.

Try taking the ends off a biro and removing the ink part and faux smoking the tube if you miss holding one, I heard thats good.

That could be the reason why you don't get addicted. i have a friend who can smoke for about a month and then quit for three months and if memory serves me right she smoked richmond menthols.

If your not keen on going completely cold turkey just smoke one less everyday until you smoke none altogether. Also any money u spend on cigs every week into a jar or something then when it's full count it up you'll be amazed by how much you've saved over a short period of time.

I'm one of those lucky gits who can smoke a pack in a night whenever I feel like. I never get addicted, can smoke non stop for weeks then just stop for months without any urge to have one. I do smoke Menthols 95% of the time so I dunno if they are less addictive or not. So I guess its hard for me to understand the addiction cause just stopping is no problem for me.

My mates smoke and they try stopping but their downfall is always going out on piss then drunkenly getting some cigs and starting up again.

Try taking the ends off a biro and removing the ink part and faux smoking the tube if you miss holding one, I heard thats good.

That could be the reason why you don't get addicted. i have a friend who can smoke for about a month and then quit for three months and if memory serves me right she smoked richmond menthols.

If your not keen on going completely cold turkey just smoke one less everyday until you smoke none altogether. Also any money u spend on cigs every week into a jar or something then when it's full count it up you'll be amazed by how much you've saved over a short period of time.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, Deaq.

? Did I read too much into it was he taking the piss? Can't be sure with KrAzY he sounds like a 12 year old when he says things like that, but if it was a joke I fell head 1st into into it. If not then he must be a right fucking spastic.

• Moderators

I switched to menthols a couple years ago and it has made zero impact on my smoking habits (other than less people wanting to bum fags off me...)

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, Deaq.

? Did I read too much into it was he taking the piss? Can't be sure with KrAzY he sounds like a 12 year old when he says things like that, but if it was a joke I fell head 1st into into it. If not then he must be a right fucking spastic.

Of course he was taking the piss, he does it all the time and winds up the forum idiots time and time again.

Archived