Music: Recommend an Album Thread!

Egg Shen

Daytona- My Obsession with Elizabeth Montgomery

41SESRB8STL.jpg

'One album wonder' band signed to Bluedog Records in the 1990's This Wolverhampton based band didnt really know where they fit, they were reviewed by Kerrang at the time but arent really even Heavy Rock. Guitar based Indie band is more appropriate, but even then it is not something for NME or Q. Hints of Dodgy, Radiohead and even some throwback 1950's style riffs and harmonies. Well worth a shot and a shame they never made it.

Stand out tracks from the album include: Conversation@list (links to 4 Album tracks on their myspace as seen as there is no Mp3 that I can see), American Disco Dancer, and Going Nowhere.

Costs from less than a quid on Amazon

Failing that, I'll sneak in The Dawn- 5 Days Wiser

61pwDSPWqVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

EP from Preston based stoner band, another band on the verge of all things great and then suddenly imploded ( It appears to be a local trait) with tours with the likes of Thunder, Orange Goblin, 2 EP's and plenty of coverage in Kerrang then all should have been good. It wasnt. This is their 2nd EP, the 1st/demo put out by Wiiija/Action Records, has I assume been lost forever and their 3rd one, Getting By On The Good Times is a change of direction for the band ( still uber ace mind) with a more whistful bluesyness to it.

EP is previewed on Amazon

Enjoy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Solitary Confinement by Rhyme Asylum

51ZeMYYSbVL.jpg

No idea how these guys are still so underground, this is easily some of the best Hip-Hop to come from the UK in a long time.

The lyrical style is a little out there and may kind of fit in with the "horrorcore" scene at times but don't let that put you off as i know, most of that stuff is absolute shite. The word play and lyricism is just stunningly good, the ammount of lines that just stop you in your tracks are endless.

Add in some awesome production and even a guest appearance by Ill Bill and you might have one of the best rap albums of 2010.

Someone was trying to push their cd on me in the line to a gig recently and I thought it looked pretty interesting (the Ill Bill guest spot caught my eye tbh).. I propmtly got drunk at the gig and forgot about it entirely, so cheers for this post; I'll have to check this out..

• Paid Members

Mr.Bungle's musical progression (or regression, depending on what kind of fan you are) from the cartoon circus funk metal ska of the eponymous debut to the avant garde Zorn and B-Movie score influenced genius of Disco Volante to the slightly more accessible dulcet tones of California.

Aja by Steely Dan

The Gold Collection of Peter Tosh

One Size Fits All or Baby Snakes by Frank Zappa

Vulgar Display of Power by Pantera

Angel Dust - Faith No More

Mondo Cane - Mondo Cane

Eargasm - Sykotik Sinfoney

• Paid Members
Daytona- My Obsession with Elizabeth Montgomery

41SESRB8STL.jpg

'One album wonder' band signed to Bluedog Records in the 1990's This Wolverhampton based band didnt really know where they fit, they were reviewed by Kerrang at the time but arent really even Heavy Rock. Guitar based Indie band is more appropriate, but even then it is not something for NME or Q. Hints of Dodgy, Radiohead and even some throwback 1950's style riffs and harmonies. Well worth a shot and a shame they never made it.

Stand out tracks from the album include: Conversation@list (links to 4 Album tracks on their myspace as seen as there is no Mp3 that I can see), American Disco Dancer, and Going Nowhere.

Costs from less than a quid on Amazon

Failing that, I'll sneak in The Dawn- 5 Days Wiser

61pwDSPWqVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

EP from Preston based stoner band, another band on the verge of all things great and then suddenly imploded ( It appears to be a local trait) with tours with the likes of Thunder, Orange Goblin, 2 EP's and plenty of coverage in Kerrang then all should have been good. It wasnt. This is their 2nd EP, the 1st/demo put out by Wiiija/Action Records, has I assume been lost forever and their 3rd one, Getting By On The Good Times is a change of direction for the band ( still uber ace mind) with a more whistful bluesyness to it.

EP is previewed on Amazon

Enjoy

:thumbsup: i know we're gonna go back and forth a lot in this thread.

I own both, i've got the last EP by The Dawn as well. I've got a few other Daytona releases, singles and whatever if you were ever intersted in getting hold of the b-sides.

Ever hear of a band called Gigantic? they were signed to a major label, they toured with Bush in the States and then they disappeared. I've got a few of their singles, they had some potential to be massive. I can't find anything about them online though, they've simply disappeared from the planet.

Did i dream it all up?

Jane Doe - Converge - So good I got the artwork tattooed! My favourite song ever is the title track.

The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me - Brand New - If you've heard Brand New's first two albums you, like me, probably thought they weren't capable of this. It's a stunning suckerpunch.

Option Paralysis - The Dillinger Escape Plan - Their finest work to date.

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning - Bright Eyes - I usually hate twee, acoustic songwriters and Conor Oberst is certainly that, but he's also fucking excellent when he writes stuff like this.

This Will Destroy You - This Will Destroy You - Aggressive and beautiful post-rock.

Couldn't agree more with these selections. Though i'd maybe pick Calculating Infinity for DEP simply because it's THE album. Jane Doe however, simply MUST be heard by anybody with the slightest interest in extreme music or even just heavy music. Absolutely seminal and no wonder whatsoever why it's so high in these best metal album lists

:thumbsup: i know we're gonna go back and forth a lot in this thread.

I own both, i've got the last EP by The Dawn as well. I've got a few other Daytona releases, singles and whatever if you were ever intersted in getting hold of the b-sides.

Ever hear of a band called Gigantic? they were signed to a major label, they toured with Bush in the States and then they disappeared. I've got a few of their singles, they had some potential to be massive. I can't find anything about them online though, they've simply disappeared from the planet.

Did i dream it all up?

Ive got the singles for Little Things and Sunny Day. Some of the B sides are corking especially for demos. I havent got the American Disco Dancer Single. Though this will be remedied in about 2 secs as just found it on Amazon :thumbsup: Wish Id seen them live or even know what they are up too now.

The Dawn stuff is fantastic, it really is. Seen them live too many times to mention whilst at university. When Iam next in town I'am going to head to Action Records and see if they can dig up the 1st EP as tracks like Losing Streak on the Kerrang Cassette and Second Sun and Damage The Devil on their My Space page here, must MUST exist somewhere on record or CD? Thus far Ive turned up a blank wherever Ive looked.

Gigantic are a new one on me and the net seems awful quiet you got any links?

• Paid Members

that's the same two singles i have, haha :) i don't think i have any others, i'll check.

I aint listened to either EP of The Dawn's since the time i had them, i'll give them a listen tomorrow :)

I can't find a thing about Gigantic, it's weird. They were on a major label too, i'll find the singles (ive got a big box of old cd's, there's some right random shit in there, you'd love it).

I'm gonna set up a new youtube account and get some of these tracks up on there.

• Paid Members
Jane Doe - Converge - So good I got the artwork tattooed! My favourite song ever is the title track.

The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me - Brand New - If you've heard Brand New's first two albums you, like me, probably thought they weren't capable of this. It's a stunning suckerpunch.

Option Paralysis - The Dillinger Escape Plan - Their finest work to date.

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning - Bright Eyes - I usually hate twee, acoustic songwriters and Conor Oberst is certainly that, but he's also fucking excellent when he writes stuff like this.

This Will Destroy You - This Will Destroy You - Aggressive and beautiful post-rock.

Couldn't agree more with these selections. Though i'd maybe pick Calculating Infinity for DEP simply because it's THE album. Jane Doe however, simply MUST be heard by anybody with the slightest interest in extreme music or even just heavy music. Absolutely seminal and no wonder whatsoever why it's so high in these best metal album lists

Converge are the type of band that i have to be in the right mood to listen too, at times i can't face 'em but when i'm up for it, they fucking crush. I've neglected their last few releases as i kind of fell out of the loop with the hardcore scene...at one point i was very much in it as far as being upto date with the music, going to shows etc. but i find that whole scene depressing, the lifestyle boasts about unity and open-mindedness all that shit, and there's some people who live it correctly but the scene got so watered down with fucking posers that i kind of lost touch :(

I've never really given Brand New a fair crack of the whip either, i need too.

• Paid Members

i love the internet!

done a little digging on Gigantic just to confirm that i wasn't dreaming.

Gigantic were formed by a couple of members of a London band called Flesh For Lulu, who were moderately successful but seem to have kept a bit of a cult following, one of their songs even covered by The Goo Goo Dolls. Gigantic formed, signed to Columbia Records, released an album which flopped and were the dropped and broke up.

The album they released has since been re-released under the Flesh For Lulu name, but it's title has changed from Disenchanted to 'Gigantic'.

i just bought the album used from amazon marketplace for 1p....unbelievable what you can find with a little research :)

51tNuBHVRuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51uuGBn0J4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Converge are the type of band that i have to be in the right mood to listen too, at times i can't face 'em but when i'm up for it, they fucking crush. I've neglected their last few releases as i kind of fell out of the loop with the hardcore scene...at one point i was very much in it as far as being upto date with the music, going to shows etc. but i find that whole scene depressing, the lifestyle boasts about unity and open-mindedness all that shit, and there's some people who live it correctly but the scene got so watered down with fucking posers that i kind of lost touch :(

I've never really given Brand New a fair crack of the whip either, i need too.

Haha, I wholeheartedly agree with you over 'hardcore'. I went to a basement show acouple of months ago and I said after it that it was the last hardcore show I was going to..and by hardcore I mean of the meathead/two steppin' variety. Full of knuckleheaded posturing, dirty looks and people just being arrogant cunts. So much hypocricy it makes me kinda sick. Converge however, are undoubtedly the kings of head crushing music. You need to buy their last release 'Axe To Fall', i'd say it's likely their best after 'JD'.

As for Brand New, get the album suggested here as it's brilliant and their last one too, 'Daisy', as that progresses the dark and sparse indie rock they've become known for. Two totally worthwhile records that hipsters will stick their noses up at becasue they still believe Brand New are playing pop punk to 12 year old girls

Archived