• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
Jack Swagger.

Cody Rhodes.

Sheamus.

John Morrison.

I don't think any of them are any further on than they were a year ago. Shaemus is a better worker and John Morrison looks like he's on the verge of breaking through but I don't feel any have progressed.

• Paid Members
Jack Swagger.

Cody Rhodes.

Sheamus.

John Morrison.

I don't think any of them are any further on than they were a year ago. Shaemus is a better worker and John Morrison looks like he's on the verge of breaking through but I don't feel any have progressed.

In Rhodes' and Swagger's case they've been severely hindered by the state of the Smackdown roster. However I thought Swagger stepped up to the plate when breaking into the main event and became an incredible joy to watch, even if he was booked rather poorly. Similarly I thought Cody's developing of the Dashing gimmick was superb and how well he advanced in the ring was also surprising to say the least. He and Swagger are the only two I'll watch on Smackdown nowadays.

Sheamus started the year as champ, sure, but he wasn't really accepted in the role for a while. I'd argue until he took out Triple H and snapped up his second title that he didn't really shine that much. When he did get another shot though, boy did he run with it. He's a pleasure to watch on Raw now and has even brushed up his ring work in his recent outings with Morrison and Orton. Speaking of which, Morrison started the year as a floundering bland midcard babyface who looked nearer to being fired than given the main event push. Then, at some point mid-way through the year, something seemed to click for both him and the booking team and he built up this tremendous momentum. He's FINALLY found his stride as a face and, though not QUITE ready yet, looks poised to become a prominent feature of the main event in the new year.

Considering how the position of all four men looked at the beginning of the year, I'd say that they've "broken out" into strong characters and enjoyable workers. It does depend on how you define "breakout star" though, I'll admit, but if Miz deserves a nomination (and he does) I'd argue that these do also.

Morrison is still getting the same so-so reactions he got a year ago. No wonder his match with Miz aint on PPV. Neither of them are getting main event level reactions the company thought they might.

Breakout my arse.

Can we have Ken Anderson? As opposed to Ken Kennedy, if you see what I mean. He's been brilliant in TNA all year, a World Champion in waiting, a legitimate fan favourite and star, a "draw" as much as any wrestler is a draw. I think he'll be the number 2 guy in TNA in 2011 after Angle, which is pretty great going considering a lot of smarks had him as washed up at the start of 2010.

• Paid Members
Can we have Ken Anderson? As opposed to Ken Kennedy, if you see what I mean. He's been brilliant in TNA all year, a World Champion in waiting, a legitimate fan favourite and star, a "draw" as much as any wrestler is a draw. I think he'll be the number 2 guy in TNA in 2011 after Angle, which is pretty great going considering a lot of smarks had him as washed up at the start of 2010.

He very nearly made my list for wrestler of the year, he's been excellent. In terms of breaking out, I personally think he's back to the level he was at when he first broke through and looked likely to be a big star. IMO, he's kinda broken back through rather than broken out in the way that Daniel Bryan has.

• Paid Members

Alberto Del Rio (big deal, fairly quickly)

Wade Barratt (from relative obscurity to focal point and carrying much of the weight of the biggest, most prominent angle/feud of the year and performing PPV in main events, carried himself tremendously throughout).

Daniel Bryan