FSM Thread

Vipes

All media however independent it seems generally has an agenda. If you like your news with a right wing slant, read the Daily Telegraph, if you are more of a liberal then read the Guardian, if you like boobs, then get the Sun and so on. Although they all report basically the same stories, they can be reported in a very different way. Editorial pieces meanwhile in all newspapers can be extremely baised towards the paper's political leaning.

Wrestling press is undoubtably the same. It is easy to see biases in both FSM and Powerslam (and Wrestling Observer or The Torch or whatever you read for that matter). As with any media the best thing to do is to take any written opinion with a pinch of salt, and try to form your own.

All media however independent it seems generally has an agenda.

As do consumers. Some will like FSM, others may not.

All Brian can do as an editor is to try to put out a product that the majority of fans will like.

You can't please all of the people, all of the time. That's simply an impossible task.

There will always be dissenting views; for instance those that don't like a certain wrestling figure, and are of the opinion coverage is being influenced by said figure. Often that opinion is given with virtually no evidence at all, since they aren't privvy to conversations/negotiations/business deals/editorial decisions. As Brian himself said, sometimes decisions taken are as simple as the writer just having their own opinion and giving it in the magazine. Not sure why people get hung up on the 'he gave an opinion'/'it's not unbiased' stuff. All good writing gives the writers' opinion. It's for the intelligent reader (and I'm not saying anyone who disagrees with this is unintelligent!) to form their own opinion. Good writing (in my opinion) should provoke a reaction. Otherwise, things would be pretty boring and make for a drab read.

Edited by ClassicsGuy

Just a quick point about a few of the changes to FSM this month.

Really loving the new layout of the magazine. It's alot more structured and it looks more professional. I like little details (eg: the numbering of the pictures when a blurb about each). I really do feel that it looks less amatuer and alot more professional

On a side note: The articles seem alot more informative this month. I particularly loved the Finlay article and have so much more appreciation for him now. I am going to check out some of his matches tomorrow as I am off work and look for the small details I probably missed before!

Some really good stuff and well worth catching IMO

I've just got the new issue, so only had a quick flick through and now started reading the opening feature on Mania weekend, so can't comment on this month's content just yet, but I have to say the new look is a massive improvement. The magazine feels far more sleek and professional, and seems a lot more text-heavy - I'm not sure if that's the case or it's just an illusion due to the less cluttered layout, but it's definitely an improvement on the amateurish 'fanzine' design we're used to from British wrestling mags. Mentioning no names...

• Awards Moderator

Picked up the new issue today (first one I've bought since October) to check out the new layout, and I like it, generally speaking. It's really clear, easy to read and I bet it looks great on an iPad. The new columnists are great coups - seriously, Brian, you should be making a massive deal about Stone Cold writing for you!Content-wise, there's a nice mix of stuff. The little additions since last time I bought, like using Apter for little sidebar stories rather than two pages, and the tweets that pop up in various top corners are nice touches. I'd actually like a bit more MMA - or UFC, anyway - a couple of pages or a bio feature every month, maybe. I don't often get a chance to watch UFC, but I like to try and keep up to date with it, so FSM was usually quite useful for that.My only problem with the new layout is that maybe the various articles all look a little too similar - on first glance through the magazine I had a bit of trouble spotting where one feature ended and the next began. One of my favourite pages was actually one of the contents pages - the one with the big picture of James Storm - perhaps using a page like that to introduce an article or feature, with a big picture, then keeping the bulk of the article similar throughout the magazine, might work. Alternatively, I really liked how the BritWres stories in the News section were clearly marked out with a small 'UK NEWS' tab. Maybe if every piece in the mag had something like that ('WWE INTERVIEW', or 'JAPAN' or 'INDY REVIEW' or 'LEGEND HISTORY' or something) to show clearly and quickly what you're looking at before you start. A third idea would be to keep the layout the same, but change up different pieces stylistically - for example, the FCW article this month was interesting enough (though I could have done with the bracket-real-name-colon-close-brackets in each section) but rather than the analysis within, a series of half page spreads on each featured wrestler, introducing them more like the bio pages on the FCW website, could have worked. But maybe that's a question of target audiences - are the readers of FSM people who already know who Dean Ambrose or Antonio Cesaro are, or are they people who wouldn't have a clue what Tyler Black did in 2009? Now that the presentation issue has been sorted, that readership question might be the next thing for FSM to tackle.Anyway, these are all little details - the new layout is an improvement on the old one, and that's the main thing.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Really liked the layout and most of the content in the most recent issue: - I thought a couple of points are worth bringing up though:

Steve Austin's column is a good idea in theory, but thought he could have done better than talking about Bill Apter - as it came off more like Apter's old columns where he ws going on about meeting various wrestlers, just from someone else's perspective....

The question to Alex Shane about maintaining heat in a match came across as a bit cringeworthy - just from my own personal perspective, I don't think it's appropriate to have a question from one wrestler to another about something very specific and 'insidery' in a publication like this - wouldn't want to comment either way on Shane's suitability as an answerer of such questions, but I just don't lie the whole idea.

Rest of the magazine was very good though, and really liked the Lister piece on the court cases in early-mid 1990s.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Got the new issue of this and really liked it. The article on Davey Boy Smith is brilliant. The pictures are great as well. I also liked Bret Hart's column, the youtube review section and the article on Vampiro, too. A really good looking magazine as well.I thought Apter was gone? Not complaining, I just thought FSM had gotten rid.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

Got the new issue of this and really liked it. The article on Davey Boy Smith is brilliant. The pictures are great as well. I also liked Bret Hart's column, the youtube review section and the article on Vampiro, too. A really good looking magazine as well.I thought Apter was gone? Not complaining, I just thought FSM had gotten rid.

Thanks for the kind words. Bill still works with us in a behind-the-scenes capacity, so he'll pop up now and again. :)

Issue 80 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

21kdyev.jpg

In this month's edition, FSM has features on:

- Why wrestling's top heels are so often cheered

- How Brock Lesnar can rebound following his loss at Extreme Rules

- FSM pays tribute to Davey Boy Smith, and talks to his family about the man himself

- How Vince McMahon Sr. paved the way for his son's global success

- FSM looks back on 10 years of TNA Wrestling

- How Jimmy Jacobs became one of pro wrestling's best character actors

- FSM examines the weird and wild world of Vampiro

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Alongside Jim Cornette and Nick

• 3 weeks later...
Steve Austin's column is a good idea in theory, but thought he could have done better than talking about Bill Apter - as it came off more like Apter's old columns where he ws going on about meeting various wrestlers, just from someone else's perspective....

Steve's first column was certainly a kind of introductory one. In the upcoming issue (June 14), he gets much more down to business in talking about promos. I hope you'll enjoy it. :)

Thanks everyone for the kind words about the new layout et cetera. I really hope you are also enjoying our mix of immediately-relevant articles with those looking at wrestling history.

I'd be delighted to hear any more constructive feedback, or suggestions at what you'd like to see us cover in the future.

Steve's first column was certainly a kind of introductory one. In the upcoming issue (June 14), he gets much more down to business in talking about promos. I hope you'll enjoy it. :)

I'm sure I will - you should get Bret Hart back in the guest columnist spot as his column from May's issue was really good!

Issue 80 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

21kdyev.jpg

- Why wrestling's top heels are so often cheered

- How Brock Lesnar can rebound following his loss at Extreme Rules

- FSM pays tribute to Davey Boy Smith, and talks to his family about the man himself

- How Vince McMahon Sr. paved the way for his son's global success

- FSM looks back on 10 years of TNA Wrestling

- How Jimmy Jacobs became one of pro wrestling's best character actors

- FSM examines the weird and wild world of Vampiro

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Alongside Jim Cornette and Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Issue 81 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

rh05lv.jpg

- Chris Jericho, who talks to FSM about his current relationship with pro wrestling

- What history has to tell us about live wrestling TV, and three-hour weekly shows

- Why Triple-H must be self-sacrificing if he is to succeed as Head of Talent Relations

- How Vince McMahon's WWE changed in-ring wrestling, perhaps forever

- AJ Styles talks to FSM about his career, and his upcoming UK appearance

- How Japanese pro wrestling has so often thrived in utilising inter-promotional matches

- Why no other heavyweight can match the performances of Big Japan's Daisuke Sekimoto

- How Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen came to be the biggest grudge match in the history of MMA

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. Back in the hotseat this month is “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, as he delivers a fascinating column on promos. from what makes a good promo, to the greatest exponents of the art, his own development in that area, and his advice to young wrestlers. Jim Cornette is also on hand to discuss the evolution of different styles of wrestling, and TNA's Nick “Magnus” Aldis reflects on the group's summer move to live television, and the pros and cons of doing so.

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp . However, if you prefer to pick up FSM at your newsagent, WH Smith and Easons stock FSM in the UK and Ireland. For other outlets, please consider asking them to reserve your copy each month. Not only will a print subscription save you significantly on FSM's cover price, but you'll also receive each issue a day or two early (subject to an efficient postal service), and get our free gift of the three-disc WWE: Hulk Hogan's Unreleased Collector's Series DVD.

We hope you enjoy the content of FSM this month, and will give us some feedback either on Facebook, Twitter, or via contact(at)fightingspiritmagazine(dot)co(dot)uk. With 84 packed pages, FSM is by far the biggest pro wrestling publication on the news-stands, and features the most diverse, informative content, too. If you would like to see a topic discussed in the pages of FSM, please also get in touch.

http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp

Edited by Brian Elliott